Saturday, January 9, 2010

Relac La Brudder!

Saturday, 9th January 2010

I have mentioned before that my church used to be extremely "traditional" but thanks be to Rev Dr Wee Boon Hup, there has been a gradual opening up.

I was serving in the choir back in the late 1980s and recall a conversation I had with a fellow brother.  He said to me, "There is no such thing as a clap offering.  Show me in the Bible an occasion where the people of God offered to Him a clap offering.". 

He also said that there was no need to raise our hands when worshipping God and quoted the famous verse from Ps 46:10 which says, "Be still and know that I am God." to support this view of his.

There have also been several occasions when I have heard preachers using this very verse to tell their congregation that because God is holy and righteous, we ought to keep still in His presence to show Him our honour and respect. 

As an illustration, those of you who are in army or police force will have to be familiar with two Malay words -- "sedia" and "senang diri" which means "stand at attention" and "stand at ease".  When the President walks past the contigent of soldiers during the National Day celebrations, they are all expected to stand in a "sedia" position (ie. at attention) as a sign of honour and respect.

But is that what this verse is depicting? Let's look at that psalm in its entirety, shall we?
Psalm 46
For the director of music. Of the Sons of Korah. According to Alamoth. A song.
1 God is our refuge and strength, an ever-present help in trouble.
2 Therefore we will not fear, though the earth give way and the mountains fall into the heart of the sea,
3 though its waters roar and foam and the mountains quake with their surging.
Selah
4 There is a river whose streams make glad the city of God, the holy place where the Most High dwells.
5 God is within her, she will not fall; God will help her at break of day.
6 Nations are in uproar, kingdoms fall; he lifts his voice, the earth melts.
7 The LORD Almighty is with us; the God of Jacob is our fortress.
Selah
8 Come and see the works of the LORD, the desolations he has brought on the earth.
9 He makes wars cease to the ends of the earth; he breaks the bow and shatters the spear,
he burns the shields with fire.
10 "Be still, and know that I am God; I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth."
11 The LORD Almighty is with us; the God of Jacob is our fortress.
Selah

Notice that throughout the psalm, God is the one who is at work.  The believer is the who just needs to be at rest and be in awe at how God takes care of the circumstances surrounding him!!!  What a revelation!

In fact, the word "be still" in the original Hebrew is רָפָה (raphah) Strong's H7503, which means to relax, let go, to slacken.  Although there are winds and waves around us, we just need to rest and relax and know that He is God Almighty and will take care of those winds and waves around us.

And there was a song called "Still" that was written by Reuben Morgan, a worship pastor at Hillsong Church based on this very psalm.



Hide me now under your wings
Cover me within your mighty hand

When the oceans rise and thunders roar
I will soar with you above the storm
Father you are king over the flood
I will be still and know you are God

Find rest my soul in Christ alone
Know His power in quietness and trust

I did not attend NewCre the past couple of weeks but I understand from my friends who worship there thast Ps Prince has also been emphasing in his sermons the need for the believer to be at rest. 

So the next time someone tells you to be still and know that He is God in a reprimanding tone or manner, tell him "relac lah brudder!"  "God is in charge!"  "Stand at ease."  "Senang diri."  Amen?

1 comment:

Stephanie said...

Hi Brother,

What Abba Father said rest and be still, it refers to the state of mind. Instead of worrying, whatever thoughts that you have in your mind is your worry. When rest in Him, there will be nothing to concern and care about.

This is not about raising hands to worship Him. Many a time, devil wants to keep our hands down during worship.

There is a battle in the bible, where when Moses hands were down, the Israeli lost. But when his hands were up, they win.

Personally, sometime, satan wanted me to keep my hands down too. But when I forced my painful hands up, I got my deliverance. Glory Glory!

Shalom!