The Hired Hand Mentality

Sunday, 15th June 2008

In his address at the TRAC Ordination Service last year, the Rev Dr Wee Boon Hup made reference to the Good Shepherd and the hired hand as recorded in Jn 10:11-13.

11"I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd lays down his life for the sheep. 12The hired hand is not the shepherd who owns the sheep. So when he sees the wolf coming, he abandons the sheep and runs away. Then the wolf attacks the flock and scatters it. 13The man runs away because he is a hired hand and cares nothing for the sheep.

In other words, a good shepherd is willing to sacrifice his own self-interests, reputation and even his own life for his flock. He is willing to leave the 99 behind to go in search of the 1 that has gone astray. The hired hand, on the other hand, takes no ownership. When a wolf comes along, he runs for his own life and saves his own skin.

Well, if there is someone worse than a hired hand, it is a shepherd with a "hired hand" mentality.

A good shepherd is one who when seeing that one of his sheep is hurting, will gently nurse those wounds.

A bad shepherd is one who rubs salt into those wounds, and in extreme cases, even feeds them to the wolves!

A good shepherd is secure in his own leadership. He is not suspicious of other shepherds and think they want to steal his sheep. Rather, he sees the bigger picture that he and his fellow shepherds are taking care of the flock on behalf of the Ultimate Owner. A good example of this is Rev Brian Houston of Hillsong Church. He invites Ps Prince to speak at his church's events regularly because he knows that when his flock is fed well, the larger body of Christ is edified and the glory does not go to him or to Ps Prince, but to the Lord Jesus Christ.

A bad shepherd is one who is narrow-minded and sees life as a zero-sum game. As a result, he demands that his sheep only eat the food he gives them. For those who are inclined to feed elsewhere, he breaks their legs so as to prevent them from doing so. The sheep end up malnourished, and some resort to eating supplements on the sly.

Let's pray to the Lord of the Harvest to raise up more good shepherds. Amen?

47 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you Malcolm for helping the internet community realized that there is one church in your country that one must never go to ... it is 'law-based', has bad shepherds and ever-ready to devour those who embrace 'grace-message'... and there is only one other church that believers must go because people are swarming to this church ... only one message should be preached - the 'grace-message' ... only one preacher worth listening to.

Stanley Wong said...

Hi Mal,

Angie posted on her blog on 12 June an interesting article by Nancy Campell on the difference between "western" and "eastern" shepherds.

The western shepherd on his horse, together with trained dogs, drives his sheep from behind to reach the destination while the eastern shepherd leads from the front and the sheep follows.

Jesus himself defined what a good shepherd is in John 10:1-5 (New Living Translation):

“I tell you the truth, anyone who sneaks over the wall of a sheepfold, rather than going through the gate, must surely be a thief and a robber! But the one who enters through the gate is the shepherd of the sheep. The gatekeeper opens the gate for him, and the sheep recognize his voice and come to him. He calls his own sheep by name and leads them out. After he has gathered his own flock, he walks ahead of them, and they follow him because they know his voice. They won’t follow a stranger; they will run from him because they don’t know his voice.”

Anonymous said...

Anonymous, you are so RIGHT! Exactly, all netizens should come to NCC and visit www.newcreation.org.sg and be transformed by the Grace of my Lord Jesus Christ, Amen. However you have a choice. If you find Grace too difficult to take, you can always go back to be a LAW abiding Christian, just make sure you keep ALL the LAWS, and confess your sins every time (that could possibly mean every seconds, or minutes) you doubt, every time you worried, every time you lust, every time you covet, every time you murder, every time you dishonour your parents, every time you hate your neighbours / colleagues ..... so most likely, you will be confessing all the times instead of praying in tongues! God help you!

Anonymous said...

Hi,
Reading yr latest blog and one of the comments to your message is disturbing. It sounds like a personal attack on someone, and it seems to divide the body of Christ.

Btw, are u attending the so-called law-abiding church? If so, why so?

Malcolm Loh said...

Hi anon

My blog has been labelled as having "severely disturbing" content, so should I take your feeling merely "disturbed" by it to be a compliment? :-)

Seriously though, please read Gal 2 in which Paul took Peter to task for re-embracing the law. By the same token, wouldn't one consider what Paul did to be "dividing the body of Christ" as well?

I am attending this "law-abiding" church because it is the church of my forefathers, and I have this faith picture that God will surely liberate it, just like He did the church in Galatia.

Anonymous said...

Hi,

For our reflection:

Eph 4:29
1 Cor 13:1-8

Good to know that u still love the church of yr forefathers. So live out that love in our lives lest we become only a resounding gong.

Taking delight while others are disturbed by yr writing is unbelievable. Pls read Eph 4:29 carefully and thoughtfully. What do u think Jesus is thinking of and feeling when he reads what u wrote? If he is also disturbed, do u take it as a compliment too?

As a follower of Christ, the most important thing is to show geniune love in what we say and do, even in the way we handle differences and conflict. So maybe u should consider using encouraging words than "Severely disturbing" words?

Hope that makes sense to u.

Anonymous said...

Dear Brother Malcolm,

Your desire to see the church of your forefathers "liberated" sounds noble. However, have you considered that your approach may actually be the cause of the 'slowness' in your church embracing your understanding of "grace-message". Beware! Your open smearing of this 'church of your forefathers' could be exploited by the evil one to sow resentment and bitterness in your church.

Your willingness to take the first step in seeking the forgiveness of your pastors & leaders would help pave the way for greater partnership in fulfilling God's calling for your church.

Anonymous said...

"I had not forgotten my promise to consider whether we should make the patient an extreme patriot or an extreme pacifist. All extremes, except extreme devotion to the Enemy, are to be encouraged. Not always, of course, but at this period. Some ages are lukewarm and complacent, and then it is our business to soothe them yet faster asleep. Other ages, of which the present is one, are unbalanced and prone to faction, and it is our business to inflame them."

Anonymous said...

But I urge and entreat you, brethren, by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that all of you be in perfect harmony and full agreement in what you say, and that there be no dissensions or factions or divisions among you, but that you be perfectly united in your common understanding and in your opinions and judgments. For it has been made clear to me, my brethren, by those of Chloe's household, that there are contentions and wrangling and factions among you. What I mean is this, that each one of you [either] says, I belong to Paul, or I belong to Apollos, or I belong to Cephas (Peter), or I belong to Christ. Is Christ (the Messiah) divided into parts? Was Paul crucified on behalf of you? Or were you baptized into the name of Paul?

Malcolm Loh said...

Thanks for all your comments, but the conviction gets stronger and stronger by the day.

It is interesting that those who have quoted the Scriptures have referred to the epistles of Paul. Isn't it ironical that Paul encouraged unity in the body in the other epistles, yet admonished Peter in Gal 2?

Unless... unity is not to be at the expense of embracing a wrong type of gospel -- that of mixing law and grace!

The one who quoted C.S. Lewis is akin to me quoting Ps Prince. Let's get back to the Bible to argue our case. Sola Scriptura.

Anyway, differences in opinion is not something new. Even Paul and Barnabas had differences, hence they went on separate missionary journeys.

Let's learn to agree to disagree here, which is something that someone could not do, hence the current plight of my church...

Hillsong has caught it. RHEMA has caught it. My sincere prayer is that PLMC will catch it, and so will all of you too :-)

Malcolm Loh said...

Dear anonymous who posted at 11:03am

Would appreciate if you could at least use a pseudonym for the benefit of those who are keenly following this thread :-)

Thanks for your "warning", but I know of many others in my church(including cell leaders) that have already caught the grace message. They are keeping a low profile because they do not want any negative action to be taken against them.

I have been attending this church all my life. Wouldn't you agree that the last thing that a person with strong sentimental roots that go back 40 years would do is to "smear" it?

In fact, I have every intention to continue attending this church. Hence I have not followed the other 19,000 or so who worship at the Rock. Instead, I am rallying everyone concerned to pray that God will liberate it, so that my children and my children's chidren will continue to worship here. Amen?

I draw you an analogy here. When Jesus told the Pharisees that they were hypocrites, was He taking issue with just them, or with all Israel just because the Pharisees happened to be Jews?

To put it another way, if a person from Myanmar laments about how slow aid has been getting to his fellow countrymen who were victims of the recent cyclone, does that make him out to be a disloyal citizen or a traitor?

One has to make a distinction between the church and an individual making unilateral decisions on behalf of the church.

Stanley Wong said...

Hi Mal,

When Jesus began His ministry preaching the Gospel, He shook up the religious order of His times.

Jesus said (in Luke 12:51-53 [NLT]):

"Do you think I came to bring peace to earth? No! I can guarantee that I came to bring nothing but division.
From now on a family of five will be divided. Three will be divided against two and two against three.
A father will be against his son and a son against his father. A mother will be against her daughter and a daughter against her mother. A mother-in-law will be against her daughter-in-law and a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law."

Similarly, the grace message being the Gospel is also shaking up the church now. There are people who embrace it totally (such as you and I), others who are sceptical and yet others who totally do not believe and even oppose it.

Jesus continued in Luke 12:54-57 [NLT]:

Jesus said to the crowds, "When you see a cloud coming up in the west, you immediately say, 'There's going to be a rainstorm,' and it happens.
When you see a south wind blowing, you say, 'It's going to be hot,' and that's what happens.
You hypocrites! You can forecast the weather by judging the appearance of earth and sky. But for some reason you don't know how to judge the time in which you're living.
So why don't you judge for yourselves what is right? "

As you mentioned in your previous posts, Mal, there are more and more churches (some are mega churches) around the world who are catching this gospel revolution. Is this a sign of the times we are living in?

The beautiful thing about this Gospel is that nobody is forced to accept it. You yourself choose whether to believe and be blessed by it.

I have chosen and am blessed, and hope for others to be blessed by it too.

Anonymous said...

Do not fall for the trap. The poison came from the very first comment, and who has not qualified himself/herself to be one of us! Non-Christians read this blog, and anyone could act as anyone to sow a discord, and here we are arguing among ourselves, while the devil laughs, and non believers get confused cos there's quarrel in the house, started not by one of us but someone from outside. No one gives poison openly, but usually under pretense, where poisons are mixed with seemingly good or sarcastic advice / comments. If this is a brother / sister who loves the body of Christ, he /she would have same wisdom we have, from the Holy Spirit to comment with genuine love & concern and not sarcarsm!

Malcolm Loh said...

Hi Stan

Thanks for your words of wisdom and for being courageous enough to stand up for what you say.

There are others hiding behind the cloak of anonymity. For all we know, it may even be the same individual with multiple personalities giving the impression of numerosity :-)

Anonymous said...

Just a tot for you Mal.

When you say surrounding areas of the church, I assumed that public property has been vandalized. Is this correct? If this is the case I am sure the police would investigate regardless of anyone making a police report.

By publicizing this incident and yet at the same time you claimed that because its a police case therefore cannot discuss details, you serve to tempt your readers into using their imagination on this. You wet your readers appetite and then leave them high and dry.

This reads very much like a veiled personal attack, well, at least on the person's competency to act correctly. And you made claims that you have not substantiated. Example, you say key leaders of the church were not informed about the reporting to the police. Can all of these so call key leaders come forward here to support your claim? Are you a key leader?

You seem to insinuated that a collective decision has to be made before the aggrieved person is allowed to report the vandalism to the police. And since you claim(again) it is not done therefore your TRAC Pres is now involved. Involved to do what may I ask? Look for the culprit, preach at your church in such a way that the person is so convicted that he/she owns up to the act? Or are you suggesting some kind of censure or similar is coming to the person who carried what you claim(again) an unilateral action?

Like I said in the beginning, if public property has been vandalized, the police will get involved regardless of any public complain.

And if they catch the perpetrator, our justice system may give the person the 'Michael Fay punishment' if found guilty. This is serious stuff.

The tone of your post suggests you are targeting the person at the receiving end of the vandalism and not the the vandal(s). Why?

Mal, I read your postings now and then. And I must say I prefer your postings on scriptures and theology. The message of Grace you prescribe is not showing through on this post. Even your supporters seems to have missed the mark. Everything reads very much like it is about 'Me' and the injustice 'Me' suffered. Would it not be Christ-like to pray for the person who is the target of the vandals?

Innuendos, insinuations, unsubstantiated claims adds no value. We are not like the world.

Jon
"When was the last time you asked someone if they have fled the wrath of God?"

p.s. no need to post this if you don't want to.

Malcolm Loh said...

Hi Jon

Appreciate your comments. If you read the Scriptures, especially the epistles, you will realise that it contains both words of encouragement as well as words of admonishment.

For example, Paul called the Galatians "foolish". John the Baptist called the Pharisees a "brood of vipers". What you find on this blog pales in comparison.

Similarly, when I share my reflections, as the Spirit leads, some posts will be more palatable than others.

I am not at liberty to reveal certain details on this blog since it can be read by all and sundry (Paul would be considered less discreet when he told the Galatians that he admonished Peter to his face).

If you want more details, please drop me an email at mloh77@starhub.net.sg so that we can take this discussion offline.

Anonymous said...

"Keep his mind on the inner life. He thinks his conversion is something inside him and his attention is therefore chiefly turned at present to the states of his own mind—or rather to that very expurgated version of them which is all you should allow him to see. Encourage this. Keep his mind off the most elementary duties by directing it to the most advanced and spiritual ones. Aggravate that most useful human characteristic, the horror and neglect of the obvious. You must bring him to a condition in which he can practise self-examination for an hour without discovering any of those facts about himself ,which are perfectly clear to anyone who has over lived in the same house with him or worked the same office."

Anonymous said...

The following comment was extracted from your post dated 24-Oct-2007.
==================================

Hi Malcolm

I have to agree with Peggy...

Your blogs speak of grace and the love of God.

But your constant provoking of your ex-pastor is just not gracious at all. It does not align with the message of grace you are trying to convey.

Where is the forgiveness from your part? It seems that you are still upset over him wanting to sell your gifts, not to mention your removal from your appointments as cell leader and treasurer.

Where is the reconciliation from your part? So far what I have read so far is that you want HIM to come over to your position. Where is your part in accepting him for who he is and what he believes in? He is after all a well educated pastor and he is personally accountable to God for his ministry.

So please be gracious to your ex-pastor.

And please stop constantly using NCC to provoke him. I know you have been very blessed by Pastor Prince's sermons but NCC should not be involved with your quarrel at all.

Hmm... I wonder how your PLMC churchmates feel about you constantly promoting NCC?

My prayer for you is that you grow up and really mature in grace. It is one thing blogging about it but another to live it.

No condemnation bro, as much as your blogs have been an encouragement to me, I really don't see how your comments to your ex-pastor can be considered gracious in anyway.

From Sharon

Anonymous said...

Hi,

I'm Mrs Fong who posted comments on June 17, 2:46, and June 18, 10.40.

As a Christian reading your blog, I agree with the Anon who posted on June 19, 1:56 and June 19 6:48 that we as brothers and sisters in Christ should not be quarreling among ourselves, especially when non Christians are reading it. Anyway, i think u should use your blog to spread the message of God's salvation and love instead of causing confusion among your readers.

Anyway, if a Christian who does not accept the so-called Grace message that u are promoting, does that make him any less a Child of God?

Do everything in LOVE. Speak words that edify people who hear it. That's what our Lord wants!

Malcolm Loh said...

Dear anon who posted at 1.58am

Contrary to what you have mentioned, sarcasm was used by even men of God to effectively put across points.

Consider the following passages:

1 Sam 15:14
But Samuel said, "What then is this bleating of sheep in my ears? What is this lowing of cattle that I hear?"

1 Kgs 18:27
At noon Elijah began to taunt them. "Shout louder!" he said. "Surely he is a god! Perhaps he is deep in thought, or busy, or traveling. Maybe he is sleeping and must be awakened."

Malcolm Loh said...

Hi Mrs Fong

Thanks for identifying yourself.

Hmm, if you consider this debate to be "quarelling", I wonder how you would interpret what is recorded in Acts 15 and Gal 2.

As I have mentioned several times before, unity should not be at the expense of preaching another gospel.

And speaking of love, it is for this very reason that this beggar loves his fellow beggars that he wants to share with them where to get gourmet food, and not to just selfishly keep it all to himself :-)

Drop me an email, and I can arrange to lend you some of Ps Prince's sermons. You will then begin to understand why I am so passionate about the grace gospel.

Anonymous said...

Dear Bro Mal,

I posted the comment about trap & sarcasm, and I believe you have missed my point, but then again, such exchanges can also be easily misinterpreted.

I am a believer of the Grace message. I defended the Grace message in many of my comments against many/some/one anonymous believer / non believer / non-believing believer whom I have from time to time asked them / him / her to give us a name for reference, so that constructive exchanges could be addressed to the correct indivduals. I have since remained anonymous out of convenience, where I used to sign off as William.

Mal, your last comment was to me, kinda out of point. It seems to be an effort to defend for the sake of defending. You perhaps could see if the first comment that started all these exchanges was to drive a constructive point across using sarcasm (as you have mentioned) or was it meant to split the church body?

Shalom Shalom,
William

Anonymous said...

Hi Mal, you mentioned Rev Dr Wee in your post "The Hired Hand Mentality". May I know which statements were part of his address, and which were your personal thoughts?

Stanley Wong said...

Hi Mal,

I am responding to paideuo who posted the extract of sharon's comment on your blog dated 24 Oct 2007.

I am guessing that paideuo got his/her inspiration of using this pseudonym from the title of your blog dated 26 Oct 2007 - "Paideuo" which means child-training or chastening in Greek.

I think it's only fair that I should mention to other readers here that on the same 26/10/07 blog which I am guessing that paideuo must have also read, you thanked Sharon for her well-intentioned comment.

I would also like to post an extract of your response here:
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
I was like Jonah, running away from what God was telling me through Peggy and Sharon, and God was now speaking through this email from Lakshika to child-train me.

As I read her email, tears just flowed freely down my face. I realise that I had not surrendered my hurts regarding my relationship with my ex-pastor to the LORD, and what was manifesting was the works of the flesh.

I seek the forgiveness of you readers out there. Here I am promoting the grace message, yet there I was not living it out in my dealings with my ex-pastor (and even justfying what I was doing). I hope I have not stumbled too many of you as a result, and make you lose hope in the gospel of grace.

I thank God for Peggy, Sharon and Lakshika for responding to the Holy Spirit's prompting in admonishing me and pointing out to me my blind spots. Please continue to keep my relationship with my ex-pastor in prayer, and also continue to point out to me areas in my life that do not line up with the grace teachings.

Thank you Lord, for paideuo-ing me with Your Word!
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

While some people may want to treat whatever is discussed in this blog as a quarrel, and hence post in an aggressive manner (usually anonymously), I prefer to treat this for what it is, a discussion.

We can agree to disagree, but if anyone has been inspired by all this discussion to find out and discover for themselves what the Gospel truly means to them, then it has been all worthwhile.

And Mal, continue to post what the Spirit leads you to. I am sure that there are many out there who have been blessed by your sharing. I know I have.

Shalom

Anonymous said...

Dear Malcolm,

I refer to your comment on Wednesday, June 18, 2008 7:50:00 PM.

"Let's learn to agree to disagree here, which is something that someone could not do, hence the current plight of my church..."

Having read your posts & responses to even godly counsel, I should think the SOMEONE refers to YOU.

Anonymous said...

hi malcolm,

there are many people that were "driven" out of your church by your shepherds.

one of them is your ex-missionary who resigned. it was not the work that led them to resigned but the treatment by the shepherds.
members were not told the truth.

maybe u can find out the truth and can be their vocies.

Malcolm Loh said...

Hi William

Paul was willing to "forgo" unity when the gospel was being adulterated in the Galatian churches, so we should not see this as dividing the body.

Seems like this point was lost in the exchanges.

Let's take a step back here. Sarcasm has achieved its purpose, otherwise, it would not have invoked so many responses to this blog entry, don't you think?

Malcolm Loh said...

hi anon who posted at 5.48pm

I am not at liberty to reveal the name of that someone, but it is not me lah. Maybe it's you? ;-)

Or like Steven Bishop would sing, "something's telling me it might be you..."

Seriously though, the last time I mentioned a person by name on this blog, I was accused of being ungracious to that person. So please understand why I will not do so this time around.

Everyone would want to believe what he is giving is godly counsel, even me. We should instead let God be the judge of that, no?

It is your prerogative to embrace the grace gospel or otherwise. God will not force it upon you. As for me and my household, we have been convinced beyond the shadow of any doubt.

And by the words of the priests, every controversy is settled.

Malcolm Loh said...

Hi who said what

The first three paras were part of his address.

The rest are the reflections of one that says so.

Anonymous said...

Hi Malcolm,

Having found your blog in May 28 was the best thing I have ever done last month!

Funny thing about this is that I have been coming back every single day to devour what you have written in the past.

I can't help but feel that JP must be so happy that you have been giving him so much free publicity!!
Wonder whether he reads your blog??

Your latest blog post must have generated a lot of heat, judging from the numerous comments you have received. Keep cool,Mal!
May God's wisdom be upon you in your current situation.

Will be praying for you and your family.

Shalom!

Malcolm Loh said...

Hi Joo

I don't think Ps Prince reads my blog, but I know that those who work in New Creation do.

That was how I ended having lunch with one of their pastors, and he helped me to get Ps Prince to autograph my copy of Destined to Reign.

You can read about that here.

Malcolm Loh said...

Hi anon

Thanks for your comments.

I am not close to the 2 ex-missionaries, but if God wills, He will cause our paths will cross and I will find out the truth.

That was what happened with the ex-youth leaders as well as to an ex-church member who embraced the grace gospel.

You can read about what happened here and here

Anonymous said...

"An important spiritual law is here involved. I have explained that you can weaken his prayers by diverting his attention from the Enemy Himself to his own states of mind about the Enemy. On the other hand fear becomes easier to master when the patient's mind is diverted from the thing feared to the fear itself, considered as a present and undesirable state of his own mind; and when he regards the fear as his appointed cross he will inevitably think of it as a state of mind. One can therefore formulate the general rule; in all activities of mind which favour our cause, encourage the patient to be un-selfconscious and to concentrate on the object, but in all activities favourable to the Enemy bend his mind back on itself. Let an insult or a woman's body so fix his attention outward that he does not reflect "I am now entering into the state called Anger—or the state called Lust". Contrariwise let the reflection "My feelings are now growing more devout, or more charitable" so fix his attention inward that he no longer looks beyond himself to see our Enemy or his own neighbours."

Anonymous said...

"Whichever he adopts, your main task will be the same. Let him begin by treating the Patriotism or the Pacifism as a part of his religion. Then let him, under the influence of partisan spirit, come to regard it as the most important part. Then quietly and gradually nurse him on to the stage at which the religion becomes merely part of the "cause", in which Christianity is valued chiefly because of the excellent arguments it can produce in favour of the British war-effort or of Pacifism. The attitude which you want to guard against is that in which temporal affairs are treated primarily as material for obedience. Once you have made the World an end, and faith a means, you have almost won your man, and it makes very little difference what kind of worldly end he is pursuing. Provided that meetings, pamphlets, policies, movements, causes, and crusades, matter more to him than prayers and sacraments and charity, he is ours—and the more "religious" (on those terms) the more securely ours."

Anonymous said...

"This is excellent. And you seem to have made good use of all his social, sexual, and intellectual vanity. Tell me more. Did he commit himself deeply? I don't mean in words. There is a subtle play of looks and tones and laughs by which a Mortal can imply that he is of the same party is those to whom he is speaking. That is the kind of betrayal you should specially encourage, because the man does not fully realise it himself; and by the time he does you will have made withdrawal difficult."

Anonymous said...

The text below is an extract from your post dated 26-Oct-2007.
The admonition of this dear sister from NCC has helped you in the past; I sincerely hope it does the same.
==============================

-----Original Message-----
From: Lakshika
Sent: Sunday, 21 October, 2007 11:57 PM
To: mloh77@starhub.net.sg
Subject: Some thoughts from a fellow believer...

Hello Malcolm,

My name is Lakshika and I have been following your blog for a couple of months. I attend NCC.

Your blog is pretty interesting - enough to keep me coming back almost daily. You write well! :) (How do I subscribe to your blog, by the way?)

For some time now, I've been thinking about dropping you a note. I even asked a friend of mine from NCC to read your blog and drop you a line because he went through a journey similar to yours. I thought that as a brother-in-Christ who has "been there", he could offer you some good counsel. I am not sure if he has done so.

Back to my reason for writing. When I first read your blog, I felt you were courageous to stand up for what you believe. And I still think so. However, as I was telling this friend of mine your story -I'll call him LK - as documented on your blog, he made a few remarks that gave me some different perspectives. I thought he made some good points.

He told me his opinion that if one could not submit to the leadership of his or her Church, they cannot be a blessing to her by staying there. Btw, my friend LK was also asked to step down from a position of leadership in his former Church. He eventually moved to NCC and is presently in a leadership role here too. In his case, I think his ex-Pastor could not accept charismatic teachings - or something along those lines.

Please know that I am not suggesting that you move to NCC, but rather, that you think carefully about your stand in publicly opposing your Pastor in trying to "change things from the inside".

While God is our final Authority, he has also placed men over us as under-shepherds -- something that I think you have recognized in earlier posts. It is their duty to care for the flock that God has given them and are accountable to God. I agree with one of the people who commented on your latest entry saying, 'let God deal with his Pastors'. I've heard Pastor Prince say the same thing. If your Pastor truly believes that his doctrine is correct, then he is right, as a leader to ask you to step down. To quote LK, 'That is leadership'.

I have no doubt that my own Senior Pastor would ask any cell-group leader who is sharing anything other than the gospel of grace to step down, to protect the rest of the flock. While personally, my life has been completely transformed for the better by the grace message, I have to accept that there are still many who may not accept it. I have to leave it to the Lord to work in their lives.

There may never be complete unity of doctrine in the Church, but the Lord alone sees the heart of His children. He knows how we are formed, what motivates and drives us, and also what can speak to us. The Bible says that the king's heart is in God's hands; he turns it which ever way he pleases.

You probably don't realize it, but to an objective reader some of your entries do convey an impression that you are still hurt over being asked to step down from leadership (and also at the actions of your ex-Pastor). Some of your entries - like the one where you displayed the cheque you wrote to NCC were frankly rather 'uncomfortable' to read, as it came out of the obvious hurt you felt at the time – and not just from your desire to bless out of overflow.

Feeling hurt is of course entirely natural. We are after all human and continuous 'works-in-progress', as you wrote. But as we grow in grace we become more self-aware - more open to criticism and also able to 'let go' easier. We know we are accepted in the Beloved and so our security comes from that. It's when we realise our emotions are running high that our own 'red flags' should go up. My own personal experience is that 'works' often follow high emotion - as I try to justify my position or my actions/words. It helps me to retreat into fellowship with the Abba for counsel at such times. Renewing my mind in righteousness by faith alone is a daily journey - now that I have the blessed knowledge that I am under grace. As I behold Jesus, I am transformed supernaturally.

Knowing God as 'Daddy' has also helped me to pour my heart and my hurt out to him, as David did, in times of trials. His peace always follows and empowers me to let go' of the hurt. (Very often to my pride). Ultimately, everything we do is all for the Lord's glory, so His grace alone will sustain us. Personally, asking myself 'why' I am doing what I am doing often helps me re-examine my own motives. Many times, I need to repent when I realize that 'self righteousness' has crept in.

We all have blind spots and not everyone will have the courage to tell us their honest opinion. This morning at the first service, our Senior Pastor was talking about how 'iron sharpens iron'. He said something along the lines that if we are only hearing 'good stuff' about ourselves, we need to find more friends! I may not know you, but through your writing you come across as a sincere person who loves the Lord. I don't mean to 'preach' to you and do hope you will understand the spirit in which I am writing this personal and confidential email.

While I am blessed by the majority of your entries, the few in which you shared about all the good stuff you did for your ex-Pastor, getting gifts for fellow leaders, waking up early to pray at 5am, were among the ones that were 'uncomfortable'. I think you will be able to guess why. I know that you know God sees how you have blessed others. Nothing is hidden from Him. He will bless and reward your good works, even if men do not acknowledge or appreciate any of your efforts. And surely our Father in Heaven shall provide another avenue for you to serve Him as you so desire.

I don't think I have written such a long, direct and 'opinionated' email as this to a complete stranger before! But like I said, you come across as a very sincere brother in Christ, going from glory to glory. I hope you will understand that I have no hidden agenda or motives in writing this. Please forgive me if I have unintentionally caused you any hurt.

Btw, it's great to read about how you are bringing your kids up under grace. They shall surely grow up to be champions in the Lord.

Have a blessed, favour-filled week ahead.

Abba's abundant blessings,
Lakshika
=======================

Anonymous said...

Hi Mal,

Last year you blogged about your estranged pastor, whom you seemed delighted that he was eventually transfered to another church.

This year you seem to be blogging about another of your pastor. Are you looking forward to him being transfered too?

If your other fellow church members are willing to submit to their leadership, why can't you? Instead of causing so much strife in this 'church of your forefathers', why not go to a church where you are willing to submit to the leadership?

SEEK PEACE INSTEAD OF STRIFE.

Malcolm Loh said...

Thanks for all your comments.

Seems like there is a big fan of C.S.Lewis here.

I happen to be one too: I went to see Prince Caspian with my daughter.

Malcolm Loh said...

Hi paideuo

Thanks for your comments.

Those who admonish should be prepared to receive admonishment.

Those who are not prepared to be admonished should not admonish.

So I thank you for your admonishment :-)

Anonymous said...

Hi Malcolm,

I am so delighted to read about Stanley Wong's testimony on yout blog posted to you on 9 September 2007! I have been greatly encouraged by his testimony and his comments on your blog!

By the way, I have been to his stall about 2 months ago! Will probably go there again soon to say hello to him!

Surely it is the work of the Holy Spirit who brings me to your blog.
I have so much to learn from you and your ardent supporters!

Have a blessed weekend!

Shalom

Anonymous said...

Hi Malcolm!

I saw your video on YouTube and am happy to hear of all the wonderful things our LORD Jesus has done in your life! I am also hoping that you will email me because I am interested in talking more with you about Pastor Prince and your collection of his preaching/teaching. Please email me at: KEITH@BANDKPC.COM

Thanks!

Malcolm Loh said...

Dear anon who posted at 2:39pm yesterday

It is not correct to say that I was delighted that my ex-pastor was transferred out.

Grace takes no pleasure in such things happening. Rather, grace causes one to love and be kind to others, even when they treat you badly.

In fact, I still consider him a good friend, and was the one who fetched his kids to their classes when he was hospitalised, and fetched him home from hospital.

We still see each other each month at the Fathers' Prayer Group. The hostility is very much one-sided.

His birthday was last month, and I had wanted to buy him a present. It was my wife who discouraged me from doing so, telling me not to "cast pearls before swine" :-)

Anyway, I am sure you have heard the story about the emperor's new clothes. Who was doing him a favour, his "loyal" subjects who praised him, or the young boy in the street who remarked that he was naked?

Was that young boy seeking strife when he pointed out the obvious?

It is because I love the church of my forefathers that I do not want to see her being left behind, now that Hillsong and RHEMA have caught it.

Anonymous said...

Hi Malcolm,

wow it took me a long time to read all the comments and replies on this page. Phew.

Only God knows what is in our heart and can judge us fairly and rightly. So do not be too beaten down by some of the harsher critics who hide under anon nicknames instead of being accountable for what they say. You are accountable only to Christ, just we all are.

Some of the "admonishments" have the occasional pinch of truth in them... leading them to sound reasonable. But then again I remind us all that when Job's friends were trying to correct him, they also spoke the truth about God. How and why and with what attitude they are being said is another thing altogether. They did not truly know the heart of the matter, were not in Job's shoes nor did they know the thoughts of God about the issues they confidently preached to Job about. In fact, they thought they were more "righteous" than Job, so were in a position to give him a piece of their mind. To that, God asked them this " Who is this that darkens my counsel with words without knowledge?" How much knowledge do we know about Malcolm to have the right to criticise him, to approve or disapprove, to judge? Do we know entirely and completely where His heart lies like God knows?

Are we being self-righteous by admonishing? Are we trying to prove something when we comment on someone's PERSONAL BLOG? Are we perfect in our own thoughts and words and deeds ourselves? Do we not have areas of weaknesses in our lives we should first tend to? Are we so proud as to think that we have the wisdom that the Holy Spirit does not? The Holy Spirit that will teach Malcolm all things and prompt him that he is right or wrong? Have we been listening to the Holy Spirit in our daily lives and dealings with people to be able to comment the way we do??

A personal blog is a place where someone willingly shares with others his slice of life. We, as readers can choose to read or not.

If it so upsets us to read this blog, don't read it.

If you really think Malcolm is in the wrong in his actions or words, instead of putting on barb comments that do not edify him, pray for him. We are told to pray for those we feel animosity for and we are told to pray for it in secret, not openly as the hypocrites do.

Make sure you pray for yourself too. We are reminded to take the beam out of our eyes before we comment on the splinter in another's. =p

Malcolm is just Malcolm - a fellow Christian brother who is learning day to day to walk closer to Christ. Just like you and I. We are all learning and Malcolm happens to be more active and more vocal than some of us are in his personal reflections - I think it is gracious enough that he rolls with the punches.

When David danced in the street to praise God - he might not have been the best dancer... in fact one might picture a super enthusiastic person dancing with 2 left feet... and Michal turned away in disgust. She never had kids.

Malcolm actively glorifies God and praises God on his blog. You can say what you want to, but there have been people who are touched by his open worship of God in the way he leads his life. There are people who have been edified.

We are in no place to be the "Michal"s who put him down in his life of active praise and worship, just because it makes us uncomfortable.

Who are we to say for sure that it makes God uncomfortable too? =)

Every way of man seems right in his own eyes - Prov 21:2.

Malcolm, I quote Kenneth Copeland - "If it is doubt, defeat or discouragement, it is from SATAN always."

Jesus told Peter to get behind me Satan. Peter - a disciple, the one He named little pebble, the one He asked to feed his lambs later on. Peter meant well, but it was not the Father's will. No matter how well-meaning some people are, even Christians, if what they say is not the Father's will, it is from the enemy.

Those who wait and trust in the LORD will inherit the land. =) I trust the grace message will touch those you care so deeply for. It is not just your church that desperately needs it, we ALL do.


God bless you. (See Jeremiah 20:11)

Anonymous said...

A final little quote that I just came across in my email - "When looking at faults, use a mirror, not a telescope."

I found it very apt. =D

Malcolm Loh said...

Hi Geri

Wow, your comments are longer than my blog entry. No wonder you are a writer :-)

Seriously though, thanks for your kind comments.

It's interesting that you mentioned about David dancing naked unto the Lord when the Ark was back in Jerusalem. "Religious" folks like his wife Michal considered his behaviour to be unbecoming of a king. Yet, there was no mention of God rejecting his worship. Instead, it was Michal who ended up barren.

He who has ears, let him hear...

I have an inkling who this Uncle Screwtape is, because he recommended the book "Screwtape Letters" to some of us last year, and I even blogged about that. Seems like he is still lurking around here but dares not use his real name for obvious reasons.

Anonymous said...

All said and done, Malcolm, there will always be the old wine (with the old wine skin) and the new wine (in the new wine skin). Can't mix the two. Causes disharmony.

That's why Jesus said, I'd rather you be hot or cold, but you were lukewarm, that's why I spit you out from my mouth. My interpretation is:

Either be law-abiding or grace-receiving. Can't mix the two.

Both my wife and I have been encouraged by your blog. Keep it up.

On a personal note, we used to attend a Methodist Church for many years. We even got married there. I was a youth leader and also a cell group leader. My cell group split when half of us wanted to uproot and be totally attending NCC. The other half continued in the Methodist church.

For those who left for NCC and hear the gospel (which is the good news) of grace and Jesus' love, our lives were radically transformed. Waves of blessings hit us left, right and centre. Our lives used to be hard, where we 'glorify' our sufferings for Christ. Now we glorify His sufferings for us. For there was a divine exchange. His poverty for our riches, his sickness for our health, his rejection for our acceptance before Abba Father.

We can never be the same. Our faith is secured in the finished work of Christ - the author and finisher of our faith.

Keep in the grace, brother. Be encouraged.

Cheers,
Kaffeina

Malcolm Loh said...

Hi Kaffeina

Thanks for sharing your journey. Amen to what Jesus has done for us!

Powered By Blogger