Friday, June 5, 2009

About Butterflies

Friday, 5th June 2009

In 1996, there was a song entitled Butterfly Kisses by gospel singer Bob Carlisle that won him a Dove Award (which is the Christian version of the Grammy Awards). The song was written by a dad to his daughter, about how he saw her growing up. The words of the song are very touching and never fails to bring tears to my eyes..



BUTTERFLY KISSES - BOB CARLISLE

There's two things I know for sure
She was sent here from heaven, and she's Daddy's little girl.
As I drop to my knees by her bed at night
She talks to Jesus and I close my eyes
And I thank God for all of the joy in my life, oh but most of all...

For butterfly kisses after bedtime prayer
Sticking little white flowers all up in her hair
Walk beside the pony Daddy, it's my first ride
I know the cake looks funny Daddy, but I sure tried
Oh with all that I've done wrong, I must of done something right
To deserve a hug every morning, and butterfly kisses at night.

Sweet sixteen today
She's looking like her Mama, a little more everyday.
One part woman, the other part girl
To perfume and makeup, from ribbons and curls.
Trying her wings out in a great big world, but I remember...

Butterfly kisses after bedtime prayer
Sticking little white flowers all up in her hair.
You know how much I love you Daddy, but if you don't mind
I'm only gonna kiss you on the cheek this time.
With all that I've done wrong, I must of done something right
To deserve her love every morning, and butterfly kisses at night.

All the precious time, oh, like the wind the years go by.
Precious butterfly, spread your wings and fly.

She'll change her name today, she'll make a promise, and I'll give her away.
Standing in the bridegroom just staring at her
She asks me what I'm thinking, and I said I'm not sure.
I just feel like I'm losing my baby girl, and she leaned over...

Gave me butterfly kisses with her Mama there
Sticking little white flowers all up in her hair.
Walk me down the aisle Daddy, it's just about time.
Does my wedding gown look pretty Daddy? Daddy, don't cry.
Oh, with all that I've done wrong, I must of done something right.

To deserve her love every morning, and butterfly kisses,
I couldn't ask God for more, than this is what love is.
I know I gotta let her go, but I'll always remember...
Every hug in the morning, and butterfly kisses.



Well, 13 years on (which is how old my daughter is, by the way), another equally-touching song about fathers, daughters and butterflies has emerged. This time, the reverse holds true in that it is written by a daughter to her dad :-)

Teenage sensation Miley Cyrus and her real-life dad Billy-Ray Cyrus (those from my generation would remember his one and only 1992 hit "Achy Breaky Heart") both star in the Disney Channel comedy series called Hannah Montana.

A movie, simply entitled "Hannah Montana: The Movie" has just been released, and my daughter and I went to watch it when it premiered in Singapore yesterday.

The movie features this song, which is entitled "Butterfly Fly Away". The scene shows Miley having a conversation with her dad, and he asks her, "What's the song about?" to which she replies, "You. Me. Us." She then begins playing her guitar and singing it to her dad, after which her dad joins her in the chorus.



BUTTERFLY FLY AWAY - MILEY AND BILLY-RAY CYRUS

Miley Cyrus:
You tucked me in turned out the light
Kept me safe and sound at night
Little girls depend on things like that
Brushed my teeth and combed my hair
Had to drive me everywhere
You were always there when I looked back

You had to do it all alone
Make a living, make a home
Must have been as hard as it could be
And when I couldn't sleep at night
Scared things wouldn't turn out right
You would hold my hand and sing to me

Duet : Miley Cyrus and Billy Ray Cyrus
Caterpillar in the tree
How you wonder who you'd be
Can't go far but you can always dream
Wish you may and wish you might
Don't you worry, hold on tight
I promise you there will come a day
Butterfly fly away

Butterfly fly away (Butterfly fly away)
Spread your wings now you can't stay
Take those dreams and make them all come true

Butterfly butterfly butterfly butterfly
Butterfly fly away

By the way, there were also many other dads/moms who brought their daughters to the movie as well. So, if you have a daughter between the ages of 6 and 16, may I recommend that you watch the movie with her. It is a great time for parent-daughter bonding.

Oh ya, and don't forget your packet of tissues to be used when "Butterfly Fly Away" comes on...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing. It really reminded me how much my father loves me. And it's JIT for the month of June - Happy Fathers' Day to you.
God Bless

pearly said...

My kids and I watched the movie yesterday. And yes, there were a few tears shed. :)