Sunday, 12th April 2009
This morning, my whole family went to church very early, even before the sun came out.
Methodists have a tradition, and that is to hold a service early on Easter Sunday, called a Sunrise Service.
Last year was my first time attending one. The turnout was about 100 people.
This year, the turnout more than trebled to about 350 people.
Ps Reuben preached a 7-point sermon on the resurrection, but the 5th point was the one that was a revelation to me.
In Jn 20:2-7, it was recorded that Peter and John ran to the tomb after hearing Mary Magdalene tell them that it was empty. John, being younger, reached the tomb before Peter did. He peered inside and saw the linen wrappings lying there, but did not go in.
Peter arrived later and entered the tomb and saw the face-cloth rolled up in a place by itself.
When the tomb was discovered to the empty, some detractors had accused the disciples of stealing away the body. But if that was the case, then it would have had to be done hurriedly. There would not have been time for the disciples to neatly roll up the face-cloth.
Yet it was.
And although it was not mentioned who rolled it up, a reasonable conclusion is that Jesus Himself did that. It showed that our Saviour was so cool, calm and rested about His resurrection that He even found the time and composure to roll up the face-cloth.
Likewise, we who are His children, can be peaceful and restful, because Jesus Himself is the Prince of Peace. Hallelujah!

13 comments:
Hi, Malcolm - this week when you are away, the meeting in NCC was AWESOME. In the last segment, Sean Goh sang a song and it was written from the view point/perspective of Simon who was forced to carry the cross for Jesus...it was so beautiful. I hope they will play it again or make available in DVD...see whether you could get someone to play it for you.
That song was "Watch the Lamb" originally done by Ray Boltz.
This week we touched on the shoulder plates, with the 12 names of the tribes of Israel upon them, in order of their birth. Shoulders symbolizing strength, the key point was to let ourselves to be resting upon the strength of our Lord. He starts something, He will finish it!
Next week we are probably going into Urim and Thummim.
I cried during the song ... wish it can be put on youtube so that more people can be blessed by it ... i think the song is called "Watch the Lamb". AWESOME!
Amen Malcolm, our Lord Jesus is always cool. Here's what I heard it meant. There are no insignificant details in the Bible, and the Bible takes an entire verse to tell us He folded the napkin.
John 20:7 "And the napkin, that was about his head, not lying with the linen clothes, but wrapped together in a place by itself."
Why? Every Jewish boy in that time would understand this.
In the Hebrew tradition, the folded napkin is likened to the servant and the Master at the dinner table. When the servant set the table for the master, he made sure it was exactly how the master wanted it. Then, as the master would eat, the servant would wait for him to finish, and watch barely out of sight. He dare not go near the table unless he knew the master was finished.
If the master was done, he would stand up from the table, clean himself up a bit, and then throw the napkin on the table. The crumpled up napkin told the servant boy he can now come out and clear the table, in essence it meant "I'm done".
But if the master stood up, and FOLDED his napkin next to the plate, the servant boy dare not approach the table. Why? Because the folded napkin meant one thing: "I'm coming back."
Hallelujah! JESUS is coming back!
The song sang by Sean is called 'Watch the Lamb' by Ray Boltz. You can catch it on Youtube. Fantastic!!! Never fail to bring tears to my eyes...
Thanks for pointing out the song in YOUTUBE. Will check it out. In fact, I like the way the whole video was presented. It was beautiful...I hope they will play it again.
I was moved by the song too. Very emotional piece.
Hi Aaron,
Thanks for your insight! you are not Jewish, are you? ;-)
Eh... i think he got that off a website haha.. i found many articles saying something like that... and i dont know where it originally came from..
I think there are over a thousand websites saying almost the same thing.. lol..
Thanks for sharing Aaron =)
Ya I was tearing away at the song. First heard it when I was in Sec school... I also like this one called "Why" by Nicole Nordman
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iPCbzz5pJzQ
I blubber everytime I hear this latter song too. =) One of Kae's fav.
FOUND ON YOUTUBE:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3YU4q7-c4v4
I think our church was inspired by this version including the illustrations.
Wow Aaron, tks for that sharing! It was significantly awesome! (If i phrase that correctly :p)
You're right, Geri ... but i like ours better because i find our illustrations look more Jewish and i like the way the illustrations morph into live action scenes from The Passion and vice versa :-)
LOL ... my word verification is "mixes" ;-)
Post a Comment