Saturday, February 14, 2026

Daddy God Delights in Delighting Us

Saturday, 14th February 2026

Today being Valentine's Day, let me share a story about a certain Romeo. Kind of.

But before I do so, let's start with the title of today's post.

Our church has just launched a Day&Night Experience within the Gospel Partner application.  It is meant for us to set aside quality time to spend with Daddy God on a more regularly basis daily.

And the time we spend with Him is actually for our own benefit. It is a time of refreshing. A time of rejuvenation. A time to enjoy being with Him, and He to enjoy being with us.

In other words, God delights in delighting us.

As a dad myself, I recall that I really delighted in setting aside time for my kids, especially when they were in Ascension Kindergarten (my girl was there from 2000 to 2002; my boy from 2001 to 2003).

And whenever they saw their daddy, their faces would light up with unspeakable joy. 

One such encounter happened on the morning of Wednesday, 18 September 2002, which was the actual day of my son's 5th birthday.  A week before, I had informed his teacher that I would be bringing a birthday cake and goodie bags (the Kindergarten referred to them as "party packs") during tea-break time.

I also brought along a Sony Handycam (phones with video camera functions were not invented yet) with the intention of filming my boy cutting the cake, and also giving out the party packs to his classmates.

I, as an earthly father, was delighted to be there to delight my son.

Mind you, he was on peritoneal dialysis then (and he would continue to be so for the next 6 years of his life -- he received a transplanted kidney on 10 April 2008).

Yet he was all smiles, delighted because his dad was there to delight him.

But what was about to unfold before my very eyes was totally unexpected, unscripted and unrehearsed, and still brings a smile to my face whenever I watch it. A modern-day "Romeo" in action!

When I look back on what happened, God had placed me at the right place at the right time to capture that one unforgettable moment in time the childhood innocence of five-year olds, and in particular that of my son being in the spotlight as the lead character.

Totally, non-AI generated, if I may humbly add.

In essence, it was my Heavenly Father delighting in delighting me!

A video was compiled to include an introduction (ripped off from Under One Roof) and captions.  My daughter even added her voice at the end with a quotable quote from the Powerpuff Girls lolz.

May watching the video bring a smile to your face too :-)

P.S. In case you could not understand the "tongues" spoken by my boy in the video, here is the "interpretation"...

"Let me be the first then I can give them party pack"(1:26)
The kindergarten had this practice whereby a kid celebrating his birthday could come dressed in casual wear. Classmates would be aware and would rush to be first in line and queue up two-by-two, with the birthday kid at the front of it. The birthday kid will then distribute goodie bags containing sweets and other knick-knacks in order of proximity to him.

"Why is it only these girls ah?" (2:01)
Where is the girl whose hand I want to hold?  (She appeared at 1:40, went to the bathroom and would only re-appear again at 3:20 to claim her rightful place as his "Juliet"). I'm not interested in any of these girls that are fighting to hold onto my hand. They are not so much interested in me but in the goodie bags I will be distributing out later.

"I can say anybody I want" (3:06)
I am the birthday boy, so it is my prerogative to choose which girl's hand I want to hold. She will then have the privilege of being the first person I will give a goodie bag to.

P.P.S. The fair maiden who got to hold his hand eventually is the then-Principal Jenny Kwek's very own granddaughter, Sarah. Talk about our Romeo being selectively wise haha.

No comments: