Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Two Front Teeth

Tuesday, 11th December 2007

Just the other day, I asked my daughter what she wanted for Christmas, and do you know what her answer was? Nothing!

As I reflected upon what she said, I realise that she had answered thus because I have constantly been providing for her -- like topping up her phone cards, giving her the Pocoyo plush toys and Converse shoes, providing her with a weekly allowance even though it is now the school holidays, etc etc.

Because she has been a position of constantly receiving, there was no need for a special occasion like Christmas to request for anything out of the ordinary.

When I was in the University, I studied a subject known as Economics. One fundamental cornerstone in Economics is the concept of scarcity. Because resources are limited and hence its supply, an increase in the demand for a particular good or service will drive up its price.

And that is how our world operates in the natural. This scarcity mentality and spirit of poverty is operating everywhere we turn. When there is only one cake available to eat from, one getting a larger slice will result in another getting a smaller slice.

But that is not how our God is like because He is not limited by the natural. He is supernatural. When He blesses, He blesses lavishly and outrageously. Because His resources are boundless and limitless, five loaves and two fish can feed 5,000 men and many other women and children and still have 12 baskets full left over.

Instead of a scarcity mentality and a spirit of poverty, we the new-covenant believer should have an abundance mentality and a spirit of prosperity. We need not wait till Christmas or a special occasion for our Heavenly Father to bless us; we can expect His goodness and favour to be upon us every single minute of the hour, every hour of the day, every day of the week, every week of the month, and every month of the year.

Coming back to the earlier story about my daughter. Even though she asked for something less than 2 front teeth for Christmas, as her father who loves her for the only reason that she is my daughter, I decided to get her a 16GB Creative Zen music player for Christmas.

Of course she was thrilled to receive it. She asked me why I decided to get her the top-range 16GB one when a 4GB or 8GB one would have sufficed. Her question gave me as her earthly father the opportunity to share with her what her Heavenly Father is like -- one who is extravagent in His love for us.

You know something else? I think I derived more pleasure in giving her that Christmas present and seeing her enjoy it than she did receiving it. And I believe our Abba Father feels the same when He blesses us and sees us enjoy those blessings. Amen?

Many children look forward to Christmas, not because it is a reminder of the advent of baby Jesus, but because it is that one time of the year when they can expect a big present from daddy and mummy. And then throughout the rest of the year, their needs and wants have to be deferred until the next Christmas.

As parents, we are the earthly representation of our Abba Father. Which type of picture of Him do we want to paint to our kids? One who is generous or one who is stingy? One who operates out of abundance or out of scarcity? One who operates out of prosperity or poverty?

2 comments:

Angie said...

Mabbe that's why we have a Daddy God & not Mummy God.

Allie asked for one of those tank engine from Thomas the tank engine range and Mic got him a PSP instead. Of cos allie's happy with it but sometimes i question if it's the father that wants it or the kid. :p

Malcolm Loh said...

The PSP must have cost more than the tank engine, so Mic exceeded Allie's expectations.

But you may have a point there...

I got my son a Nintendo DS, but the good thing is I get to play it too :-)