Go Ahead, Make My Day!

Sunday, 8th February 2026

The title of today's post is a quotable quote from Clint Eastwood.  It was a challenge or dare to the person he said it to.

Which I humbly submit also describes what God is saying to us in Mal 3:10...

Bring the whole tithe into the storehouse, that there may be food in my house. Test me in this,” says the Lord Almighty, “and see if I will not throw open the floodgates of heaven and pour out so much blessing that there will not be room enough to store it.

I was the Head of Finance of a Canadian MNC and was initially on extremely good terms with my boss G. G was stationed in HK and we would golf whenever he came to Singapore.  We played golf in Ipoh, Desaru, Bangkok and even in Singapore.

He highly-favoured me over my peers, the Head of Ops and the Head of CS. Both of them were relieved of their roles in January 2017, leaving me sticking out like a sore thumb as the most expensive staff in Singapore.

When that happened, instead of thanking God and trusting Him for His continued protection, I started thinking in human terms and became anxious that I would be the next to be let go.

Sometime in August 2017, a brother (let's call him J) shared with me his "revelation" about "non-tithing". He showed me this passage about how the Israelites were allowed to eat part of their tithe. 

Deut 14:22-26
Make an offering of ten percent, a tithe, of all the produce which grows in your fields year after year. Bring this into the Presence of God, your God, at the place he designates for worship and there eat the tithe from your grain, wine, and oil and the firstborn from your herds and flocks. In this way you will learn to live in deep reverence before God, your God, as long as you live. But if the place God, your God, designates for worship is too far away and you can’t carry your tithe that far, God, your God, will still bless you: exchange your tithe for money and take the money to the place God, your God, has chosen to be worshiped. Use the money to buy anything you want: cattle, sheep, wine, or beer—anything that looks good to you. You and your family can then feast in the Presence of God, your God, and have a good time.

Because of this, I stopped tithing 10% and used some of it to buy stuff for myself and my family, so long as I thanked God that He was the source.

Initially I felt a sense of "liberation" because suddenly I had "spare cash" when I cut back to tithing only 5%.

However, shortly thereafter I lost favour with my boss G and he kept finding fault with me for no reason. By October 2019, i had lost my high-paying job...

I was being penny wise, pound foolish. I may have saved maybe a few thousand dollars but eventually lost a source of income that would have exceeded hundreds of thousands of dollars 😰

I shared with Isaac Goh, my ministry cluster leader, and he told me it was not too late to resume tithing, and that God did not require me to "pay back" those months I had held back. By then, I was no longer in active employment, so I tithed on my passive income.

Wow, things started to turn around almost immediately!  God opened to me the door to various investment opportunities that currently pay 8% pa (and much more!) My passive income now exceeds my last-drawn active income! 😇

When my late dad returned to the Lord on 2 July 2025, he left behind $1m in liquid cash, of which my share was 20% or $200k. Even before I received the amount in full, I quickly tithed $20k, just in case I changed my mind about doing so. 

So it resonated with me when fellow CG member Grace Wong shared her own testimony 2 days ago about being prompted by the Holy Spirit to give, and to just obey Him. She also said we can never out-give God and He will never shortchange us. Amen to that!

I was clearing up stuff in my room just last week and came across this sample cheque that I had printed out. I was using Excel to create a template and wanted to find out what was the maximum length that could fit nicely on the cheque, both in terms of numbers and letters.

May this be a faith picture that will one day come to pass!

The cheque was generated some time in early 2020 during my stint as CFO-designate of a listed company, and that was the last full-time employment job I held. My dad suffered a stroke in May of that same year, and I quit shortly thereafter so that I could spend more time with him.

Coming back to J, I would not say he is the cause of my financial downfall, as I was equally to blame for taking my eyes off Jesus. But it was an eye-opener for me to be more discerning. We naturally drifted apart because he is no longer on the frequency of grace, sad to say. Let's keep him in prayer though because God still loves him and yearns for him to return to grace.

He has strayed so much from where he was before. He does not believe in the rapture, says praying in tongues and praying in the spirit are 2 separate things, and even attended an LGBT-practicing "church"!

Also, nowadays whenever someone shares with me about his lack of a financial breakthrough, or is unable to find a stable job, I will ask him gently, "Bro, have you been tithing?" and his answer will invariably be "no". He will typically say "Aiya, I already have so little money, how to tithe?". I will then tell him to start small first, be it just 1% or 2%.  God sees the heart and the willingness to take the first step to trust Him.

The prophet asked that widow "What do you have in your house?" We all would have received $300 in CDC vouchers, so can definitely tithe $30 mah.  What restricted the blessing for the widow was her capacity to receive; the oil stopped flowing once all the jars were filled.


So go ahead, make God's day!  Put Him to the ultimate test. Amen?


Afternote: fellow CG member Steve Koh (Grace Wong's hubby) sent me this video expounding on the Deut 14 passage which J had shared with me back in August 2017.  Pastor Skip Heitzig of Calvary Church, Albuquerque, New Mexico explains that there were actually 3 different tithes:


(1) Agricultural tithe

(2) Adoration tithe

(3) Aaronic tithe


In other words, the Israelites were expected to give up to 30% under the Mosaic Law!!!


The passage in Deut 14 referred to the Adoration tithe.  So it does not negate the Agricultural tithe being the entire 10%.  Thanks bro Steve!  Please forward that video to J too :-)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

No different from those superstitious bai bai at a temple lol. Damn stupid and superstitious

Malcolm Loh said...

Tithing is a revelation. It is not for everyone. Obviously not for you.

Powered By Blogger