Friday, September 19, 2008

Wouldn't It Be Good? Wishful Thinking

Saturday, 20th September 2008

Last week, I was just blogging about how God has prospered my career and how I have settled into my current workplace.

I have also begun to discover other colleagues who attend that "heretic" church, which I suppose should not come as a surprise since some 20,000 people congregate at Suntec every week.

I was talking to one such colleague recently, who commented on the transformation that has taken place in my department. I shared with her how I had come into the office early the morning after listening to that sermon on the anointing oil to say a prayer for each of my subordinates as I anointed their chair, pleaded the blood of Jesus for those who have yet to know Him and also invited the Holy Spirit to do His miraculous work in my department.

She could also tell that I enjoy coming to work each day.

But I told her that I would gladly give it all up at the drop of a hat to take up another job, even if it meant taking a 80% haircut. Her first guess was "To be a pastor?"

I chuckled at the irony of her remark, given what had happened in my own church over the past 1 1/2 years or so.

But I told her that what I would really love to do is to work in that "heretic" church. For example, the staff at the Rock Bookstore are always so warm and full of the joy of the Lord. When I first embarked on my JPM sermon collection, I went to the office at Noel Building to collect some of the stuff I ordered and again, I could sense the presence of the Holy Spirit in there.

No wonder the Psalmist said, "Better is one day in your courts than a thousand elsewhere."

Wouldn't it be good to work in a place where everyone around you speaks the same language of grace and believes in Jesus and His finished work? Wouldn't it be good to be able to get Ps Prince's sermons at a staff discount? Wouldn't it be good to be part of a ministry where the unadulterated Word of God is being proclaimed not only to tens of thousands in Singapore, but hundreds of milliions worldwide?

But hey, enough of that wishful thinking for now. I am called to be in the marketplace at this stage of my life, and to impact those that God has placed around me. So until the time God calls me out from here, I shall continue to work unto Him where He has place me. Amen?

P. S. Wouldn't It Be Good is the name of a song made popular in the 1980s by Nik Kershaw, while Wishful Thinking is the name of a song made popular in the 1980s by China Crisis.

5 comments:

Angie said...

Brother Mal, i truly believe that if God place that desire in your heart, He would lead you to it. ;) Yes, for now, be a blessing to those ard you and share testimonies of lives impacted like you always do. I believe like me, many others are looking forward to see God unfolds His plans in your life.

Blessed weekend ahead. You & your household! :D

Malcolm Loh said...

Thank you for your kind words, Angie.

As to our cyber-cell, will arrange one soon :-)

Daughter Of Sarah said...

I share that similar desire to serve Him in His Courts than elsewhere =) I tried applying for a writing position there - I'd rather write about His grace, love and tender mercies than corporate videos or secular videos anytime. =D I beleive as we ask, we shall receive in His Time- AMEN! =D Just waiting for Him to position me as He wills it, not as I will it. =)

SHALOM for the week ahead!

bao said...

i dont mean to be a kuku but you mean 80% paycut right?
hehe

Malcolm Loh said...

yep, haircut is a euphemism for paycut :-)