Friday, October 16, 2009

Bad Guys Go Good

Friday, 16th October 2009

One of the songs currently heard frequently on the airwaves is a tune entitled "Good Girls Go Bad" by Cobra Starship. The lyrics are not exactly edifying -- the singer proudly claims to be a bad influence that causes wholesome girls to go astray, viz

I know your type
You're daddy's little girl
Just take a bite
Let me shake up your world
'Cause just one night couldn't be so wrong
I'm gonna make you lose control

She was so shy
Till I drove her wild

I make them good girls go bad
I make them good girls go bad
You were hanging in the corner
With your five best friends
You heard that I was trouble
But you couldn't resist
I make them good girls go bad
I make them good girls go
Good girls go bad

I suppose one can claim that this sung tongue-in-cheek and not to take the words too seriously.

But if we were to apply the reverse, there is a truth therein which we can take very seriously --- and that is that He makes us bad guys go good. We who are born of Adam have inherited the sinful nature. The Bible tells us that "All of us are like sheep that have gone astray (Isa 53:6)" and that "all have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God (Rom 3:23)".

But because of Jesus and His precious shed blood on the cross, we are now considered to be righteous before God (Rom 5:19)

Indeed, He makes us bad guys go good. Amen?

No comments: