I used to serve in the LCEC of my church as its Honorary Treasurer. I recall during one such LCEC meeting whereby a senior church leader highlighted to us that Methodists are not allowed get any source of funding from the Tote Board, hence we need alternative sources of funding, one of which is the bienniel Methodist Walk, which I blogged about yesterday.
Our founder, John Wesley was totally against any forms of drinking or gambling, and his followers were to abstain from such vices absolutely.
The reason why Wesley was so adamant was because his ministry was to the coalminers of his day. These were the blue-collar workers, as it were, who after a hard day's work, would go to the nearby pub for drinks and to throw dice and oftentimes would emerge from it drunk and broke. In order to help them break out of these strongholds, rather than tell them that a glass or two was sufficient or wagering a pound or two was sufficient, the best treatment was to tell them to go "cold turkey".
Hence, a good Methodist who is true to the teachings of John Wesley is not supposed to even touch a single drop of beer, or take part in any lucky draw. Although we Methodists do not talk about such topics (because they are considered taboo), I will not be surprised if in any given pew of any service, more than half has either drank a glass of beer or bought a lottery ticket in the last 3 months, or both.
I recall an occasion back in 2006 when a member of my then-cell actually said during a cell meeting that he had bought 4D based on the birthday of the youth pastor's youngest son! He was a new-born believer, so he did not realise what he said was better left unsaid. After being counseled by the cell and cluster leader, he now knows better than to even talk about it; he just buys it on the sly :-D
But what then is a Christian's stand on this? I mentioned that while Methodist schools cannot get funding from the Tote Board (because the Board gets its funds from gaming and lottery activities), Catholic schools seem to have no issue with this.
I recently had a discussion with a fellow brother-in-Christ on the topic of gambling. He referred me to a passage in 1 Kgs 17 whereby there was a famine in the land of Israel, and God told Elijah to go to Cherith where he was to drink from the brook and ravens would bring him food and meat in the mornings and evenings.Now, Lev 11 records for us what God considered to be clean and unclean animals. In verse 13, the raven is mentioned as an unclean bird. So the question that my fellow brother posed to me was this... why did God choose ravens to feed Elijah, rather than clean birds such as doves or pigeons?
The provision came from God, but the channel that God used to supply that provision seems to be a strange one.
Elijah could have had 2 responses to the situation...
The first response was for him to tell the Lord, "God, I don't understand why you are using an unclean channel to feed me, but I will not question your methods. Thank you Lord for providing for me."
The second would be, "Lord, I want to honour you in this situation. I will not accept anything that comes through an unclean channel. So if I have to starve to death, I will do so."
He chose the first.
Fast forward to today. I know Christians who stand on all parts of the spectrum where gambling is concerned. On the one end would be those who will not even take part in a lucky draw because of the element of chance involved. On the other end are those who feel God is sovereign and can choose any channel He sees fit to bless His children. Some have even shared testimonies about how God prompted them as they were walking past a betting outlet and even gave them the 4 numbers! They even tithed on their winnings!!
Readers, do let me know what your view and stand on this is. You can choose to use a pseudonym if you are a Methodist; that is perfectly understandable :-)
As for me personally, I believe it is totally between you and God.
If you feel convicted on total abstinence, then honour God with that, but do not condemn others who are not. On the other hand, if you do not feel any conviction on this, then again it is between you and God. But do not over-indulge or talk about it so freely and openly such that it causes other brothers and sisters in the Body to be stumbled.

3 comments:
VIEWS ON HARDCORE/ NON-HARDCORE GAMBLING:
I must state strongly, before I continue, that I do not condone gambling, drinking or smoking if it is on a regular, addictive, hardcore user-abuser basis.
If it's a once in a while buy-4D-for-fun thing, or for eg. playing poker as a harmless CNY get together activity, I guess that sort of "gambling" is harmless to me.
But having said that, discernment is the order of the day. It could be fun for me and pose no threat, but it could be a potential start to a long, difficult addiction.
If we start seeing that the harmless activities are causing a stronghold in our lives, we need to learn to repent (not saying merely sorry God; what I mean is a change of our hearts) in that area and step away from it. If it is a source of problem for one, one should not even come near it again. This does not pertain to just gambling, but even to exercising and dieting. I know of people so obsessed about their weight, they look like skeletons. It is frightening and they don't realise that they are pushing themeslves too hard. Even the Physical Trainer tells them they can't run on the treadmill and diet the way they do coz they are burning away their muscles. BUT they look at the mirror, see a deceptive image of a fat girl, and it's one-ear-in-one-ear-out. =pp
Personally, I buy 4D when my Dad buys during Kae's birthday and asks if I wanna "piggyback" on his bet. It's just for the fun of it. But we don't, at least I know I don't, have the thirst to buy more 4D or to buy it regularly. I could not say the same for my dearest late Maternal Grandma though. She was a real hardcore 4D buyer but even then, she knew when to buy and when to stay her hand- never getting into debts of any sort. Just buying every 2 days of the week though and spending a significant part of the allowance her kids gave her. She figured she wasn't gonna take it to the grave with her anyways.
I think Wesley was doing precisely what parents do with their kids - helping to discipline the blue collared workers in areas where they lacked self-discipline. I see this principle reflected in my family life - When Kae told me he had no time to do something important, and I noticed that he had time for Wii but not for that important thing he had not done, I took away all the Wii games and put them where he can't reach them. I am not saying that Wii is evil through my means of disciplining him, but that well, if it becomes an addiction or becomes too precious and displaces our responsibilities and values, then we must learn to put it aside. I am letting him slowly start playing again, but I control what games and when he can play. For his part, he respects me and knows when I say 20 minutes on thte Wii, I mean 20 minutes.
VIEWS ON THE TOTE BOARD
My feeling about support from the Tote Board is summed up in one sentence - We have the authority bind the strongman and rob his kingdom.
If the money from the Tote board is going into bringing about good in people's lives and taking them away from the very source of these funds through a sound education, I don't see why not?
It's not like we are going to think - "Oh we must support Singapore Pools more so that they can pump more $$ into our kids' schools!"- just coz they donate money to them. Honestly, does any one in his sane mind buy Toto or 4D because Sg Pools supports their kid's school? I don't they even use that to justify their habit. Lol. They buy coz they want to buy either for the fun of it, or out of a compulsive problem.
Whilst I agree that the end does not justify the means some of the the time, in this case, if the money is used for propogating good values rather than harmful addictions why not?
I'd rather the Tote Board give generously to schools & charitable organisations, than pump their funds into more lucky draws, more scratch and win cards to sell, more vices to promote, more shopping centres, more sms this number to win a prize gimmicks, etc etc.
CONCLUDING THOUGHTS:
Money is not evil, it is a tool altho' it is the root of all evil. If we uproot money from evil where it is but a weed that chokes, and instead plant it in good soil for good fruits and good harvest- I say, why not?? =D
You know certain plants, eg some creepers, kill when they are parasite plants, but when planted and cultivate alone they can be beautiful and contribute to a healthier environment through the act of photosynthesis.
Similarly, we can either allow the money to steal, kill and destroy, OR we can let it work for the light instead and allow it be a blessing for someone who needs the financing.
By doing that we turn it from a stumbling block, into a stepping stone.
DISCLAIMER:
In no way am I saying that SG Pools is the provider. ONLY GOD IS OUR PROVIDER! ONLY JESUS IS OUR TRUE PROVISION! But the Tote Board is the means or channel (as mentioned in your blog) to bless God's children if He wills it so.
I suppose it's the same issue as whether Christians are allowed to offer joss sticks to our deceased relatives. Some say yes, some say no.
As a young believer I struggled for years with this issue. My thoughts were, "I'm a Christian, how can I do this?". And at that time I didn't understand who God is very well. I thought that, I'm Christian, so I don't do this. (Legalistic Mindset) On one side I thought that God would be more pleased if I didn't touch those joss sticks. On the other hand, my mum and I would fall out if I do not offer it. But I chose not to do it because I want to honour God.
So I was confused.
But as I grew to know God more, I realised that, why I am finally willing to hold joss sticks is because, I want to honour my mum. I see it as a ritual that they do to commemorate the deceased. And because she's my mum, I respect it. And I had realised that, nothing, not even rituals like that would have any effect on my relationship with God.
This is just an example. The New Covenant way, is to walk in love. [Rom 14:14-18]
The kingdom of God is not eating and driking, but rightrousness and peace and joy in the Holy Spirit. For he who serves Christ in these things is acceptable to God and approved by men.
It's no longer about what we do or not do. It's about faith and believing in God. Seeking righteousness, peace and joy.
[Romans 14:22-23]
v22 - Do you have faith? Have it to yourself before God. Happy is he who does not condemn himself in what he approves.
Have that faith to ourselves before God.
[Romans 14:12]
So then each of us shall give account of himself to God.
v23 - But he who doubts is condemned if he eats, because he does not eat from faith; for whatever is not from faith is sin.
Whatever is not from faith is sin. Therefore, the conclusion here is, MYOB. [Romans 14:5-6]
One person esteems one day above another; another esteems every day alike. Let each be fully convinced in his own mind. He who observes the day, observes it to the Lord; and he who does not observe the day, to the Lord he does not observe it. He who eats, eats to the Lord, for he gives God thanks; and he who does not eat, to the Lord he does not eat, and gives God thanks.
It's really a matter not worth disputing. Each is accountable of himself to God. However, decisions come clear with the revelation of Jesus, knowing who He really is. It's not about who said what. It's about what the bible says and what Jesus says.
Seek peace always.
Interesting to open up discussion on this. I draw a distinction between lucky draw and gambling(any form). Usually a lucky draw involves a purchase, is used by businesses to draw new clients (eg new credit card members stand to win a car), or some other kind of promotion. That is, lucky draws are used to encourage consumption (usually) of certain things we need or intend to buy. If there is a lucky draw coupon say, for each SGD30 purchase at NTUC, this would encourage to plan my purchases so that I buy what I need and qualify for the draw; or buy a small item to make up the number. I don't buy items or sign up for (whatever) just to take part in lucky draws. I think most rational people will behave this way.
When it comes to gambling, there's a need to segregate further because there are pure luck games like 4D / Toto and there are skills based/dependent gambling, like sports, card games, mahjong (the Mathematical branch of Probability arose because Pascal was an avid gambler!!!).
Pure luck gambling, in my opinion, is totally out because it purely feeds human sin to get rich/provide for oneself WITHOUT labour/working. In Genesis, it is clearly stated that God designed Man to work and to eat from the fruits of his toil. Though we are not farmers today, we earn our living from working as engineers, accountants and so on. In pure luck gambling, players pay for the opportunity to strike the jackpot payout, nothing more. I very much doubt God will be glorified through such gambling wins, or tithing of gambling wins. Also, from we know of God’s nature through the Bible, I don’t think God will choose this manner of provision as it goes against His nature and design. (It is important to note that God did not tell Elijah to eat (unclean) ravens but that ravens will bring food to him. Since we do not know whether the food brought by ravens is clean or not, I shall not speculate on it).
Then there are the skills based gambling, like card games, sports so on. Even for this category, the same elements of winning big without effort and waging of money are involved. So despite the skills involved (card counting, use of probability to calculate winning chances etc), I think this is still a sin. By the way, though casinos employ heavily probability and statistics, they do NOT allow any players to count cards using visible techniques or collaboration between different players at a game. Card counters have to develop other ways of keeping track of what cards have been dealt. The employment of probability skills in these games serves to further satiate greed.
At this point, I want to mention investments because some people have likened it to gambling. I want to point out that investments serve a very different purpose from gambling. Investing involves putting money in a company which has a great idea/service/product but insufficient money to realize the potential. In other words, only companies which are short of money need investors’ money and whether they raised it via private or public ownership is a matter of preference and statutory requirements. True it is possible to treat investing like gambling but this does not make investments equal to gambling; it only reflects the mindset of the investor.
With that I also introduced a new element of an individual’s mentality. Indeed it is possible to gamble on anything, like which worship songs will be sung next Sunday? It is also important therefore, when one is investing for example, to examine one’s motives for investing.
In conclusion to my argument on gambling, I proffer the following check-points to check against oneself when it comes to “discerning” gambling:
1. Is there a heavy element of luck involved in winning?
2. Is money waged?
3. Are you treating it like a game of luck (mentality)?
4. Does it require zero, or close to zero, effort?
5. Is the generation of useful product/service ABSENT when putting up money?
If the answer is “Yes” to all check-points above, then it is almost certain that it is gambling. If the answer is less than all “Yes”, then it needs to be examine further whether it is gambling or not. Gambling covers such a multitude of possibilities that I am unable to provide an easily applicable fail-proof check-point method for all forms of gambling. If I play mahjong with no money involved, it becomes a game of mental strategy but if money is involved (as is common), then it becomes gambling.
Yes, discerning gambling can be gray but not to the point where there are absolutely no objective standards to adhere to.
To change to another topic which utilizes discernment, I would like to share why I gave up reading car magazines years ago. It is common for males to get excited over cars. In fact, most males do and they would indulge in reading car magazines in order to gain more knowledge. I gave up the magazines because I found that reading them makes me desire owning a car to the point of covetousness and this I know will lead to idolatry. Hence I stopped reading car magazines.
On the issue of devout/“pure” Methodists abstaining from alcohol totally, we must make a difference between what is practiced in the face of circumstances and what is Biblically accepted. John Wesley did not use wine because (according to a past issue of Methodist Times I read) he did not want alcoholics to come to church for a free drink. It is also important to note that John Wesley did not just substitute wine with just any fruit juice but grape juice. Why? Because the wine in question is grape wine, and grape is the common factor in both grape wine and grape juice. This is important because today we know that wines can be make from other ingredients (like rice) besides grape. The wine mentioned in Jesus’ time refers to grape wine. The Bible itself did not say alcohol is bad, indeed Paul told Timothy to drink some wine for his stomach problems. The Bible also said “do not get DRUNK on wine, which leads to debauchery…”. Alcohol consumption, in and of itself, is not sinful. In Singapore church context, those of us who drink alcohol are seldom alcoholics, so Methodists are free to consume alcohol if they want to.
On receiving help from Tote boards, it is not useful to compare with Catholics because they adhere to vastly different theologies from Protestants (which generally refer to all non-Catholic Christian branches). I believe besides Methodists, other denominations similarly do not receive funding from Tote boards, for the reasons mentioned earlier (the check-points), the money from Tote boards come from sources which are morally reprehensible to Protestant churches. Applying the same principle, money from tobacco companies should also be refused since tobacco, we now know, leads to serious health problems; as is the same for money from drug traffickers, brothels, casinos etc.
Being financially supported by immoral sources is unconscionable.
Alvin Tan
Post a Comment