Friday, March 13, 2026

Holy Huddles

Friday, 13th March 2026

I was chatting with a dear brother of mine the other day about how my previous CGL had what she herself had termed as her "coveted" members. In Aug 2022, when Covid restrictions were lifted and our church encouraged CGs to meet in person again, she told me that she would still keep having Zoom-based meetings on alternate fortnights as she did not want to lose them.

She also had her "favourites", and the irony is that her facilitator (the one who whistleblew to MAS and the police on her) and I were among the numbered few.  During one conversation with her, she even asked whether she could nominate me to be a future CGL, but I politely declined, telling her I was very contented to just be an ordinary CG member.  I did not want any added responsibilities, and was afraid of being stumbled by any politicking further up the organisation, like what happened in the political party I was previously a member of.

My current CG is led by a wonderful godly couple, but I have also observed what some would consider the formation of a "holy huddle" of those who attend services at PLQ.  

My wife and I currently attend the 1st service at Star Vista (what we affectionately call HQ).  When we first changed church in 2018, we attended services at Golden Village, Great World City.  Then Covid hit so we pivoted to watching online.  When her dad went home to be with the Lord in August 2022, she told me that she would like to make it a point to visit her mom weekly.  Her mom stayed in Bukit Batok so we would typically visit her after attending service.  

When we first got married, we would visit her parents weekly.  After the kids came along, and as time went by, our visits became less frequent.  It was reduced to every other week, and then every month, and then to just once every quarter. 

Her mom moved to Siglap about 2 months ago, so I asked my wife whether we could join the "PLQ holy huddle", but she declined, so we remain HQ attendees.

In my last post, I blogged about an unpleasant encounter with this particular fellow CG member, which I refer to as VX.  Two fellow members have reached out to me and I really appreciate their good intentions.  But when I ask these same members whether they have similarly reached out to VX, for some reason, they avoid answering me directly and/or change the topic.

I have reproduced parts of our conversation, but have redacted their names to protect their privacy.

In Conversation with PLQ Holy Huddle Member #1
In Conversation with PLQ Holy Huddle Member #2

This is puzzling because VX was the one who provoked me and I retaliated. If anything, he was the perpetuator and I was the victim.  An objective person would see that both of us were at fault (him more so, I would add), but somehow they seem to place the entire blame squarely on me :-(

The only explanation I can think of is that VX is part of the "PLQ holy huddle", and it sadly reminds me of how the ruling party operates.  PSP representatives Leong Mun Wai and Hazel Poa went through many baptisms of fire, whereas their own representatives hardly got a rap on their knuckles for their fumbles.

This "us and them", "inner and outer circle" mentality is very unhealthy, and it troubles me to see it happening inside what I had until now considered to be the perfect CG.  Please do keep us in your prayers, that what is not of God, He will deal with.

Maybe Shaw Organisation will jack up the PLQ rent such that it becomes no longer feasible, or cease operations (just like what happened at Seletar Mall), so that everyone will return back to HQ :-)

No comments: