Friday, 20th February 2026
Regular readers of my blog will note that I usually blog about spiritual matters.
But today, God has placed in my heart to blog about something more secular in nature. He destined me away from following the footsteps of my dad, who in his latter years said, "Son, it is better for you to be a good accountant than a bad doctor". (I do not believe he was not referring to a certain Goh Jr who ventured into routes made of silk because he said that to me sometime in the early 2000s, unless dad was a prophet haha).
So for today, and today only, please indulge me to put on my accountant's hat.
Many of us have this habit of "jumping on the bandwagon". We "follow the crowd" and take pride that we drive the latest Tesla, or bought the latest iPhone 17 Plus Pro, or use the latest Lab Putter.
I myself am guilty of 2 of the above.
But what God has placed in my heart recently is that there is a place for what are known as the "boutiques" of the world. Read on.
The word "boutique" originated from the Greek word for "storehouse" but has morphed into the French word for "small shop".
A fellow colleague of mine from legacy Price Waterhouse went on to work for DBS corporate finance in the late 1990s. After that, a handful of them came out to form a boutique fund management company, offering the same expertise as the big boy yet at a fraction of the cost. His boutique helped to take many local SMEs public, including BreadTalk, Old Chang Kee and Soup Restaurant, just to name but a few.
Just last month, my wife and I attended a talk conducted by a rather large bank and I noticed an intentional focus and shift towards what is commonly known as "private markets". The bank even invited its partners in the private market space to set up booths, and for some reason God only knows, I took selfies in front of Blue Owl, KKR, and even BlackRock and Pimco (yes, the latter two have jumped onto the private market bandwagon).
Frankly speaking, I had only heard of Blue Owl that evening (which goes to show I am not really well-versed). But everyone will have heard of it today because it just made the headlines for the wrong reasons, viz:


No comments:
Post a Comment