Friday, 7th March 2008
Before I resume the revelations from Genesis with the story of Abraham, I thought I'd share about something I read that really resonated with my spirit man.
I have mentioned earlier about supplementing my daily Bible reading with commentaries from a website I came across called BibleTrack.
When reading the commentary on Exodus 20 (when God gave the Israelites the Ten Commandments), the author includes a side commentary that argues very persuasively as to why we as New Covenant believers no longer use them as standards of righteousness.
Even the most rigid law-based people who insist on keeping them are likely to be guilty of breaking the 4th one -- observance of the Sabbath.
Here's what he has to say in the commentary on Ex 35:2, where God even pronounced a death sentence on those who worked on it...
Moses, just down from the mountain with a shiny face, had their attention as he spoke to Israel on this occasion. Here's the restatement of the Sabbath regulations again...and in really strong words. It's a death sentence to work on the Sabbath with a particular notation to kindling a fire: DON'T DO IT!
I just can't stop myself from saying it again. Don't try to convince me that you keep the Ten Commandments while you completely ignore the provisions of Commandment #4, sabbath keeping. Jesus fulfilled the law (Matthew 5:17-18, see notes); it has been done away (II Corinthians 3:7-11, see notes); it has been nailed to the cross according to Colossians 2:14 (see notes), "Blotting out the handwriting of ordinances that was against us, which was contrary to us, and took it out of the way, nailing it to his cross;"
How can something so clearly stated in the scripture get so mixed up by Believers today? Believers are neither made righteous by obeying the Law of Moses, nor are they kept righteous after salvation by doing so. The scripture is very clear on this, but if you're still a little confused on the relationship between Christians and the Ten Commandments, click here for more information.
2 comments:
AMEN AMEN AMEN!!!
The 10 commandments are not the standard of righteousness for today's Christ followers. In the Gospel, Jesus raised the standard even higher, eg. if you're angry with your brother, you already commit murder, or this one, if you look at a woman lustfully, you already commit adultery. Why bother to show them commandment #4 ? If Christians are not liable for the 10 commandment, it is because we have a higher one in the Gospel.
Post a Comment