Sunday, September 21, 2008

Down Memory Lane

Sunday, 21st September 2008

I have mentioned before on this blog about how as a teenager with acne, I found comfort in the world of secular pop music -- and the music back then was that of the 1980s.

Even till now, I still prefer music from that era, which is curently known as "retro music". When my wife and I went to Europe for our honeymoon back in 1992, with our final stop at London, I remember how I would go into HMV, where I would pick up rarities not usually available in Singapore like the Best of collections of bands like Haircut One Hundred and The Nolans.

With the advent of the Internet and online music, even rarer songs like Twilight Cafe by Susan Fassbender and Tom Hark by The Piranhas could be found.

My wife also grew up on the music of the 1980s and her favourite band is Spandau Ballet. In fact, several songs bring back great memories to both of us because we were courting then. These include Waiting For A Star To Fall by Boy Meets Girl and Electric Blue by Icehouse.

Anyways, I am really digressing here, so to cut a long story short (oh that's the title of Spandau Ballet's debut release, by the way), I have set up another blog to cater to my other interest, ie. the music of the 1980s.

For those of who are not averse to this (because I know there are some Christians who refer to such as the devil's music), do check out 80s-Vinyls and how I recently bought a turntable to walk down memory lane.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Malcolm,

Just today, my wife was going through my CD folder in my car and reminded me that I used to compile songs of the 80s which I did not play for years (as I was listening to Pastor Princes' msg and praise and worship songs now). Decided to play one of the CD which incl Tears for Fear, Naked Eyes, Spandau Ballet and Duran Duran. Still love the "beat" of the 80's.

God Bless,
Jeremy Loo

Daughter Of Sarah said...

LOL. Despite growing up in that era, listening to my Aunt belt out tunes, I am a child of the eras before the 80s. I love songs like "Dear Heart", "See How Big The Tree Has Grown", "Swanee River", "As Time Goes By", "Tell Laura I Love Her", "I'll be seeing you in all the old familiar places...", "Love Me Tender", songs by Skeeter Davis, The Carpenters, Andy Williams, Frank Sinatra, Elvis, etc ... I loved the stories each song told. Lol.

Ian grooves more to the beat of the 80s than I did - He loves Aha!

I guess the songs I enjoyed from the 80s were "Foolish Beat", "I Think We're Alone Now", "Toy Soldiers", "A Whiter Shade of Pale", "Eternal Flame"... =p Then again I also tend to mix my fav 80s and 90s songs up. Haha.

Anonymous said...

I'm a rocker so I love especially the slow rock songs from the eagles, journey, foreigner,dep leppard.

But the Rock of all Ages is JESUS CHRIST !!!

ROCK ON !!!

Stanley Wong said...

er ... is it uncool to admit that i loved the BeeGees and ABBA (not the heavenly one)?

Daughter Of Sarah said...

No itz not uncool I love them too!!! I just find it hard to sing some songs coz I dun "feel" the lyrics the same way I used to any more. =D But they are my Karaoke staples at family events and out with friends.

I love the Bee Gees - Mum used to sing them to me as lullabies. I love First of May, Massachussets, etc.

I was also totally into Mama Mia's music the other day in the cinema haha. ABBA (not the Daddy) writes really catchy tunes with touching lyrics. Tho' I found it hard explaining to Ian what a "super trooper" is haha.

And ya I do like the Eagles a lot as well... and Sting. Keke. Desperado was like THE song Ian and I used to sing together as friends (before we paktor-ed). And Girl From Yesterday is another song we love. Hell Freezes Over was a fantastic concert to watch - we have that on LD, DVD and CD haha. I love Sting's raspy vocals and my fav song from him is the very mushy "Fields of Gold".

And I also do listen to musicals and operas - so haha - that is prob more old fashion right?? The Mikado is one of my fav operas. =D

And I also love Teresa Teng haha...

Anonymous said...

Bro I uesd to sing alot of Bee Gees songs too in school.

Angie said...

Aye, all those titles are putting me on a nostalgic mode (again). "Those were the days?" ;p I think i'm a 'sentimentalist' growing up listening to too much Class 95. Yes Geri.. those titles u brought up are the songs my mom used to love & play and later became the songs i love & listens to too.

But now, i realise when i do listen to the radio, it's gold 90.5 that i'm tuned to and not class 95 anymore :p

Any Gold 90.5 fans here? hehe.. ;)