Wednesday, February 4, 2026

Thrash Meh? It's Thrash-Zher Hor

Wednesday, 4th February 2026

I have a confession to make.  To the chagrin of my better half, I have taken an extremely long time to declutter stuff that has accumulated in my dad's house for the past 47, now coming to 48 years.

As far as things belonging to my parents are concerned, I would say I am maybe 80% efficient in sorting out what to keep and what to throw.  I do stop for a few seconds to look at their photos, or club membership cards, or drivers' licence, or alumni membership card, just to imagine how things were like way back then.  If needed, I will take a photo of some for archiving, and then into the bin they go.



When it comes to things that belong to me, I am a little less efficient, like maybe 50%. I will go down nostalgia lane for a minute or two, at most five.  In my mind, I travel back to the 1970s through 2020s.  I will keep more of such as mementoes.  My very old IC, my ACS/ACJC report cards and yearbooks, my PAP membership card, Christmas card from my MP, NewCre commemorative ezlink card etc etc.





But I am most inefficient when it comes to things relating to my kids, and especially what they had hand-crafted for me!  I would put it at maybe 20% efficiency only.

Just today, I was clearing the drawer beneath my bed and came across art and craft they did over the years.

Here are 2 drawings done by my sweetie, on PricewaterhouseCoopers working papers no less!  I was there from 2000 to 2004, so that would mean she was between the ages 4 and 8 when she created these masterpieces.


Here below is a fathers' day card made by my champion, when he was probably in Kindergarten. Why he drew 2 treble clefs next to what I suspect to be a drawing of me, nobody knows :-)

People may put a six-figure price tag on the paintings of Picasso and Da Vinci.  Well, as far as my sweetie's and champion's art and craft pieces are concerned, they are priceless!

There is a saying that one man's meat is another man's poison.  So too is one man's trash another man's treasure.

I was just telling some friends the other day that my dad's house is filled with things that are of little commercial value.  That is why his home fire insurance policy was recently renewed at a mere $216.12, based on estimated market value of $50,000 haha :p

But the house still has numerous objects of great immeasurable sentimental value.  So I need wisdom (and time) to carefully assess what to keep and what to throw, so help me God.

What other people consider to be thrash could actually be thrash-zher (ie. TREASURE) hor.

And so, here are some more discovered TREASURE that I am definitely keeping and indulging myself with!

Sweetie creatively used A twice. Circa 2009, when we first got Chuckie

Father's Day card circa 2010 (Katy Perry released her song then)

Sweetie's 2011 card, she drew a Smurf with his arms open wide...

.. to tell me to likewise accept any future boyfriend she would have haha

1 comment: