Saturday, November 22, 2025

It's Telly Time! (2008/2022)

Saturday, 22nd November 2025

Today, I will blog about the 3rd item on my rapture list, and that is appearing on television.

And just like the first 2 items, this too has been checked off twice -- once in 2008 and a second time in 2022.

My debut appearance on the telly is connected to the 1st item on the list.  Back in the late 2000s, there was a weekly TV series sponsored by Nokia entitled "Football Crazy".  

Every now and then, they would invite football fanatics to appear on the show, and I can just imagine how many requests from supporters of the likes of Liverpool and Manchester United they would have turned down.

On the other hand, Aston Villa fans were a rarity back then, so they welcomed us with open arms, as we numbered only a handful and could easily fit into the studio.

And that was exactly what happened!  Back then, we had a Yahoo! Group called AstonVillaRox, and the producer of the show Collette Wong cordially invited us to ESPN's studio at NewTechPark to appear on the show, and it was broadcasted live on 28 February 2008.

In the end, only 3 of us turned up (namely Mark Ho, Lim Chen Meng and me, the rest were too shy). But it was such an amazing experience.  That's us with the hosts Jamie Yeo, Andy Panders, Sheikh Haikel and PJ Roberts.

I actually appeared on TV a second time more recently and that was thanks to my elder sister, Angie.  She used to work in MediaCorp as a script writer and they still engage her occasionally.

In 2022, she was asked to write the script for a series called "Let's Talk About Health" and she asked if I knew anyone who would be keen to appear as "calefares" for an episode on the sensitive topic of "Male Menopause, aka Andropause". 

I asked my circle of friends, and they all declined when informed of the topic at hand, for obvious reasons, haha.

As for me, being the thick-skinned person that I am, and having the opportunity to appear on telly again, I happily volunteered.

And so, here is my 15 seconds of fame: me posing the question to the urologist haha.


No comments: