What Better Time to Make Lemonade?

Saturday, 8th November 2008

Amidst the doom and gloom that is currently going on, there is actually something positive that works to our advantage as Singaporeans. Read on...

I went to Munich on a business trip in March last year, and took the opportunity to visit Villa Park in Birmigham a couple of days before that. Back then, the Sterling pound was at about £1 = S$3. Well, I checked out the exchange rate recently and noted that it had dropped to about £1 = S$2.30.

Sports shops here in Singapore would only bring in the Aston Villa home jersey (because of the extremely small fan base here), so I went to the Aston Villa official website two weeks ago to purchase the away jersey for £45.25 (including shipping costs of £6.95). This worked out to be about S$108, when it would have cost S$135 previously. And so I effectively saved about 20%.

The shirt arrived in the mail several days back and that's me on the right wearing it :-D

I also noticed that the Aussie dollar, which used to be as high as A$1 = S$1.30 as recent as a year ago, is now about parity. And so it's also a good time to buy stuff from Australia. When I was in England last year, I bought PS2 games known as Sing Star, one of which comes with 2 microphones. The object of the game is to sing along to the songs (karaoke style) and points are accumulated based on rhythm, tone, etc. My youngest sis and I enjoyed singing along to Sing Star 1980s, which features the popular retro songs of our era such as Careless Whisper by Wham and We Built This City by Starship.

Anyways, my kids did a search on Google and discovered the latest release called Sing Star Hottest Hits, which contains songs of their era by the likes of Sean Kingston and MCR, and they persuaded me to buy it for them. The local stores do not carry Sing Star, so I decided to order it from an Australian online website that I came across called dvdorchard. It costs A$60.86 (including shipping and insurance of A$20) which translates to only about S$60. I bought those Sing Star discs from England last year for about £25 each, (or S$75) so again that means savings of some 20% again.

I remember my church's Senior Pastor saying before that when he throws us lemons, we should make lemonade, and so I thank God for these 2 glasses of lemonade, so to speak, because what better time to make them. Amen?

No comments:

Powered By Blogger