Saturday, January 30, 2010

Going Against the Flow

Saturday, 30th January 2010

Every other person in my office seems to be carrying an iPhone.  I read an article about this lady who said she saw an ah pek in the nearby coffee shop carrying one and being upset that the hip factor was gone.

And the latest Apple gadget to be announced is the iPad.  Sure sounds like those filthy rags mentioned by the prophet Isaiah :-)

With all due respect to Steve Jobs, I find Apple products to be terribly over-rated and over-priced. 

I am still using my Creative Zen X-Fi (that I got a couple of years back) which had more functions than its iPod equivalent at that time and was way cheaper too.

Speaking of which, here's a photo that my daughter took of me last week with the 2 units of iPod Touch in the foreground.  I had purchased them from Challenger Superstore as lucky draw prizes for my company's upcoming D&D on 6 Feb 2010. 

The nonchalant,  couldn't-be-bothered look on my face tells you just how impressed I am with them...

And I am also pretty happy with my Samsung Omnia II, which can take paranomic photos like the ones you see below of the covered tennis courts at Singapore Island Country Club.  Can the iPhone do that?

Sure, the crowd may be going gaga about the iPod, iPhone and iPad but I prefer going against the flow.

Which brings to mind a decal that I had stuck on my Grandis, which showed a fish swimming in the opposite direction of other fishes, and has the words "Don't Conform. Be Transformed" below it.

We commonly hear the phrase "just go with the flow". But do you know that we as Christians should actually "go against the flow"? In Rom 12:2, Paul tells us not to conform to the world's pattern but be transformed by the renewing of our minds.

And that is exactly what I intend to continue to do with regards to the hype surrounding Apple stuff.

No comments: