Barabbas - a Picture of Us

Saturday, 11th April 2009

As a young Christian growing up, I recall another aspect of the passion about a criminal by the name of Barabbas being set free, and Jesus having to take his place instead.

I also recall telling myself never to give my son such an awful name, one that was being associated with a murderer. I mean, I don't think anyone in his right mind would name his child Hitler or Stalin either.

Mel Gibson also chose a really detestable and barbaric-looking person to play the role of Barabbas in his movie The Passion of the Christ, as you can see in the picture on the right.

But only recently did I realise the meaning of that name. Barabbas is actually derived from Bar-abbâ (בר-אבא) where bar = son and Abba means Daddy, ie. son of the Father.

While the Scriptures do not record the names of the two thieves that were crucified on the left and right of Jesus, the Holy Spirit saw fit to record the name of the criminal that was set free!

That is because Barabbas typifies you and me. We were the ones who had a death sentence hanging over our heads. Rom 6:23 tells us that the wages of (ie. payment for) sin is death. Yet Jesus took that death sentence upon Himself in our place, so that we, who are bar-Abbas-es --- sons and daughters of Daddy God, can go free.

Hallelujah! Amen, my dear fellow Barabbas?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing. Very good revelation.

Anonymous said...

Wow! What an awesome revelation :-)

neosonic said...

awesome revelation Bro...

Powered By Blogger