Sunday, 10th January 2010
Last year, when I was still on sabbatical leave from my church, I would call up the church office on a Friday to find out who was preaching that particular coming Sunday. If it was other than Rev Reuben Ng, my wife and I would end up going to NewCre. If Rev Reuben was preaching, then we would go to our home church.
Well, now that my sabbatical has ended, I have not seen the need to call up the church office anymore. So it was a pleasant surprise that Rev Reuben took the pulpit again this morning, having done so only 2 weeks ago :-)
His 64th sermon, entitled "Time is of the Essence" (hence the title of today's blog entry) is based on Jn 17:3 and Rom 8:28-29. He addressed the commonly-held misconception that "eternal life" refers to life after we leave planet earth.
This sounded so familiar because I blogged on this very topic back in Nov 09! Hey Rev, have you been reading my blog? ;-)
But the truth of the matter is probably that the same Holy Spirit has been giving the members of Christ's body the same revelation that eternal life is actually knowing God and that journey starts the moment one becomes a believer.
My church is currently on this theme "Sending -- Making Disciples of Christ". I am glad that Rev Reuben has helped to remove this notion that discipleship is something that is hard work, sacrificial and without joy. Discipleship is the exciting and wonderful journey of knowing God more and more.
This is so that we can become more and more conformed into the likeness of Christ as Paul says in Rom 8:29:
"For those God foreknew he also predestined to be conformed to the likeness of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brothers."
As an illustration, discipleship is being like Mary, sitting at Jesus' feet, relaxing and enjoying His presence. Discipleship is *NOT* being like Martha, busying herself and being troubled about many things. Hallelujah!
You can listen to Rev Reuben's sermon "Time is of the Essence" at the following link:
http://www.box.net/shared/iya2kslryl
1 comment:
While you were away, we received the latest 1-north project updates...
So far, we have collected $77.77 million dollars!! Number of perfection all around Haha!
Post a Comment