Saturday, July 21, 2007

Divisions in Church History

Saturday, 21st July 2007

A couple of days ago, I received an email from a dear sister telling me that she felt uncomfortable about my blog entry "The Path Already Taken", because it may result in dividing the body, rather than edifying and uniting it.

Granted that she does have a point. But I am just blogging from my heart in all truthfulness and honesty. And that dear brother Jonathan did make those comments; it was not a figment of anyone's imagination.

The question therefore is whether we should remain silent so that we do not "divide the body"?

I would pose a similar question to Martin Luther. When he started to protest against papal practices, it divided the Catholic church. What resulted was the Reformation.

I would pose a similar question to John Wesley. When he reached out to the coal miners, it divided the Anglican church. What resulted was Methodism.

I would pose a similar question to Lawrence Khong. When he started speaking in tongues, it divided the Baptist church. The result was Faith Community-Baptist Church.

Come to think of it, "stealing sheep" is a misnomer, because it is not carried out so easily nowadays.

Sheep these days are not so dumb as to get "stolen" by other shepherds. Nor do they just merely follow their fellow sheep blindly. They move about willingly and with much mobility because there is a hunger within them for food that nourishes their souls.

So shepherds that see an outflow of sheep should instead examine themselves, and ask the Lord to reveal to them whether what they have been feeding their flock remains relevant for their spiritual growth.

No comments: