Sunday, May 4, 2008

Manga Messiah

Sunday, 4th May 2008

Great news! My 17-hour days are now over...

My son was discharged from the hospital two days ago and is now resting at home. He is recovering very well, and I want to thank all of you who have been covering him in prayer.

He received lots of hampers and presents from relatives and well-wishers, and we also got to partake of the fruits, healthy food and beverages :-)

One of the presents he received is a book entitled "Manga Messiah", which I have also conveniently taken to read for myself.

I am not really into Japanese comics, but I must say that God can even use this medium to proclaim His message to the world.

Initially, I was a little skeptical, but as I started flipping the pages, I must say that it portrays a rather accurate illustration of the scriptures. For example, the virgin birth comes across very clearly.

As a matter of fact, I even learnt some things that I was not aware of before! For example, on page 74 of the comic book, shortly after attending the wedding at Cana, Jesus was in Jerusalem to celebrate the Passover when He went into the temple and overturned the tables of the money changers and drove out the merchants who were selling oxen, sheep and doves. I had previously thought that this incident took place much later in His ministry, when He was in Jerusalem to celebrate His last passover meal in the Upper Room the week of His crucifixion. So I did what the Bereans did -- I referred to the Scriptures and voila, this incident was indeed recorded in John 2, the same chapter where Jesus turned water into wine!

Another interest fact is found on page 88 of the comic book. Here, we read that Jesus was in Judea when He heard about John the Baptist's imprisonment. He decided to go to Galilee, and a map is drawn to show that in between the districts of Judea and Galillee lies the district of Samaria! It was during this journey that Jesus rested at Jacob's well and met the Samaritan woman.

I decided to check the scriptures on this again and voila, Jn 4:3-4 reads, "He left Judea and went away again into Galilee. And He had to pass through Samaria." !!!

I did a Google search and discovered that the book is available in Singapore at SKS Bookstore.

I also checked out the publisher NextManga's website and discovered that other titles are on the way:

1. Manga Mutiny: Angels and Mankind on Open Rebellion
(Genesis through beginning of Exodus)

2. Manga Melech: The Rise and Fall of Gods and Kings
(Kings and Chronicles)

3. Manga Messengers: Will Those Who Are Lost Listen?
(Major and Minor Prophets)

4 Menga Metamorphosis: Flaming Rebirth of a World Turned Upside Down
(Acts and Epistles)

Can't wait to get my hands on them too!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The book is sold at Popular bookstore Bishan J8, got a copy for my son.

It's interesting & perhaps also an irony that it takes a country like Japan (very much "un-reached", excepts by mormons) to produce such a good illustration of the Gospel of Luke (at least for the first 47 pages it matches). I would have thought such comics should have come out from countries like the US or Europe .....

Today Pastor Prince announced, though not formally, that NCC is making an outreach to Japan.

I remembered making an offering stating outreach to Japan about a year ago, but then I was told there's no such channel yet.

Therefore I was really glad to hear the news today.

Me & my wife just felt that the Japanese needed the Gospel of Jesus Christ. To us they are such zealous innovative people whom we believe would make an impact for the body of Christ. Besides their youths are kinda lost ... and Singapore youths are also kinda heading towards that lost direction ...

Shalom Shalom
William

Malcolm Loh said...

Hi William

Was at J8 today, and saw it sold at Popular and Trumpet Praise :-)