Thursday, January 15, 2026

The Adventures of Lobang King (Episode 3): DECALathon

Thursday, 15th January 2026

Today, we shall continue with Episode 3 of The Lobang King.

In case you missed the previous 2 episodes, you can access them here

The title "DECALathon" is a play on the word "decathlon".

"Decal" as in car decals, and "athon" as in a marathon.

Because the collection of car decals is a marathon, not a sprint.

Just like the collection of "XT" (Christian T-shirts), I have also been collecting "XD" (Christian decals) from as early as 2007.

You can read about that here:

https://rootss.blogspot.com/2007/02/decals-with-christian-messages-and.html

https://rootss.blogspot.com/2007/03/additions-to-xt-and-xd-collection.html

My earlier car decals were off-the-shelf ones that were produced in bulk.

Then sometime in mid-2020, I discovered on Carousell the existence of 2 separate suppliers, namely sharkfin.stickers and decalstickersupermart that do "customised" individual decals, without imposing any minimum order quantity requirements either.  They charge around $20-$25 per piece though, and understandably so because of the absence of economies of scale..

I ordered an Aston Villa, ACS and ACJC decal and have them proudly and permanently displayed on the windscreen of my car, viz:

Shortly thereafter in 2021, I discovered another supplier Myouki who could do 10cm X 10cm decals at reasonable prices of around $5 a piece, if one were to place a small minimal order quantity of say 3-5 pieces.

So I went to our church website to grab all the wallpaper images of the themes of the year that I could find (from 2014) and sent it along for production.

I had them displayed across the front windscreen on both the driver's and passenger's side of the BMW Gran Tourer I was driving then, until there was no more space left haha.

And then in January 2023, BKF David Tang introduced me to this other supplier! I found that the quality of her decals are second-to-none compared to the previous suppliers'.  The printed ink remains vivid even after months of exposure to the elements and the vinyl does not crumple or shrink.  I strongly-recommend this supplier, so do contact me if you need her details.

After changing to the Tesla Y in September 2022, my wife told me that I could only stick decals on the driver's side of the windscreen.

And so, I now only have the current year's decal displayed, in place of the previous year's.


Speaking of which, I have placed with the supplier an order of 75 pieces of "Much More" decals and expect to receive them by the end of this week.

15 pieces will be part of the annual giveaway, held in conjunction with Tough Questions Seekers Have ("TQSH") and GraceUnited.sg (GU).  So stay tuned for the announcement on how you can win yourself a decal, absolutely free!

No comments: