Monday, 31st December 2007
We live in a time where abbreviations are in vogue.
For example, I have heard members of NCC say there are from "New Cree", because that is only 2 syllables instead of the 4-syllabled "New Creation". Fellow churchmates say they are from "Pee El" instead of the 7-syllabled "Paya Lebar Methodist".
We often call our daughter "Ray" instead of "Rachel", and many of my friends and colleagues call me "Mal" instead of "Malcolm".
The word "emo" is used to describe those who are "emotionally-accentuated", and the word "homo" is shortened form of "homosexual", but that's another thing altogether...
Which brings me to another abbreviation and the topic of today’s entry – "NY resos", which is the short-form of the word “new year resolutions”.
And what better time to talk about resos than on the last day of the year.
As I look back upon the year 2007, I must say that it has been an extremely eventful one. Sure, some of the incidences that took place can even be described as unpleasant. If these had taken place two years before, they may have caused me to be stressed out and have sleepless nights.
But thanks be to God that because of His grace, I have emerged not only relatively-unscathed but even more strongly-convicted than before.
One thing remains deeply entrenched in my spirit – and that is my opinion of Abba Father gets better and better each day. Why so?
Because I picture Him as that loving father who sprints towards me, embraces me and kisses me repeatedly, in spite of my prodigous ways. (Luke 15:20)
Because I know that He is for me and not against me (Rom 8:31)
Because I know that He wants to prosper me and give me a glorious and hopeful future (Jer 29:11).
Because I know that no weapon formed against me will prosper (Isa 54:17).
Because I know that I am the seed of Abraham, and as a result of that I am an heir of the promise (Gal 3:29).
And because I know that all His promises are Yes and Amen in Christ (2 Cor 1:20).
That being the case, what resos do I have for 2008? I have made 3:
(1) To learn more about Jesus and what His finished work on the cross has accomplished for me
By listening to sermons by Pastor Prince and Pastor Reuben. Faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the Word of Christ as preached by these anointed men of God!
(2) To hunger and thirst even more for His Word
I intend to read the entire Bible in one year. I have tried reading it end-to-end several times before, but usually give up by the time I get to Leviticus.
Thank God that I have discovered a version that is written like a modern-day novel, and hence very refreshing and readable. This contemporary paraphrase is The Message by Eugene Peterson. I notice that our TRAC President, Rev Dr Wee Boon Hup often quotes from it so it must his favourite...
Check out how Psalm 1:1-3 is paraphrased
1How well God must like you— you don't hang out at Sin Saloon, you don't slink along Dead-End Road, you don't go to Smart-Mouth College.
2-3 Instead you thrill to God's Word, you chew on Scripture day and night. You're a tree replanted in Eden, bearing fresh fruit every month, Never dropping a leaf, always in blossom.
(3) To impact lives
The gospel of grace should not just be head knowledge, but should result in renewed minds and transformed lives. As a result of learning more about God’s grace, may it affect the way I love my wife, bring up my kids and relate to those I come in contact with each day.
So help me God...
May the year 2008 be one that is filled with the blessings of Abraham! Amen?
No comments:
Post a Comment