Today marks a day of significance in the life of my church, Paya Lebar Methodist Church.
Ps Reuben Ng, our youth pastor, preached his 50th sermon since being posted to my church in August 2007.

Entitled "God's Family", Ps Reuben expounds on the passage Mk 3:31-35
Mark 3
Jesus' Mother and Brothers
31 Then Jesus' mother and brothers arrived. Standing outside, they sent someone in to call him.
32 A crowd was sitting around him, and they told him, "Your mother and brothers are outside looking for you."
33 "Who are my mother and my brothers?" he asked.
34 Then he looked at those seated in a circle around him and said, "Here are my mother and my brothers!
35 Whoever does God's will is my brother and sister and mother."
When I was much younger, I used to be very puzzled by this passage because Jesus appears to be "snubbing" His own physical family members by considering those seated around Him as His family members instead of them.
Well, hear how Ps Reuben debunks the above by clicking on the link below...
http://www.box.net/shared/uzk6xg3r1q
You can also download to hear all his previous 49 sermons at the following link:
http://www.box.net/shared/uzrv6pnyo8
As I look back, I realise that God's timing is indeed perfect.
There was a time when the entire pastoral team was vehemently against the grace message.
Rev Peter Koh, the senior pastor has officially disallowed Ps Joseph Prince's materials (although he allows Rev Kong Hee's and Ps Edmund Chan's), so church members have to resort to distributing such materials amongst themselves on the sly. He even "wrote" an article on antinomianism, which was critical of the grace message.
Rev Tay Kay Leong, the assistant pastor, has on several occasions criticised New Creation Church, saying that it preaches "cheap grace" and that he is unimpressed by its phenomenal growth since it has "stolen sheep" from other churches.
Rev Barnabas Chong, the youth pastor until July 2007, even had the audacity to round up the youth leadership to tell them that they were forbidden from attending that church's midweek services, failing which he would strip them of their leadership positions. He also frequently preached law-based sermons that caused them much hurt and confusion.
But God in His tendy mercies, sent Ps Reuben to us. He is truly a breath of fresh air, and the one main reason why I have not given up my 42-year church membership to follow the tens of thousands who now regularly worship at the Rock. I know that one fine day, my church is going to discover and embrace the grace gospel for herself, and our church membership will also explode the same way NewCre has, because ALL my pastors are unveiling the person of Jesus and His finished work, week in week out.
HAPPY JUBILEE, Ps Reuben!
May God continue to bless and prosper your ministry!!!
4 comments:
Hi Malcolm,
I read your blog regularly. Like you, my membership is with another church but I attend New Crea as and when it's possible. I take all sermons with a pinch of salt - I'll go back and pray and re-read the verses quoted before deciding if it's from God. Yesterday, I was at New Crea and Ps Prince preached on Generational Curse wrt to Law and Grace. I was really blessed by the message as it's a topic close to my heart. I am surprised that distribution of NCC's material were prohibited. I believe that those people queuing are in church rather than any place else. As for lost sheep, when a church can't meet the needs, it's natural for people to move on.
Pastor Reuben spoke of God’s family
Which includes all of us, even me
There were lots of references to MJ
Throughout Reuben’s sermon today
But they really only served to show
How far from God some can go
Only He should we adore
Every day, more and more
From verses 31-35 of Mark three
Wrong conclusions there can be
But if the will of God we do
Part of His family us He will view
But Jesus also did remember
His natural family member
The Kingdom of God is at hand
We should join the ‘fishers of men’ band
For those who ask what is God’s will
There are two parts to fulfil
The first is to believe, follow, and repent
As Jesus was a reflection of God’s intent
And as related we all are
We should treat each other on par
The second is often viewed as tough
But God does not bluff
Think of the Lord’s Prayer
And doubt we should not dare
He gave us the ability not to fail
So we should rejoice, not wail
Per Philippians two, verse thirteen
In us His will should be seen
As truthful always is God’s word
If anything else should be heard
A lie from Satan it must be
And from it we must flee
We are not sinners saved by grace
We are saints living in His grace
Don’t forget that He deems us worthy
So don’t ever think we are unworthy
That is what the devil might say
But we are saints, so all is okay
All problems on earth can be overcome
A ‘silly child’ we should not become
The war is not in our mind and soul
Listening to God’s word must be our main goal
We can do all things in His strength
He can go to any length
Even if things look very dim
Nothing is impossible with Him
Another breath of fresh air?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYsClDclvf0&feature=related
That video features Paul Washer, a fiery law-based preacher which I have blogged about.
Check out the following links:
http://rootss.blogspot.com/search?q=paul+washer
Post a Comment