My dialect is Teochew, although I do not speak the language well.
My wife is also Teochew. Her dad is English-educated, while her mom is Chinese-educated, so the way they communicate is via their native mother tongue, ie. Teochew.
When my in-laws first accepted the Lord at Easter 2006, we tried bringing them to our church's Mandarin service. It was however tough on my dad-in-law because he does not understand Mandarin.
After struggling for about a year, we discovered that Paya Lebar Chinese Methodist Church has Teochew services each Sunday at 2pm. This church is just down the road from our church, and not very far from where my in-laws live.
I could not understand Teochew when I first courted my wife, but after years of listening to her speak with her parents, my vocabulary has improved.I have started to enjoy the Teochew services as well, because it helps me to brush up on my biblical vocabulary.
Those of you out there with Teochew-speaking relatives may want to check this service out.
Besides PLCMC, there are also 6 other churches that offer Teochew services. You can click on the links to get to their website.
1. Singapore Life Church
2. Bethel Presbyterian Church
3. Thomson Road Baptist Church
4. Newton Life Church
5. Leng Kwang Baptist Church
6. Revival Centre Church
No comments:
Post a Comment