Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Highly-Recommended Books

Wednesday, 31st January 2007

Those who know me will realise that I prefer to listen to Christian messages or songs, or watch Christian-themed movies. Recently, however, God has started to impress upon me that I should not preclude Him speaking to me through Christian books.

As I sit here looking through these books, I realise that they cover such a wide range of topics and their contents are so diversified, which goes to show that God has an answer to every aspect of our life.

SPIRITUAL WARFARE

Some time last year, RevBarnz recommended a book by C S Lewis entitled The Screwtape Letters. He explained that this book contains supposed correspondences between a senior demon (called Screwtape) and his nephew Wormwood on how to go about secuing the damnation of an ordinary young man. It brings us, as it were, behind enemy lines to get an inside insight into the wiles of the evil one and his fallen angels. The plot sounded so interesting, that I had to get a copy (which I did today from SKS Bookstore at S$19). It is a paperback of 209 pages.




PRAYING IN THE SPIRIT

Then just last week, I was listening to a sermon by Pastor Prince as to how praying in the spirit enables us to have dunamis power. In that sermon, he recommended a book by Jackie Pullinger entitled Chasing The Dragon. This book tells of how an English missionary was called by God to be located in Hongkong. She had to struggled against the darkness of Hong Kong's drug dens, but was able to to overcome the odds when she started praying in the spirit. Triad gangsters were converted, prostitutes quit, and Jackie herself discovered a new treatment for drug addiction: the baptism of the Holy Spirit. It is a paperback of 254 pages and I got it from SKS Bookstore at S$20.50.

PROSPERITY

Just 2 days ago, I was having lunch with Rev Wee Boon Hup, TRAC President. Having shared with him my recent experiences regarding financial breakthroughs, he recommended me a book called The Midas Touch by Kenneth E. Hagin. This book provides a balanced approach to biblical prosperity, and I managed to get it from Tecman at S$31. It is a hard cover book of 234 pages thick.





HEBREW AND GREEK

Besides the above, I also recently bought 2 books from Life BookShop at S$44.90 each, by John H. Dobson - one entitled Learn Biblical Hebrew and the other entitled Learn New Testament Greek. The former is a hardcover book of 391 pages while the latter is a hardcover book of 383 pages. Both come with an audio CD each, where Hebrew and Greek words are read aloud so that we know how they are pronounced. The interest came about after listening to a series on the Hebrew language by Pastor Prince; but I decided to get the one on Greek as well to make it complete :-)


I have started to read some of them already, and pray that God will grant me the discipline to finish reading them by the end of February. After which, I will post the lessons learnt, and make them available should anyone of you like to borrow them.

Blessings

No comments: