Sunday, 4th October 2009
Today I will blog on another man-made theology. How many of you have heard people saying, "There is a difference between a need and a want. God will supply your needs and not your wants."
It seems like material blessings can be divided into two distinct categories -- needs (which would refer to basic bare necessities in order to get by such as food and shelter) and wants (which are things that most people can probably do without).
But the truth of the matter is that such a distinction is hard to draw. Just like one man's meat is another man's poison, one person's needs may be another person's wants. For example, a person who works in sales may have to travel frequently. Is a car his need or his want? If we conclude that it is his need, then what type of car? A Japanese car or a continental one?
As a result of this, many of us Christians are afraid to ask God for things. By doing so, we do not realise that we are limiting God because Scripture tells us that "it will be unto us according to our faith." If our level of faith is to believe God to provide us only with the bare minimum, then God will respect our free will and not force His blessings upon us.
Take myself for example. I used to drive a Mitsubishi Lancer. There were occasions when my family will go out with my parents or my parents-in-law and I recall my kids lamenting that it was very squeezy to have 4 persons crammed behind. Thus I upgraded to a Mitsubishi Grandis in January 2007. Frankly speaking, I needed a family car and a Grandis was sufficient.
But when I watched the Benjamin Generation DVD sometime in November 2008 and heard Ps Prince share about "beholding my wagon", the Holy Spirit ministered to me and tears just flowed freely down my face. Then I recall the Lord's prompting inside me saying "Son, your turn is next."
Truth be told, I felt guilty and ashamed when I initially heard that (and even wondered whether it was really God speaking or my own fleshly desire). Even now, I still consider a BMW to be a want rather than a need. Yet, somehow the way circumstances unfolded between then and December 2008 was His way of confirming to me that He wanted to bless me with one.
First and foremost, as a result of sowing bountifully into One-North in August 2008, God caused me to reap bountifully. I received amazing news sometime in October 2008 that allows me to tithe up to three times more than I previously used to.
Secondly, the price of COEs had started to drop month after month to levels never seen before. I recall receiving an email from an ex-cell member about the COEs for small cars falling to $2. When I got my car in December 2008, the COE for big cars was less than $5k. [Since then, they have now climbed back up and have now exceeded $20k. I know that in and of myself, I am unable to predict such movements to make such a timely purchase.]
Thirdly, through a friend of a church friend, I was introduced to a BMW sales consultant who was neither the airhead nor the snobbish sort. Even my wife found her to be very down -to-earth and extremely pleasant.
Fourthly, through an ex-colleague who was an MBA classmate of the GM of Performance Motors, I was given a "corporate rate" and got the X5 for the price of an X3.
And fifthly, the car that I was given to test drive had the licence plate with the number 555 in it.
All these were progressive indications that confirmed to me that Daddy God wanted to give me the BMW for my 41st birthday. He wanted to satisfy my wants, not just my needs.
You can read about my Blessed Most Wonderful (BMW) experience below:
A Blessed Most Wonderful Experience (Part 1)
A Blessed Most Wonderful Experience (Part 2)
I am also reminded of how Jesus beckoned Peter to walk towards Him on the water. Peter did not *need* to walk on the water. He clearly *wanted* to. Yet God did not rebuke Him for satisfying his want.
So dear friends, do not restrict or limit God by asking Him to satisfy only your needs. Ask Him to satisfy your wants as well! Ps 23:1 says that the Lord is our Shepherd, we shall not be in want (and not in need). Rom 8:32 tells us that since He did not spare His own Son, how will He not also give us all things (and all things would include both our needs and our wants). And Eph 3:20 tells us that God is able to do exceedingly abundantly over and above what we ask or imagine. So go ahead, ask God and you shall receive. Amen?
4 comments:
Hey Malcolm,
The title of your article invoked an interesting thought in me. Jesus said his flesh is real food and his blood real drink, those who eat of him will not hunger and those who drink his blood will not thirst. Does that make our food and drinks wants instead of needs now?
As parents we grant our children not only their "needs" but also their "wants".
i got a relative who keeps saying that Japanese cars give double the mileage, half the gas... so i'll pass on the continentals.. haha...
As parents should know WHEN and WHAT to grant our chidren in due time. Does Daddy God acts like us?
HE grant us our request not because of our(your) sowing into.. but according to our(your) faith..
Post a Comment