Friday, 28th August 2009
Those of you out there who consider yourselves to be practicing Methodists, please do not read on lest this stumbles you...
I have a serious confession to make. I visit the Singapore Pools outlet every now and then to place a wager on Aston Villa, my favourite soccer team. Once in a while, I do also buy 4D and Toto (I bought 7557 when I got my new X5 last December and also bought the $288 Prosperity Pack during the recent Lunar New Year).
I do not want to be a hypocrite about this, pretending to be a goody-two-shoes on the surface. But before anyone out there casts the first stone, I suggest you standby a few hundred more because I know of many fellow Methodist church-going people who either visit such outlets on the sly, or get their friends and relatives to buy on their behalf.

Anyway, four days ago, I happened to pass by the outlet that is located near my office and was prompted to step in to see what the odds for the game between Liverpool and Aston Villa was. After all, Villa had lost their first game 2-0 at home to Wigan, while Liverpool had just thrashed Stoke 4-0. This same fixture between the two sides last season ended with Villa being thrashed 5-0.
Well, as it turned out, the odds for a Villa win was at a fantastic 9.80! In other words, for every $1 wagered, a return of $9.80 would take place if Villa beat Liverpool. Since the payout was so good, I decided that just for the fun of it, I would place a bet of $10 and even uploaded a photo of the betting slip onto Facebook. I have a number of Facebook friends from my home church, so I wonder if that photo ruffled any feathers among them...

Well, guess what? Villa won the game 3-1! This only goes to show that all things are possible to him who believes :-)
And this brings me to the title of today's blog entry. Would I be considered a heretic if I had said that God had prompted me to step into the outlet to check out the odds? Or was I hearing the voice of the evil one?
The very next day after the above incident, I was driving my wife to work and listening to a CD on Healing and Financial Breakthroughs. We heard this awesome testimony about a guy who was in dire straits financially and even lost his job in the recent downturn. It would have taken him 2 years to clear his debts. He went to see his pastor for prayer, to which his pastor snapped his fingers and told him that God's timing was better than man's. Just 24 hours later, God not only miraculously cancelled his debt overnight, but provided him so much more that even after settling those debts, he had the means to renovate his house and go to Japan for a holiday! The testimony did not specifically mention that he had struck Toto or 4D, but what was obvious was that the windfall he got was an instantaneous and substantial one. Question: Was this supernatural cancellation of debt from God or from the devil?
On a similar note, a fellow church member also shared with me that he was given 6 numbers in a dream, but because of his Methodist upbringing, he dismissed it as not from the Lord. That same week, those very 6 numbers were drawn in that very week's Toto! Question: Was the vision given by God or by the devil?
Which brings me back to what I blogged about in March 2009 about provisions and channels. If we ask God to prosper us, do we also dictate the way He is to do so because of our religious upbringing? Elijah lived during the Mosaic covenant and was taught that ravens were unclean animals. If he had allowed legalistic thoughts about the channel being contaminated to clought his mind, he would have missed out on God's provision for him.
What are your thoughts on this? Please comment...
Those of you out there who consider yourselves to be practicing Methodists, please do not read on lest this stumbles you...
I have a serious confession to make. I visit the Singapore Pools outlet every now and then to place a wager on Aston Villa, my favourite soccer team. Once in a while, I do also buy 4D and Toto (I bought 7557 when I got my new X5 last December and also bought the $288 Prosperity Pack during the recent Lunar New Year).
I do not want to be a hypocrite about this, pretending to be a goody-two-shoes on the surface. But before anyone out there casts the first stone, I suggest you standby a few hundred more because I know of many fellow Methodist church-going people who either visit such outlets on the sly, or get their friends and relatives to buy on their behalf.

Anyway, four days ago, I happened to pass by the outlet that is located near my office and was prompted to step in to see what the odds for the game between Liverpool and Aston Villa was. After all, Villa had lost their first game 2-0 at home to Wigan, while Liverpool had just thrashed Stoke 4-0. This same fixture between the two sides last season ended with Villa being thrashed 5-0.
Well, as it turned out, the odds for a Villa win was at a fantastic 9.80! In other words, for every $1 wagered, a return of $9.80 would take place if Villa beat Liverpool. Since the payout was so good, I decided that just for the fun of it, I would place a bet of $10 and even uploaded a photo of the betting slip onto Facebook. I have a number of Facebook friends from my home church, so I wonder if that photo ruffled any feathers among them...

Well, guess what? Villa won the game 3-1! This only goes to show that all things are possible to him who believes :-)
And this brings me to the title of today's blog entry. Would I be considered a heretic if I had said that God had prompted me to step into the outlet to check out the odds? Or was I hearing the voice of the evil one?
The very next day after the above incident, I was driving my wife to work and listening to a CD on Healing and Financial Breakthroughs. We heard this awesome testimony about a guy who was in dire straits financially and even lost his job in the recent downturn. It would have taken him 2 years to clear his debts. He went to see his pastor for prayer, to which his pastor snapped his fingers and told him that God's timing was better than man's. Just 24 hours later, God not only miraculously cancelled his debt overnight, but provided him so much more that even after settling those debts, he had the means to renovate his house and go to Japan for a holiday! The testimony did not specifically mention that he had struck Toto or 4D, but what was obvious was that the windfall he got was an instantaneous and substantial one. Question: Was this supernatural cancellation of debt from God or from the devil?
On a similar note, a fellow church member also shared with me that he was given 6 numbers in a dream, but because of his Methodist upbringing, he dismissed it as not from the Lord. That same week, those very 6 numbers were drawn in that very week's Toto! Question: Was the vision given by God or by the devil?
Which brings me back to what I blogged about in March 2009 about provisions and channels. If we ask God to prosper us, do we also dictate the way He is to do so because of our religious upbringing? Elijah lived during the Mosaic covenant and was taught that ravens were unclean animals. If he had allowed legalistic thoughts about the channel being contaminated to clought his mind, he would have missed out on God's provision for him.
What are your thoughts on this? Please comment...
9 comments:
I believe God can provide through any means. Luke 6:38 (KJV) says "Give, and it shall be given unto you; good measure, pressed down, and shaken together, and running over, shall men give into your bosom. For with the same measure that ye mete withal it shall be measured to you again. [emphasis in bold mine]
Notice that the verse says "men" give into your bosom, not God himself; which implies God does give us through the worldly system.
In the OT, 1 Kings 17:2-4 shows God ordering Elijah to hide in the Kerith Ravine and in v4, God said "You will drink from the brook, and I have ordered the ravens to feed you there." [emphasis in bold mine]
God used ravens, which are unclean birds under the Law, to feed Elijah. God could have used clean birds like doves instead of ravens but who are we to limit God in His ways?
The key is that Elijah heard God, and we need to be sure that we also have heard God. It takes practice to recognize the still, soft voice of the Holy Spirit.
Even if we think it's not from Him, will it stop you from thinking it's from Him?
I'm sure He has spoken to you in more ways...why do u need men's comments?
SP
Bro,
I once had a talk with a pastor who was very against a lady who won a lottery and cleared her huge debt.
He was more concerned about her "gambling" but I told him that I was happy that her debt was cleared and she was out of her financial crisis and misery.
I wasn't advocating gambling and I don't really know her motives but one thing I know.Once she was boke but now she's not !
Bro
Next time please hear God when AV plays MU, and not when AV play Liverpool ok?
Issue with many believers are, they tend box God up, limiting God in many ways.
Shalom Shalom
William
My thoughts are, Liverpool used up their 2 game losses. Now, they'll go on a 35 game winning streak and win the title. :D
Hi Mal,
Is there any difference when we dabble in the share market? To me both are gambling. But yet the religious circle will not raise their eyebrows if you strike in the share markets but tsk..tsk.. when somebody wins the lottery.
I consume non-kosher food (Bak kut teh) and drinks wine & beer once in a while, but if in my company there are brothers that may stumble because of that then I will refrain from it. So it is the same with playing the numbers or putting a wager here and there,just for the fun of of it. No condemnation brother!!!
Hello Bro, why do we care about anybody's thoughts and comments. After all, we are no more under any laws including God's laws.
Besides, whatever we do, there is now no more condemnation.
Anon
Let your YES be YES and NO be NO, anything in between is from the devil.
William
"My thoughts are, Liverpool used up their 2 game losses. Now, they'll go on a 35 game winning streak and win the title. :D
"
I agree with you Silk, power of agreement, Amen 8-P
Shalom Shalom
William
Post a Comment