Friday, December 28, 2007

One Leg Step Two Boats

Friday, 28th December 2007

Back in Aug 07, I wrote a short story entitled “Sincere… but sincerely wrong”.

I got some positive feedback about that one, so here is my second short story. Do let me know what you think about it...


“Hi, Ann [1]. It’s good to see you. I asked you out today because I am very worried for you. This new man in your life –-- you seem to be overly-devoted to him.”

“You could say that, but the truth is that I have never known anyone like Johanan [2] before! And the more I know him, the more I fall in love with Him.”

“But don’t you think you need to careful about giving your heart totally away again? I mean, have you forgotten what happened with Peter [3], your ex?”

“Ya, but Johanan is different...”

“Face it Ann, all men are the same. It’s not safe for you to take such an extreme stand. No offence, but I find Johanan to be rather strange and illogical. Whatever you say about Peter, at least you can’t deny that he was rational and predictable. He may have been extremely demanding, but at least you knew where you stood with him. Whenever you obeyed him, he rewarded you. Of course, when you disobeyed him, you also got what you deserved [4]."

“And that’s exactly why things didn’t work out with Peter. He was always demanding this and that of me, yet did not even bother to lift a single finger to help me. It was driving me to despair, as I found that I could never meet up to his expectations. Come to think of it, Johanan’s standards are actually even higher than that of Peter’s [5]. But the difference is that he helps out me in everything, so much so I feel so restful and secure just abiding in his love. In fact, he even showers me with gifts of love even at times when I feel I do not deserve them.”

“That is why he is too good to be true, Ann. No such person exists. I suggest for your own sanity’s sake, you should still continue to see Peter, just in case.”

“But I am married to Johanan! Surely you are not suggesting that I commit adultery [6]?!"

“Adultery is such a strong word. Look, I am not asking you to leave Johanan. I am just saying you should have both Peter and Johanan in your life to strike a balance. What’s wrong with that? I mean, just look around you, I’m sure many others like you are doing the same thing [7]!”

"But that’s asking me to step two boats with one leg [8]. God forbid that I do so [9]!"


[1] Ann is short form for An-tioch. Antioch was the place where Jesus' followers were first called Christians (Acts 11:26)
[2] Johanan is the Hebrew word for “God’s favour”, ie. God's grace
[3] Peter is the Greek word for “stone”. Stone is also used to symbolise the Law (2 Cor 3:7)
[4] Deut 28
[5] Matt 5:17-20
[6] Rom 7:6
[7] Rev 3:15
[8] 一脚踏两船 A Chinese idiom which means being a "two-timer"
[9] Gal 4:30

No comments: