Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Out of the Box Evangelism

Wednesday, 30th May 2007


Recently, you must have seen advertisements either on television or in the newspapers about the launch of 2 new soft drinks: the carbonated is one called Anything, while the non-carbonated one is called Whatever.

Anything comes in six flavours: cola, cola with lemon, apple, fizz up, cloudy lemon and root beer.
Whatever also comes in six flavours: ice lemon tea, peach tea, jasmine green tea, white grape tea, apple tea and chrysanthemum tea.

What makes the drinks so unique is that the actual flavour is not indicated on the can. So when you buy a can, it is like participating in a lucky draw.

The strategy adopted is indeed very unique and novel, and it therefore no wonder that the company that produces these can drinks is called Out of the Box.

The advertising campaign drew the curiosity of many -- including yours truly, and that's why I ended up buying a can of each yesterday evening.

"Thinking out of the box" is something that our Singapore government has encouraged her citizens to do, and even some churches are adopted novel ways of evangelism.

For example, FCBC's Lawrence Khong uses magic to bring out biblical truths and as a result, is able to reach people who would have otherwise been drawn to the occult.

The genre of comtemporary Christian music ("CCM") has gone beyond just pop songs, and now include rap, reggae and heavy rock, so as to appeal to individuals who like those kind of music.

The apostle Paul said in 1 Cor 9:20-22
20To the Jews I became like a Jew, to win the Jews. To those under the law I became like one under the law (though I myself am not under the law), so as to win those under the law. 21To those not having the law I became like one not having the law (though I am not free from God's law but am under Christ's law), so as to win those not having the law. 22To the weak I became weak, to win the weak. I have become all things to all men so that by all possible means I might save some.

Our main role while we are here on earth is to win people over for Christ.

We can draw a spiritual lesson from what we see happening out there in the world in terms of thinking out of the box.

Let us ask God for wisdom on how be effective fishers of men, and draw them to Christ, the way the beverage company managed to draw consumers over to buy their product.

No comments: