Thursday, June 3, 2010

In Conversation with A City Harvester

Thursday, 3rd June 2010

I don't usually blog on weekdays but will make an exception today.

I believe the biggest news amongst Christians in blogosphere is what appeared in the local press a couple days ago regarding what is currently the biggest megachurch in Singapore, namely City Harvest Church.

I will be very honest about this.  I do not like Kong Hee.  I love him as a brother-in-Christ, but I do not like the man.  His sermon series on antinomianism drove a wedge between his church and NewCre and also his recent disparaging remarks about Ps Prince not only insults Ps Prince but also the intelligence of those that embrace the grace gospel, and discredits the spiritual journey of discovering what the true gospel that people like yours truly has travelled in the past 5 years or so.

Anyway, I have been putting links on my FB status to articles about him plagiarising the works of other Christian authors without realising that it was only the tip of the iceberg.  When hell broke loose after the Asia Conference about the financial irregularities, I brought this to the attention of a handful of CityHarvesters.

One of them (who is an ex-colleague of mine) became upset and we had a conversation on Facebook as follows.  I have withheld his name to protect his privacy...

Miko, June 1 at 11:49pm
Dear Malcolm,
Seriously, I can't believe that you are still not over this debate over grace. Did the preaching of 10 commandments disgust you so much that you have to demean a pastor publicly? Do you have to be so mean?! And why are we even debating over a book that was written more than 2000 years ago?! When I first write to you, I thought you were something more than that.
I mean... Does it even matter what do you sincerely believe? We can go into the little details on our doctrine differences, argue till the cows come home and spit venom at each other but is it worth it?
Regardless where one come from or what kind of doctrine one is taught, I believe that when the time comes, we will all be in heaven. It doesn't matter which church you attend. New creation, city harvest or that neighborhood church just round the corner. Everyone attends a church not because we have too much time in our hand. I believe the reason why people will make time to be in a church every week is because the people have a genuine love for god. God is more intelligent than us... if we love God and love his people, we will be alright.
In the mean time, what we can do more with is tolerance for differences and love for his people. This is what the world needs. Not another f#$king debate about religion. Seriously...
I hope you get my point.
Sincerely,
Miko

Malcolm Loh, June 2 at 9:17am 
Hey Miko
Calm down now. You need not get so defensive over your pastor. At the end of the day, it is Jesus that rox, not Kong Hee or Prince or any other pastor.
Paul said in 1 Cor 15:56 that "the strength of sin is the law", so those that promote the 10 commandments do not realise that they are asking for a revival of sin! And that is exactly what is happening in your church, sad to say. What is the point of holding a conference of 100,000 Christians when the very next day, 100,000 pre-believers get pissed off with Christianity.
Paul also said in Rom 7:7 that he only knew what covetousness was when he was taught "thou shalt not covet"?
Don't you get it? Your pastor may have the best of intentions, but intentions, however noble, will have the worst outcome if he is law-based. Paul himself had good intentions when he went around arresting the early Christians; he thought he was doing His God a favour.
And so, it is no surprise to me that City Harvest is in the state where it is now. If you sow into the law, what you reap is sin. Plain and simple.
So you may ask how does one be directed if there are no ten commandments? The Holy Spirit takes over. He writes the commandment in our hearts and guides us on what to do and what not to do.
Hope you get my point...
Sincerely
Malcolm

Miko, June 2 at 10:44pm
Dear Malcolm,
I think anyone who reads my message will know that I am not defending my pastor. If he is wrong, he will be dealt with. I just find it strange that you are making so much noise in this saga than the people who contributed to the church funds. Did you even have anything to do with this thing?!
One more time just in case you are so blind not to see my point, I am not in anyway defending my pastor. What I am is that I am pissed with religious zealots who make it their life mission to correct what other people believe.
In this context, I think the islam extremists are even a level better than you. At least they display intolerance to other faith only. But in your case, your intolerance spreads even to other churches with a different teaching from yours though we believe in the same God.
Why can't we just accept each other's differences and shut up. Muslim, christians, buddhists, gay, straight or whatever. It doesn't matter. Everyone has the right to choose and we should respect their choice. This world will be a better place.
Just to turn you on, I give you right this time. I believe that what you say is true. The bible phrases that you quote is so profoundly true and encouraging. The church is in this state now because pastor kong preach the law. We should be all on our knees and repent.
I have totally lost my respect for you Malcolm. I hope you are happy.
Sincerely,
Miko

Malcolm Loh June 2 at 10:59pm
dear miko
may i remind you that it was your pastor who started finding fault with newcre's teachings. the series on antinomianism was him casting the first stone.
and please take note is not newcre or me thowing stones back. it is the cad and police that are doing the investigating.
all i am saying is that i am not surprised about what is happening because one who places so much emphasis on keeping the ten commandments ends up being the one who breaks them too.
and i do not need your respect for me, miko. what keeps me going is not the approval of man, but the assurance that God loves me and that newcre's teachings are correct :-)

[Afternote: subsequent to publishing this blog entry, Miko fired this final salvo]

Miko, June 4 at 12:34am
Dear Malcolm,

So this is what it is all about. Revenge. Like a kid who has not grown up. You are so cheap to deliver a low blow man. Your action and your mentioning regarding God disgust me. If I ever disown my faith, it is because of people like you who talks about God all day long yet shows no love to his people. Major contradiction, absolute stupidity. I hope that assurance of God will make you happy.
Fuck off...
Sincerely,
Miko

I was unable to respond to him because he had not only unfriended me on Facebook but also blocked me from doing so :-)

And the sad thing is that he is what the average CityHarvester is like.  Miko looks like he is in his late twenties, and has been attending that church for nearly 10 years. He is young, vibrant, full of energy, but sorely lacking in spiritual fundamentals.  Not once did he use scripture to back up his arguments.  (In fact, his only reference to the Bible was that it was a book written more than 2,000 years ago).  When I quoted him 1 Cor 15:56 and Rom 7:7, he did not do what the Bereans did in examining the Scriptures to see what I said was true, but instead mocked it off as though it didn't matter one way or another. 

And if his being a Christian is based on how charismatic his pastor is or his impression of other Christians rather than on Jesus Himself, then I shudder to think how many of the ?33,000 became "Christians" more so because they could be part of the monstrous social network that Kong Hee had built.

Do pray for Miko and the other CityHarvesters that God will help them to shift their focus onto Jesus, the author and perfector of faith, rather than on their pastor or other Christians.  An exodus is likely to happen, and may they find their promised land in One-North :-)

12 comments:

Unknown said...

Miko is sure angry, and perhaps confused. To use strong verbal vulgarities (no matter how one replaces it with other characters it's still obvious what's the original word) is a sure sign of law, man made ones like, "Thou shalt not be vulgar or crude ..." and then as the pressure builds up, and the heart keeps meditating on "be nice, be nice, I am a Christian, be nice be nice." and remember "thou shalt not speaketh vulgarities." repeatedly, then the final straw that breaks the camel's back is, "@#$@#$%%%" cos that's what he has been so conscious of! Conscious of law and sin, instead of Christ Jesus. I have been through this journey, am still learning, it's so important to keep reminding ourselves we are under Grace!

AS for respect, I think Miko is trying to reconcile with forgiving and respecting the very pastors and individuals he has been listening to all these years. I recall what happened to my ex-Church was like that. Founding Pastor went into adultery. The congregation, disappointed, some forgave, some left, some cannot reconcile that the "idol" their charimatic pastor has gone astray, they are confused.

Miko's mind your own business Christianity is sad. If the early Churches and Apostles were to do likewise, we will not get to hear the Good News. Imagine these early Apostles think likewise, you believe yours, I believe mine, mind our own business, respect your faith ok.... Even Paul has to correct Peter, who walks with Jesus! Try imagine, Peter tell Paul to mind his own business, afterall as long as they believe, we all go to heaven what! Why so "difficult"!

Shalom Shalom
William

Anonymous said...

Bro Malcolm,

While I agree with your sentiments whole-heartedly, and I personally disagree with what CHC people are being taught, I was led by God yesterday to this passage:
2 Timothy 2:23-26.

Let me quote the NLT version:
"Again I say, Don't get involved in foolish, ignorant arguments that only start fights . A servant of the Lord must not quarrel but must be kind to everyone, be able to teach, and be patient with difficult people. Gently instruct those who oppose the truth. Perhaps God will change the people's hearts, and they will learn the truth. Then they will come to their senses and escape from the devil's trap. For they have been held captive by him to do whatever he wants."

While I would say that your arguments against CHC's teachings are sound and hence not 'ignorant' per se, I would say that perhaps the method of executing the argument leaves a lot to be desired. Being so firmly rooted in your beliefs, by fiercely arguing and criticizing a teaching, will that change one's thoughts and opinions? No! That would only make the person believe his/ her teachings even more firmly, and in that person's mind acts more as a confirmation that the message he is hearing preached against is part of wrong doctrine. Hence, I would conclude that what you are doing here is 'foolish' (no offence meant okay! I am quoting Paul); it ALSO does not bode well for New Creation's image. Aren't we suppose to be more gracious, since we ourselves believe in God's endless grace that explains our deep-rooted beliefs that we are justified by Jesus' sacrifice alone, apart from works and the law?

(BTW I do not think that saying you are not from NCC but from PLMC makes a difference. You were impacted by NCC's message of grace, right? Hence you are acting as a 'representative' of New Creation)

Are we being kind to them in saying that 'no, you are wrong! Mine is correct!!! And you are 100% wrong!!!'? While the intention is the 'correct' one, the execution leads the other party to believe that your intention is 'wrong' and that it is merely to criticize and find fault.

I believe we should follow the Holy Spirit's instructions, taken down by the Apostle Paul, that we ought to 'gently instruct those who oppose the truth' (v. 25), and then 'perhaps God will change the people's hearts, and they will learn the truth'!

Peace be with you,
Gerald

Anonymous said...

Bro Malcolm,

Again, not meaning to criticize you or prove 'one up-manship' against you, it should be interesting to note that Ps Prince during today's sermon urged the congregation not to use this investigation as a means to 'attack' CHC and or as a means to say that 'hey see lah, you never embrace the grace gospel', i.e. using the gospel of grace as an excuse to condemn CHC. He said we should instead be praying for them, because if they are found to be guilty it would, in fact, hurt the church as a whole, which I agree with completely!

Ps Prince also said that it pains him to see people under the grace gospel not extending grace to their fellow brothers-in-Christ in such a manner.

I believe we should not make premature conclusions when there has been no final outcome yet.

Peace be with you,
Gerald

Jeffrey said...

Yup.

Have to agree with Gerald.

Anonymous said...

Ps Prince actually rebuked those from NCC who participated in the various forums who made uncalled-for comments on CHC saga.

I read Malcolm's comments on Facebook and here. I would encourage you to stop your unnecessary comments and let God be the final judge in this matter. It's not a time to show who is right or who is wrong. It is time to show the world what Christians are really about. The world knows Christians by the love we have for each other. Stop jeering at a hurting brother. It really doesn't reflect well on the person who rejoices at another's mistakes.

Jared said...

i agree with gerald.

while i do believe in grace, and i'm very much for preaching filled with grace, it's another thing altogether to try to shove our beliefs down other people's throats.

i think we're all entitled to say, explain our views and beliefs about grace and law, but to draw such defining lines creates unnecessary conflicts.

i understand that many pastors have spoken out against newcrea, and antinomianism. but that by no means permits us to do the same.

i do not agree with pastor konghee's preaching. and if engaged on the issue, i would gladly discuss it with friends. but that's totally different from saying things like, "it is no surprise to me that City Harvest is in the state it is in now... sow in the law, reap in sin". i'm sorry to say this, but that sounds antagonistic to me.

it would be just as ridiculous if say, someone in new creation were to be investigated for similar activities. there would surely be critics saying that it's the grace based preaching that has led to such lawlessness. in such a situation, they would have also missed the point.

Malcolm Loh said...

Hi Gerald, Jeff, Jared and Anon

My initial response would have been that since I'm not from NewCre, I will not be seen as "bias". And since Ps Prince's rebuke was for his members, it did not apply to me :-)

And my next response would have been, "Aren't you guys doing the same thing to me, admonishing me on a public forum? Remove the log from your eye first before removing the speck in mine."

But just to let you know, my own pastor Rev Reuben did drop me an email earlier when I sent him the link about Kong Hee's "apology" regarding his plagiarism that Stan blogged about. And since he *is* my pastor, I will take his counsel. Here was his email to me:

"Hi Malcolm, just some of my thoughts in the light of what has happened to CHC...I'm glad it wasn't you who wrote the blog :)

He has apologised...apparently not in the manner in which to satisfy all...but he has apologised...

He has been forgiven...unfortunately not by all Christians...but he has been forgiven by the One who matters most...and I think we should see as He sees and treat the person as He treats the person...and forget as He forgets...

He is family...whether one feels that he is or whether one likes it that he is...he is family...a fellow brother...someone blood bought and also grafted in...just like us...meaning too that he is part of the body...when one part is affected, the entire body is affected...in the natural, when a part of the body is affected by injury or illness, the other parts do not take part in dispensing more pain or sickness...in the spiritual, ought the body do otherwise...

He is a son of God...God is pained when such happens to His children...we should help and not add to the cause for pain...

Whatever my stand on their teaching and their methods...I feel for him and the worshippers during this time as they go through the investigation...I wonder about the implications this would have on the church in Singapore...I pray for them..."

Speaking of which, I had lunch with him last Thursday, during which he asked me how come I did not transfer to NewCre but decided to stay on in PLMC. I will blog about that in a future post, so stay tuned :-)

Stanley Wong said...

Hi Mal,
With regards to Ps Reuben's email - he said "He has apologised ... apparently not in the manner in which to satisfy all...but he has apologised..."

I think Ps Reuben totally missed the point of my blog post i.e. Ps Kong did not really apologize, he was covering up his plagiarism with an explanation full of loopholes which suggests that he was not telling the truth.

I am exasperated that many Christians like to use the argument of "when one part is affected, the entire body is affected...in the natural, when a part of the body is affected by injury or illness, the other parts do not take part in dispensing more pain or sickness...in the spiritual, ought the body do otherwise..." to not bother to find out the TRUTH.

Allow me to reiterate a little of what I said in my latest blog post here:

"Pastor Kong Hee's explanation should have removed any trace of doubt that it is not plagiarism but an honest mistake of omission, yet it raised even more doubts due to gaping loopholes in the explanation.

My point has always been and is this: Plagiarism raises questions about a person's integrity and should raise a red flag in our assessment of that person's character. Another red flag should be raised when the explanation that it was an honest mistake and that no plagiarism occurred is not convincing and full of contradictions.

Some commenters have said that we should not be quick to judge others but didn't Jesus also said that we should "be wise as serpents and harmless as doves"? (Matt 10:16) We should be alert to clues which may save us from being led astray or taken advantage of by others."

I wonder if the CAD would be as "gracious" as some of us Christians to accept half-baked explanations at face value.

Anonymous said...

Yo Malcolm,
Firstly, I am not with New Cre, nor am I with City Harv. But, definately born again. : )
I totally agreed with Gerald and suggest that you let the matter rest. I think you r hurting Miko by arguing with him. Why rub salt into his wound??
I kinda think you are not exercising grace here.... even thu I think you understood all the messages from Ps Prince, its just like knowing the letter that kills and not the Spirit that gives life.
Just my 2 cents' worth....

Jerry

Malcolm Loh said...

Hi Jerry

Please see my comments dated Jun 7 about the email I received from my own pastor :-)

By the way, Kong Hee's plagiarism appears on page 3 of today's Straits Times...

Melvin said...

Dear Malcolm,

I am not surprise that you posted, without consulting me, our private conversation publicly on your blog. I guess it did not cross your mind that there might be a reason why I dropped you private messages instead of openly posting my reply on the wall.

After reading through your blog, it is astonishingly appalling that you still fail, in my several attempts in explanation, grasp the real nature of my arguments. It is never about City Harvest's teaching or New Creation's teaching. It is never about Grace vs Law.

A real exchange of ideas can only happen if one can prepare his mind to accept the fact that there might be a chance that he is wrong. I hope you will embrace a sound mind while reading my final attempt to get my point across. This is constructed in a way that even my little cousin is able, in a single read through, to comprehend my point. Here goes...

When the news of my church is involved in the money scandal, I received 3 kinds of response from the people I know.

1. Concern - I received around 5 of them from all non-Christians.
2. Antipathy (Hate speech) - I received 1 ill willed message from a Christian.
3. Silence - Almost everyone else

Now, who is the bad guy? Non-Christian, Christian or everyone else?
My cousin said that the Christian is the bad guy and he should be eaten up by a lion. What do you say Malcolm?

Now I hope you understand now why me not quoting any bible verses is not attributed to me being "sorely lacking in spiritual fundamentals" but rather because I do not see the need to as this is not a spiritual debate to start with. The real war is one between right response and wrong response to situation.

When the scandal news broke out, it was the non-christians who pass the test. They came with words of concern but you, Malcolm, come to "add salt to the wound". More than that, you attack viciously using none other than the name of your god!

You who claims that people are "sorely lacking in spiritual fundamentals" are sorely lacking in it as well. You who babbles out your the theoretical prowess yet not understand the "spiritual" aspect of it.

You should be ashamed of yourself.

P.S. In aid of explaining my point, I mentioned that it does not matter which church one comes from. This was read out of context by Liu who attributes it to a "mind your own business Christianity". While I would like to address several (tasteless) assumptions that was made through his analytical mind, I guess a better option will be to carry on living my life.


Sincerely,
Melvin aka Miko

DC said...

Peace,we have all fallen short. One very impt lesson we must learn is

Walk like Jesus,
Think like Jesus,
Speak like Jesus