Saturday, October 10, 2009

The Truth You May Never Hear In Church

Friday, 9th October 2009

I recall having lunch with one of my pastors in January 2007 when he found out I was heavily into Ps Joseph Prince sermons. He advised me not to just listen to one set of teachings lest I start to idolise the messenger rather than the message.

I thank God for the words of wisdom that He gave this pastor because since then, I have also started listening to Peter Youngren of World Impact Ministries, Åge M. Åleskjær of Oslo Christian Center and Reuben Ng of Paya Lebar Methodist Church. These men of God never fail to put Jesus in the centre of their sermons and how much He has already accomplished for the New Covenant believer.

In these last days, God is raising an army of grace preachers who are strongly established on Mt Zion. Yet another that has emerged recently is Andrew Farley of Ecclesia. Andrew has written a book entitled "The Naked Gospel (The Truth You May Never Hear in Church)".

Here is a write-up on the book:

Product Description

Jesus plus nothing. 100% natural. No additives. It's the truth you may never hear in church. The Naked Gospel is a chapter-by-chapter assault on the churchy jargon and double talk of our day. It puts forth a message that is simple but life-changing. With a fresh take on Scripture and unapologetic style, The Naked Gospel will challenge you to re-examine everything you thought you already knew.

From the Back Cover

I found myself lying on the floor of my apartment, sobbing for hours on end: "God, I'm doing everything I'm supposed to do, and I still don't feel closer to you. In fact, I feel worse than ever! How could this have gone wrong? I can't see any way out. Help me."

As a university student, Andrew Farley found himself physically and emotionally addicted to street evangelism and Bible study. Yet despite his fervid behavior, he knew something was missing. That something was an understanding of the gospel that is stripped of the compromises and clichés of the modern church.

The Naked Gospel finds friends among those who are burned out on experience-chasing, ceremonialism, or legalism. It attacks churchy jargon and powerless ideas and puts forth a message that is simple but life-changing. With a fresh take on Scripture and unapologetic style, The Naked Gospel will challenge you and stir you to re-examine everything you thought you already knew.

The truth you may never hear in church can now be heard due to the wonders of modern technology such as the Internet. Hallelujah!

3 comments:

catcha said...

Thanks Mal for sharing this. Too many goodies on the internet and I just cannot catch up on the grace sermons available out there...

Stephanie said...

Hi Malcolm,

If one is to go church with the mentality of hearing on what Lord will speak to them, they would not idolize he speaker.

I mainly listen to Lord all these 3 years and the result is a good relationship with Lord, not idolise Pastor Prince.

Shalom

Malcolm Loh said...

Hi Steph

I'm sure you are not one of them, but I notice that the attendance drops whenever Ps Prince is not preaching. Those who absent themselves may be in danger of idolising the messenger rather than the message.