Tuesday, 17th February 2026
The title of today's post is named after a song by Hues Corporation.I am more familiar with the remade version by Forrest because it was one of the songs of the 1980s I grew up with.
Now what is interesting about the song is this.
Even though entitled "Rock the Boat", the subject is telling the object in the song to *NOT* rock the boat.
So I'd like to know where, you got the notion
Said I'd like to know where, you got the notion
(Rock the boat) Don't rock the boat, baby
(Rock the boat) Don't tip the boat over
(Rock the boat) Don't rock the boat, baby
(Rock the boat)
Said I'd like to know where, you got the notion
(Rock the boat) Don't rock the boat, baby
(Rock the boat) Don't tip the boat over
(Rock the boat) Don't rock the boat, baby
(Rock the boat)
Which brings me to these 2 major events that happened to me -- in the very sensitive topics of "religion" and "politics".
(1) Rocking the Boat in Religion
Earlier followers of my blog would know that I was at one stage of my life both the Treasurer and a CG leader (my CG was called 3L7) of Paya Lebar Methodist Church ("PLMC"), the former for less than 2 years, the latter for just 7 months.
I recall that when I was made to abruptly step down from both posts by the then-PIC Peter Koh because he was anti-New Creation Church's teachings, someone from my previous CG 3L2 (the one we had multiplied out from) said to me, "Aiyo, why are you so stupid? Just hunker down and keep your opinions to yourself lah. You could have risen further up in the LCEC or even to TRAC level!"
In other words, "DON'T rock the boat!"
Maybe it was because I only saw the title of the song and did not hear the actual lyrics haha.
Seriously though, I had then just discovered the true gospel of the grace of Jesus Christ, and became the proverbial beggar who had discovered gourmet food and had to announce (no, shout) it to his fellow beggars.
Picture the Samaritan woman at the well who Jesus "must needed" to meet. She was so transformed by her encounter with our Lord that she abandoned her water pot and "must needed" to evangelise to her entire village. That was me those days in PLMC.
Anyway, Peter Koh was posted out of PLMC after 4 years, to be replaced by Rev Dr Jon Seet.
His sidekick Barnabas Chong was posted out after just 17 months, to be replaced by Rev Reuben Ng.
To this very day, both Peter and Barnabas resent me because they think I am the one behind them being posted out of PLMC prematurely. They have blocked me on WhatsApp and refuse to have anything to do with me.
But seriously though, do they really think I was that "powerful"? Sure, I do admit to having "prayed them out" because I wanted my then-church to be shepherded by grace-based pastors and be likewise transformed. But I had absolutely zero say about pastors coming in or going out. That was totally at the request of the then-PPRSC and the sole decision of the then-President of TRAC.
If I was indeed so "powerful", Rev Alvin Chan would be PIC of PLMC now, and not the current law-based, anti-Ps Prince one (let's call him K). The truth of the matter is that I have been "praying" him "out" ever since he invited Kong Hee to PLMC's 90th anniversary in 2022, yet refused to invite any NewCre pastors. But to this very today, more than 3 years on, my prayer has still not been answered π
If Peter and Barnabas had taken time to reflect upon themselves, they would realise that the then-PLMC leadership was collectively not at peace with them, and had quietly requested for their removal.
I was conveniently made a (or rather I had "volunteered" myself to be the) scapegoat, and the true decision makers are smiling to themselves to this very day, with me being frozen in time as the one holding onto the borrowed knife with blood dripping on my hands, to quote the Chinese saying εεζδΊΊ.
2) Rocking the Boat in Politics
Which brings me to the next sensitive topic. Ever since young, I have always had a soft spot for the underdog. Hence my support for the unfancied Aston Villa and not so popular Kim Wilde. I recall buying books peddled by Dr Chee Soon Juan in the 1990s, voting for SDP in 1991 and NSP in 2011.
Never in my wildest dreams did I see myself being roped into the incumbent party! But it was the sincerity of my MP Mr Seah Kian Peng (yes, I still refer to him as "my" MP) that won me over. He comes from a very humble background, where his mom had to do odd jobs like washing clothes and dishes to make ends meet. Joining politics was his way of giving back to society.
Mr Seah invited me to his Meet-the-People session in 2013 where I experienced first-hand the work they did (and still do) for the community. I especially found meaningful the monthly packing of essential items (Mr Seah would come alongside us and help pack the items too!) to be distributed to needy families in the vicinity.
I believe it was my sincerity that won him over too. Many people have hidden agendas and join the grassroots for benefits like free parking, priority to good schools, or business connections. Not me. I sincerely wanted to serve. So Mr Seah actually invited me to be his polling agent in GE2015, ahead of so many of his veteran volunteers! At that time, I was a relative newbie of only 2-odd years.
He invited me to his post-GE thanksgiving appreciation dinner, but I politely declined because many others who had tirelessly walked the ground with him during the period of campaigning were definitely more deserving and worthy of that meal. I also felt "guilty" for voting against him in GE2011 and posted this tribute to him on Facebook, which he then shared on his feed.
Unfortunately (or should I say fortunately), I kept seeing how the party would put its own interest before that of the nation's, and that got me more and more disillusioned. The final straw that broke the camel's back was when the goal posts were ridiculously shifted to prevent Dr Tan Cheng Bock from contesting the PE2017. Mr Seah was complicit in voting aye to amending the constitution which led to PE2017 being a complete mockery of democracy, with the ultimate insult to injury being the passing off of that Indian woman as a Malay candidate. #notmypresident
Increasingly conflicted with values that did not align with mine, I did what any decent person would do. I resigned from the party.
To Mr Seah's credit (unlike "christians" Peter Koh and Barnabas Chong), he and I remain civil to each other, and still greet each other when we meet. I respect him and understands where he is coming from, and I want to believe that he respects and understand where I am coming from too. He and I both love Singapore but express our patriotism in different ways.
The party I resonate most with now is PSP. Dr Tan had retired from politics and could have spent his twilight years peacefully, but he also saw how much the PAP had changed over the decades. He rocked the boat by forming PSP in 2019 and gave the incumbents a rude awakening in GE2020. They did not contest my ward, so I spoilt my vote.
They may have done badly in the most recent GE2025 elections, but God remains in control. I have not met Dr Tan Cheng Bock in person, but that is not on my rapture list (unlike wanting to meet Ps Prince in person, so help me God!)
I did however have a kairos encounter with Leong Mun Wai in Serangoon Gardens Country Club very recently, and discovered that we will be neighbours very soon because he stays in the same condo we will be moving into! He told me that PSP may consider contesting Marine Parade GRC, so who knows what lies ahead prior to the next election ;-)
In closing, my wife would always tell me, "kiang ju ho, mai ka kiang", which is Teochew for, "be clever, don't act clever." But sad to say, she married someone who has very strong (some would term it stubborn) convictions and will not hesistate to rock the boat when called upon by the Lord to do so.
Put it this way, if the early disciples did not rock the boat, Christianity would not have sprung forth from Judaism.
If Martin Luther did not rock the boat, there would have been no Reformation.
If John Wesley did not rock the boat, there would have been no Methodism.
And if Ps Prince did not rock the boat, New Creation Church would not be the biggest church in Singapore, with millions of followers world-wide.
In fact, I call myself "Chief Mover | Shaker" of my sole-proprietorship and will continue to rock the boat and disrupt the status quo when God directs me to.
So this is how I would alter the lyrics of the above song
Rock the Boat? Yes rock the boat, baby!
Rock the Boat? When called upon by God.




No comments:
Post a Comment