Sunday, May 9, 2010

Building the Team (不停的听)

Saturday, 8th May 2010

I apologise for not having not been able to blog over the past 2 weeks.  Two weeks ago, I was slightly under the weather so I spent the most part of the weekend catching some zees.  Last weekend, I was in Johor for a teambuilding session.

And that is what I wanted to blog about :-)

About two months back, my COO asked me to see her to tell me that she wanted me to co-chair a teambuilding ("TB") session involving both the sales people and the admin support people.  There had been teambuilding sessions in the past but they were always held separately; this would be the first time whereby both groups of people would be participants.

Similar to how I felt back in Dec 09 when asked to chair the D&D committee, my initial response was that of inadequacy.  But then I remembered nothing happens by chance and that this would be yet another God-given opportunity for Him to manifest His unmerited favour.  And so, I quickly roped in my secretary (she will always be the first one to be "arrowed" when projects are given to me, just like how it was with the D&D) and we started looking for a place offsite to hold the teambuilding session. 

Having decided on and recommending the Mercure Palm Resort in Senai, Johor to the TB chairman (who happens to be the Head of Training), he then requested for a total of 12 members to form the committee -- 4 from Sales, 3 from Finance, 2 from Trainiing, 1 from Corporate Services, 1 from Marketing and 1 from Human Resources. 

[Here is a photo of the 12 of us, just after being treated to an appreciation lunch by the Chairman two days ago.]

We had a total of 7 meetings leading up to the event and although this was above and beyond our normal scope of work, I have to say hand on heart that it was more fun rather than work!  The Head of Training is a person full of creativity and wild ideas, whereas I (and my 2 Finance team-mates and the one from HR) am more the type that work quietly behind the scenes.  Anyway, it was a good mix of people -- both extroverts and introverts.

The theme of the inaugural joint Sales-Admin Support teambuilding session was "Building the Team", transliterated into Mandarin as 不停的听 (bu ting de ting) which means "don't stop listening".  Hence the title of today's entry.

A dear brother said "this wil make good preaching too... lol.. to build a great team, one must have a hearing heart..."

To cut a long story short, the TB was a great and fabulous success.  The overall feedback given was that this was the *best* teambuilding ever organised, the very same accolodes given about our D&D held in Feb 10 being the *best* D&D ever organised!  And I, of all people, have the God-given honour and privilege to be part of both organising committees!!! :-)

[Oh by the way, you can read about the D&D here.]

And so I want to give all glory and honour again to my Lord and Saviour, Jesus Christ for the unmerited favour bestowed upon me, His beloved, yet again.  Just like how Joseph found favour and had success because God was with him. 

Thank you Jesus for your undeserved and unearned favour.  Hallelujah!

Here is a video montage of the highlights of "Building the Team", which has been uploaded to YouTube:




And here are some of the photos that were taken, uploaded onto Facebook for your viewing pleasure:

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=167407&id=751059341&l=1978f6025f

No comments: