Sunday, April 4, 2010

Responses to the Unfair Exchange

Sunday, 4th April 2010

Yesterday, I blogged about the unfair exchange whereby let's say you win a lucky draw prize but the agent tries to exchange it for something worse in the first instance and something better in the second.

I also blogged about 4 types of responses. Let me go through them in turn to draw parallels to the way we as Christians respond to the unfair divine exchange:

1. It's okay. Anyway, since it's free, I'll take whatever I can get that you can give.

Some of us respond to the divine exchange this way. which I will call that of "the ignorant Christian". We are happy and contented with our lot in life. After all, we think that God has every right to not even give us anything, so we settle for whatever. On the surface, this seems a very noble response but the sad fact is that we are ignorant of what we are entitled to as beneficiaries of the New Covenant. We need not settle for anything less. After all, God had already not withheld His very best, so will He not in Him freely give us all things? If Satan prevents prosperity or health from coming our way, we should not resign ourselves but instead tell him, "hands off devil. This is mine. It was purchased by the blood of the Lamb!"

2. No way, Jose! The lucky draw said a trip to the Maldives, so at the minimum, you should give me something that is equivalent to S$5,000.

This is the typical response of "rights-based Christian". They are better off than the ignorant Christian in that they know what their rights are and will not allow themselves to be shortchanged. However, their mentality is that of the worker in the parable of the vineyard who was labouring since the morning, or that of the elder brother of the prodigal son who was with their dad since day one. They have a strong sense of "deservedness" and as a result, cannot come to terms with a God who operates on the frequency of "undeservedness".

3. Paiseh leh. Let me pay you for the difference of S$10,000.

This is the response of a "obligations-based Christian". They are also better off than the ignorant Christian but are no better than the "rights" Christian. While that Christian insists on his rights because he serves in the church, or fasts twice a week, the "obligations" Christian feels he needs to earn God's favour. He feels embarrassed to take from God or to enjoy God's blessings. But the sad truth is that such feelings of undeservedness is actual an indication of pride. It actually takes great humility to accept a gift. Well, how much effort we may want to put in to earn God's blessings still come way short. All our righteous deeds are but soiled sanitory napkins in the sight of God, and the sooner we realise that, the better.

4. Thank you! This is really an unexpected but pleasant and wonderful surprise! I am really grateful for your generosity!

Finally, the fourth type of Christian is what I would term the "informed Christian" or botug (believer operating totally under grace). When God blesses Him over and above what He can ever ask or imagine, he responses with a sense of gratitude and thanksgiving.

What is your response when God blesses you with His unmerited, unearned and undeserved favour? May it be that of the botug. Amen?

2 comments:

Reny said...

It's very disturbing to my mind.. I know it's true, but still having a hard time to chew on it... it takes time to "unlearn"...

Sonya said...

I have been reading your blog for several weeks now....you are a great teacher. I am learning a lot from the things you post....I am NOW a BOTUG...(used to be all of the others mentioned). :-) I am so thankful...so thankful to my Father!