Saturday, January 16, 2010

Shadow and Substance

Sunday, 17th January 2010

With effect from November 2009, I have also been put in charge of the Finance department of our office in Hong Kong.  What this means is that I have to travel there every now and then and stay for up to a week.

I am very much someone who does not really enjoy being away from my family. I keep a photo of my wife and I (that was taken on our wedding day) in my wallet so that I can take it out every now and then to gaze at it whenever I think of her.  I also kiss the photo of her.

However, when I am back in Singapore, I do not need to rely on the photo, since she is here in flesh and blood.  After all, why settle for the shadow when the substance is here.

A biblical parallel can be seen in the illustration above.   In the Old Testament, we see types and shadows such as the passover lamb, the ark of the covenant, manna from heaven, the various feasts and offerings, the sabbath etc.  In the New Testament, we have the substance which is Jesus Christ Himself.  The Israelites such as Moses, Samuel, David, Solomon and Elijah had to settle for the shadow, because Jesus had not yet come.  We who are beneficiaries of the New Covenant have the real substance.  Christ is our passover lamb.  Christ is our ark of the covenant.  Christ is our Bread of Life.  Christ fulfilled the various feasts and offerings.  Christ is our rest. 

Just like how my wife would think I'm crazy if I kiss her photo when she is with me in person, many believers nowadays still have an Old Covenant mentality of holding on the laws of Moses and settling for the types and shadows even though Christ has finished the work and He, the substance, is already here with us. 

May we partake of the substance and not settle for the types and shadows.  Amen?

1 comment:

Karine said...

very well said!!!

my husband also has our picture in his wallet and i laughed hard imagining my husband kiss my photo when i'm with him in person...:)