Tuesday, 3rd March 2026
Yesterday morning, in my enthusiasm to release my blog entry before making my way up to JB, I had made a claim about the word "disciple" not appearing in the epistles without first verifying it. Had this been shown to be otherwise, I would have lost whatever (little) was left of my credibility haha.
Today, after doing the morning devo, I was prompted by the Holy Spirit to do a Google AI search, and voila!
- A New Reality: The Epistles address a post-Pentecost, "in-Christ" reality where believers are joined to Him, making "student/teacher" language (disciple/rabbi) insufficient.
- Identity Shift: The focus moved from followers of a teacher to being members of Christ's body. The term "saint" (holy one) or "brother/sister" (adelphoi) better reflects this new, intimate relationship.
- "Disciple" as Foundational: The term "disciple" was mostly used in the Gospels and Acts to describe those following Jesus or the Apostles, a period when the church was being built on that foundation.
- Synonymous with Christian: In Acts, "disciple" was used interchangeably with "Christian." As the church grew, "Christian" became the more common, widespread identifier.
Yes, readers, I have verified this :-)
Ps Prince has preached a sermon explaining the above by contrasting Peter and John. Peter boasted about his love for Jesus, even claiming that, as recorded in Mt 26:33, "If all these others fail you, I will not". John, on the other, boasted about Jesus' love for him. In other words, Peter proclaimed his love for Jesus, John proclaimed Jesus' love for him. The former's focus was on himself, the latter's focus was on Jesus.
So what lessons can we draw from the above, keeping in mind that we are now "sons and daughters" rather than "disciples"?
We proclaim that we are a child whom Jesus loves :-)And fellow NewCreationers, we are so very blessed, because every single word of the lyrics of the following song entitled Whom Jesus Loves (hence the title of today's post) is from the very Holy of Holies.Note how the lyricist uses the word "child" in place of "disciple". Did he depart from Scripture? Not at all. He had rightly divided the word because John used that phrase containing that word in his gospel, but not once in his 3 epistles nor in the book of Revelations.
In 3 Jn 1:2, he said "Beloved, I pray you to prosper concerning all things and to be in good health, just as your soul prospers."
And the lyricist used that word "beloved" in the song too!
Embraced by God above
In mountains high and valleys deep
I lean upon, Your love for me
On Calvary, You took my sin
My soul, my life, set free
I am the righteousness of God
In Christ, I live forevermore
You love me to the end
You're with me in the fire
But You won't leave me there
Your miracles unfolding
And blessings undeserved
'Cause I am Your beloved
The child whom Jesus loves
Speaking of rightly dividing the word, I have lots and lots to share about that, so stay tuned!
No comments:
Post a Comment