There was an article in TODAY that caught my eye. It featured a lady by the name of Krystal Meyers, who is the daughter of Rick Meyers.

If her dad's name sounds familiar, he is the one who invented e-Sword and Pocket e-Sword, the free Bible-reading application for the computer and PDA respectively.
Anyway, here is the article reproduced in full...
Shine a light
Holy iTunes, rock * rollis now the domain of a newwave of Christian artistes
ROCK music has long been used as the voice for discontented youth. But while rock’s biggest hits, from My Generation to Smells Like Teen Spirit, aren’t exactly the sort of thing you would hear at annual family-day gatherings, more bands these days are imbuing positive messages underneath the distortion guitars and thudding drums. In fact, these messages are so positive, you could say they were positively divine.
Once seen as the “devil’s music”, rock * roll is now the domain of Christian artistes. Crossover success started with pop artistes such as Amy Grant, Michael W Smith and Jars of Clay, but these days, newer faith-influenced acts have eschewed saccharine pop tunes for rock — from emo to post-punk to heavy metal and its sub-genres — to propel their music and message forward.
While rock outfits such as Fireflight, Underoath, Until June, Anberlin and MxPx are seen as Christian rock acts, these bands will be the first to say there’s no hidden agenda to their music — something those of little faith aren’t buying into, of course.
"t’s just a gimmick,” said marketing executive Eugene Teow. “Must they use rock music to push their message? No. They only do it because it’s the hip thing to do. Besides, doesn’t playing such hard rock music clash with their Christian beliefs?”
THE ‘BADDEST’ GOOD GIRL
It’s something Dawn Richardson (picture), lead singer of Fireflight, has heard all before. "Yeah, I know. I heard someone on TV say: ‘Christian rock? Isn’t that an oxymoron’?bemoaned the 26-year-old singer. “We get emails from people about saying stuff like ‘The drumbeats are not Christian’ or whatever. It’s ridiculous. Not even worth talking about, really!”
Fireflight is considered a “Christian band” because all their members are devout Christians, although they rock as hard as any secular band. Formed eight years ago by bassist Wendy Drennen and guitarist Glenn Drennen, the songs on Fireflight’s new album, Unbreakable, all carry positive messages, such as facing down your fears, and leaving them behind. The band is signed to Flicker Records, a label founded by members of Christian rock group Audio Adrenaline.
But as far as she’s concerned, Richardson said Fireflight’s music isn’t “Christian” in the full sense of the word. “We are Christians who happen to play rock music,” she told Today in a phone call from Florida.
Interestingly enough, although Richardson would rather not be labelled a holy rock ‘*’ roller, it was she who initially insisted that the band play solely Christian music. “That’s true!” she laughed.
“Before I became a Christian, I was the baddest girl I could be. Then when I became a Christian, I was the goodest girl ever. There was even a time - and I’m embarrassed to say this - where I wouldn’t even listen to secular music,” she admitted. “And it was during this time that they asked me to join the band, and I said, ‘Only if you play Christian music’.
“Since then, I’ve become more enlightened! I’m less childish, and thank goodness I listened to secular music again, because I love it!” she added.
THE ‘CHRISTIAN AVRIL’

Krystal Meyers, another up-and-coming singer, has been dubbed the “Christian Avril Lavigne”, but her songs, despite being “chick rock”, often talk of overcoming your difficulties instead of just moaning about them.
“To me, music should be music,” the 19-year-old said in a phone call from her home in Nashville, Tennessee. “Yes, I am a Christian, so that influences some of the things I write about, as well as my decisions and morals. But I’d like to not pigeonhole (my music). I like to write openly so that everyone can take a piece of the music and relate to it.”
Born into a Christian household – her dad Rick Meyers created the popular Bible study software e-Sword – Meyers found her talent for songwriting when she was 10. She was playing the guitar by 13 and released her self-titled debut when she was 16. Today, Meyers is busy putting the final touches to her third album, Make Some Noise, which she said, is a little poppier than her previous rock excursions. Which is surprising, considering she “never liked pop music in high school”.
“But I started expanding my musical horizons, starting with electro-rock band Shiny Toy Guns, and then I listened to Kylie Minogue and Robyn, and I loved it! My personality is quite bubbly. Even though I do rock music, I don’t have this hard personality - I think that pop music suits me much better,” she confessed.
The theme of the album, she said, is about encouraging young adults to figure out who they are and what they believe in, and make their stand. “And be loud and proud about it – make some noise and don’t let anyone else get in your shine,” she said.
HAVE FAITH IN MUSIC
At the end of the day, that both Fireflight and Krystal Meyers are gaining more fans - whether or not it’s because of their Christian roots - is a testament to the strength of their music, conceded sociology undergraduate Hwee Shin. “Let’s face it, people will listen to the music first, before they can appreciate the lyrical content,” she said.
“And I think the positive messages in songs should not be dismissed just because the band is deemed to be ‘Christian’ or whatever. At least it’s better than some other bands who have negative messages in their songs.”
Or perhaps it’s like what Until June’s guitarist Dan Ballard said. “Music is music. You shouldn’t pigeonhole it as Christian rock or pop rock or hard rock or whatever. There’re only two main types: Good music or not good music. And what those are depends only on one person - the one who’s listening to it.”
Amen, brother.
Unbreakable is in stores now. Make Some Noise will be out in July.
1 comment:
I first came across fireflight some time ago, and the music had such uplifting lyrics. I left it playing on loop at their website, whilst I did my housework.
I am glad that these fellow youths are standing up for the right message, even as they choose the words for their lyrics. So many contemporary songs sell out their beliefs by bucking to the trend of singing emo songs that encourage depression or rage or even complacency.
May these songs that have the right values in the lyrics, plant seeds to right thought, right living and most of all, right believing. Amen!
Post a Comment