Sunday, February 22, 2026

But God

Sunday, 22nd February 2026

The title of today's post is a powerful, recurring phrase that appears in the bible 48 times. 

It emphasises God's sovereignty in our life, despite our physical circumstances.

I myself am in a very unique season of my life.

I do not hold any fancy title, BUT GOD has bestowed upon me influence :-)

I turn 59 in December.  Most people my age are still in active employment, whereas I have not worn long-sleeved business shirts, nor stepped foot into a formal corporate office setting since the days of Covid.

Yes, I formed a sole-proprietorship practice in July 2022, more so that I can tell people that I am SELF- rather than UN-employed. And also to keep my hard-earned Fellow Chartered Accountant designation.

I got myself a Tesla in October 2022, but it was really more to "show-off" to people that I could still afford to drive one, despite no longer drawing an active monthly salary since quitting as the CFO-designate of a listed company in July 2020, shortly after my late dad suffered a stroke in May 2020.  

The world will label people like me a washout, an underachiever, a what could-have-been.

Had I not rocked the boat in my previous church, I could have risen up the ranks to TRAC, GC and who knows, even become the "SoT" (Secretary of the Trustees) of the Methodist Church in Singapore :p

Had I not rocked the boat when I was a card-carrying member of the PAP, I could have risen up the ranks of the People's Association to chairing some CCC or RC, and gotten a PBM or BBM.

Yours truly, the washout, underachieving, could-have-been ("WUC") FAILURE.

I recall ever asking God before whether I had sabotaged His plans and destiny for me.

BUT GOD responded by giving me a quiet assurance, that He is well-pleased with me.  He created me as a unique individual with a unique destiny for such a time as this.

He brought to mind the following 4 individuals:

(1) A Pharisee named Saul, who trained under Gamaliel, could have become the greatest Pharisee of all Pharisees in the history of Judaism. His career was short-circuited and his fellow Pharisees probably labelled him a WUC failure. But God changed his name to Paul and he became the great apostle that wrote 2/3 of the New Testament.

(2) A Catholic priest named Martin Luther questioned the corrupt practices and doctrines of the Roman Catholic Church and was de-frocked as a consequence.  He was a WUC failure in the eyes of his fellow priests. But God used him mightily to kick-off the Reformation, which we Protestants centuries later still celebrate every 31st October.

(3) An Anglican pastor named John Wesley broke ranks with the Church of England because they had become too aristocratic. He was a WUC failure, banned from numerous pulpits by his peers. But God raised like-minded Christians who resonated with him, and the people called Methodists today is the legacy he has left behind.

(4) A kindly doctor from Ama Keng named Tan Cheng Bock, saw patients for free and garnered (and still holds) the record highest percentage of votes in a general election. He could have happily retired, but saw how much the political party he was from had changed over the decades. They had increasingly put their own interest above the interests of the citizens they are supposed to be serving. He offered himself to serve as our President, but was prevented from doing so and even labelled a WUC failure by a former Prime Minister (let's just refer to him as Woody). But God has raised equally-disillusioned citizens who encouraged him to form an alternative party in 2019, a party that promises to put the interests of its citizens first.

I would like to add a 5th to that list.

(5) A 4th-generation, great-grandson of a Peranakan Pastor of Paya Lebar Methodist Church ("PLMC") had his life in the Methodist system cut out for him because of his rich heritage. Then, his son was born with a kidney condition, but no one in his church could provide him with any consistent answers as to why. He subsequently found them in Ps Joseph Prince's teachings and wanted to share his discovery with his CG members. Alas, Peter Koh and Barnabas Chong considers Ps Prince's teachings to be heresy, and made him step down from leadership.  Many of his peers in the LCEC and in PLMC itself still regard him to be a troublemaker and pariah, ie. a WUC failure.  But God has placed very strong convictions inside of him, that only deepens his resolve and resilience when faced with adversity and persecution. Despite him not holding any official title at present, God has supernaturally increased his influence and network, and brought numerous illustrious people to cross his path :-) 

And you dear reader, should put your own name in place of mine as the number 5 on that list.  You are equally God's masterpiece and handiwork, and placed on earth to fulfil His destiny and calling.  You, dear reader, are not a WUC failure. Amen?

In my next post, I will give you very concrete examples of the different yet important dual roles that both title-holders and influence-possessors play to carry out God's plans and purposes on earth. So stay tuned!

No comments: