The Other Side of The Story

Sunday, 3rd May 2009

I was checking out my blog two afternoons ago and was pleasantly surprised to see a comment left by none other that Rev Barnabas Chong, the previous youth pastor of my church :-)

We used to be in the same cell (3L2) and we and our family members were pretty close too.

Alas, after he discovered my stand on the grace gospel, our relationship went downhill all the way from then onwards. He ignored my initiatives for a reconciliation and even barred me from seeing him on Facebook.

Well, for reasons best known to himself, he decided to leave a comment on my blog, primarily to "paint the other side of the story" in response to the 12 Jan 2009 entry entitled "Orbi Goot Chiak Chooroot Ang Moh Chiak Chooroot".

I have decided to reproduce our conversation as a separate blog entry, and leave it to you readers to draw your own conclusions as to whether my entries are indeed "one-sided". If so, his comments won't see the light of day here now, would they? ;-)

Anybody, including Rev Peter Koh for that matter, is free to tell his side of the story. I promise to publish all responses in full. The only reason why I moderate comments is to prevent verbal abuse, like what was happening on Stan's blog before he decided to moderate comments on his too.

The trouble is Rev Koh prefers to keep silent. I have gotten feedback from fellow church members that he chooses not to respond to emails they send to him seeking clarifications too. By burying his head in the sand, so to speak, he perhaps hopes the problem will go away. But doing so only isolates these members even further. The vandal who wrote "Peter Koh = pig" is a case in point.

Anyway, whatever Rev Chong's motives or intentions may be, I choose to see this as a positive step towards reconciliation. After all, God will cause all things to work together for good. Amen? Credit also to Rev Chong for not writing to me in a high-handed manner, which is so different from the time when he arrogantly accused me of "touching the Lord's anointed".

Please continue to keep us in prayer as I sincerely believe reconciliation will take place this side of heaven, rather than that side of it.


Barnabas Chong said...

Hi Malcolm, it is rather unfortunate that you're only presenting one side of the account regarding why you were removed from leadership. It is not true that Rev Peter Koh would remove leaders from their position just for embracing the grace gospel. There are others in the leadership (including cell leaders) who believe in certain doctrines that are not the same as the pastors, yet they have not been removed from leadership. From what I know, Rev Peter Koh removed you from the leadership not because you believe and embrace NewCre's version of the grace gospel. You were removed from leadership because of the following:

1. You blogged and emailed to many (even people in church and from other churches you didn't know personally but somehow managed to get hold of their email addresses e.g. via the ACS Junior Fathers' Prayer Group email distribution) against the pastors and their teachings; opposing what the pastors teach in public


2. You were repeatedly asked (over at least a 6-month period) to stop doing so, at one-on-one level, you-and-the-pastors-only meeting, your father was approached, spoken to and appealed to by the pastors, etc.; but you continued to do so believing that God has called you to reform PLMC

3. You were teaching doctrines that are inconsistent with the church's teachings in your cell group even though you were told not to; and your cell members and cluster leaders have also advised you not to continue to advocate your doctrines the way you did.

The above are the reasons, I believe, why Rev Peter Koh removed you from leadership. And do let me add that it wasn't easy for him to do so. He didn't like jump for joy over it, on the contrary, it was painful and difficult, though it had to be done to maintain unity in the church.

As I have asked you before, go to any church, including NewCre and ask their pastors, if any leader of theirs do what you did - i.e. oppose the pastors' teachings publicly including via electronic means, what would these pastors do to such leaders? Will you be so courageous as to take up this challenge? I think if you do, it would help you understand why your pastor, who is called to love and guard the flock, removed you from leadership.

Thanks for reading my comment. For your info, I haven't been reading your blog and emails regularly, in fact, i only read them extremely occasionally (no more than a handful of times in the last 12 months) because I'm rather busy with ministry and moreso, I really want to leave all these unpleasantness behind me and move on. However, I have chosen to make this comment today, because of the gross misrepresentation you have made here in your entry and many people as a result have been misled by you to think poorly of Rev Peter Koh.

As for offering to ferry my children when I was in hospital, well I truly thank you for your kindness and generosity. You are indeed a generous person, I don't think anyone would dispute that. However, I am rather disturbed and saddened by your frequent attacks on Methodist pastors' teachings. And by elevating one pastor over others, you are actually being used by the enemy to bring dissension between the pastors knowingly or unknowingly.

Malcolm, I believe every Christian is entitled to choose their own interpretations of Scripture. So if you truly see NewCre's teachings to be biblical, that's good for you and the many thousands who are blessed in NewCre. Indeed, I have met several wonderful brothers from NewCre and I must say that they truly understand grace, having received it, they now extend it to those around them. As for you, I never understood why you, a recipient of the gospel of grace, could be so ungracious to your own pastors?

I'll continue to pray for you.

Sincerely,
Barnabas Chong

Friday, May 01, 2009 12:37:00 PM


Malcolm Loh said...

Thanks Ps B. This comment from you shows that you are at least willing to engage in a constructive conversation.

I harbour no ill-feelings towards you or Rev Koh. After all, we will all be re-united in heaven some day, so the sooner we are reconciled this side of heaven, the better. How about dessert at Stan's stall?

I hold fast to Rom 8:28 that all things work together for the good of those who love the Lord.

Yes, I was super-enthu about sharing the grace gospel with all that God put in my oikos (including the FPG). I was like that proverbial beggar who discovered gourmet food and wanted to share his discovery with his fellow beggars. If some took offense, my sincere apologies.

In retrospect, it was good that Rev Koh made me step down, because persecution actually helped to further the cause. And unlike Philip, I could attend NewCre without any encumbrances since I had no more church commitments.

You were transfered out by Rev Dr Wee because your law-based sermons were putting a yoke on the youth. Ps Reuben had his work cut out for him, but God has truly prospered his ministry because he unveils Christ. The concert hall is practically full whenever he preaches :-)

There is a transformation that is already happening in PLMC and my prayer for Rev Koh is that he does not kick against the goads. By doing so, he is unknowingly frustrating the Holy Spirit's work.

Will continue to pray for you too.

Most sincerely
Malcolm

Friday, May 01, 2009 9:08:00 PM


Barnabas Chong said...

Hi Malcolm, I guess I need to make another note here. By now, it should be clear to you and your readers that your perspective on things are at best one-sided, guess we can all be guilty of that until someone points out the other side of the story to us. I don't think I need to go into details about my appointment to Cairnhill, or about your accusations of me spreading vicious rumours about you and Reuben. Any intelligent reader would know better than to accept what you expressed in your blog wholesale without giving the concerned parties an opportunity to express their views. Thanks for praying for me, I certainly need it. May the Lord bless you and your family.

Barnabas

Friday, May 01, 2009 9:26:00 PM

10 comments:

Jared said...

Hey Malcolm,

I've been a frequent reader of your blog, and I'm glad that God has been at work in your life, blessing you richly in His favour. (:

Just to put myself in the context, I'm in my 20s, and I've grown up in PLMC, though I'm presently studying in the UK. In my teen years, as my eyes were opened and I began to transition from a kid that just goes through the motions to someone who really wanted to know what was going on, I especially enjoyed Rev Wee's sermons.

I spent time reading the word, reading and listening to a variety of sermons and writings, including some of the classics, and modern Word of Faith preachers like Kenneth Copeland etc. And, like anyone else, I disagreed and agreed with a good many things.

So while I attend PLMC when I'm back in Singapore, I don't neccessarily agree with all the sermons, and I do listen to many New Creation sermons for food as well.

I may not know the complete circumstances of what has transpired on both sides of the story, but surely, how can such disagreements be good for the Church?

So while I agree there has been some injustice done to you, I feel the tone of your blog posts regarding this issue can cloud matters more.

I may not agree with or like some of Rev Peter Koh's sermons, but the fact remains that God has placed him in a position to pastor PLMC, and he does so earnestly, seeking God for strength along the way. Does he believe in grace? Yes, just perhaps not to the extent that we would prefer. Does he believe that God provides? Most certainly yes. And he truly does care for the flock, regardless of whether you or me or anyone else agrees with the underpinning beliefs.

It would then seem rather unfair to say things like he is burying his head in the sand, hoping the problem will go away, etc. Or, for Pastor B, things like high-handed manner, arrogance, etc. There are earnest believers in PLMC, a good many who seek Jesus and are growing in His love day by day. These matters are potentially stumblnig blocks for these Christians - and we wouldn't want that would we?

It's one thing to talk about God's grace in cell, and another to write negatively of your own pastor's doctrine in emails and in blogs. We don't have to agree on everything in order to fellowship together.

Certainly, I believe in the grace of God, I believe that because of what He has done for me, I am richly blessed and favoured. But I wouldn't want to write negatively of my own pastor's doctrines in blogs or emails because doing so would be counterproductive to what I believe.

I feel that it's one thing to say lets focus on God's grace and His finished work, and another to say in particular that my pastor's doctrine is law-based and detrimental to believers. I think that if we focus on God's goodness and His grace, the rest should be immaterial.

It doesn't fill me with joy to see how the relationship between yourself and pastor B has degenerated, but I'm sure that both of you have forgiven each other? (:

There are several possible reasons why he might have rejected your gift to him that I can certainly understand, and I feel it doesn't help matters for you to highlight that issue. I mean, even between two normal friends, it's not a great tragedy to receive a gift that you genuinely don't need, and give it away or sell it as a result.

So yes, I do sympathise with both sides and I thouroughly understand that I don't see the full picture. And I pray that in due time you will all be reconciled - and if not here, then in heaven. (:

P/s: I do apologise for this extremely long comment - longwindedness is a failing of mine. (: I intended it as an email, but I couldn't find any address on the blog site itself.

Peace be with you!

Jared.

Anonymous said...

Dear Malcolm,

I know that this is none of my business..please feel free to delete this comment if you are offended.

I used to think like you...I can change my ex-church members to see the true gospel of grace. I gave them CDs, books, testimonies...

But in the end, it is all about receiving a relevation and God's timing. Perhaps, it is time for you to move on already. I believe, our Lord will in His own time..reach out to all the brothers and sisters that you hold dearly in your heart. You have done your part already.

Malcolm Loh said...

Dear Jared

Thanks for taking the trouble to write.

My opinions of Rev Koh and Rev Chong should be read in that context -- opinions. I'm sure their opinion of me cannot be very positive either. In fact, Rev Koh even opined that I was capable of vandalism, and that's why he gave my name to the police.

I'm sure Rev Koh and Rev Chong mean well for PLMC. That was and has never been in doubt.

But the same can be said about Saul when he went about defending what he thought was an attack on the traditions passed down by his forefathers.

God creates us all differently. While some are inclined to suffer in silence, others are not. While some are prompted to move on to NewCre, other are prompted to remain behind to change things from the inside.

I have been asked before why I am making public these disagreements when a better option may be to maintain harmony in the Body of Christ. When we get to heaven, we should perhaps ask Luke that same question as to why he wrote in Acts 15:39 about the "sharp disagreement" between Paul and Barnabas. And also ask Paul as to why he chose to make public his dispute with Peter in the letter he wrote to the Galatians in Gal 2:11.

Let us instead hold fast to Rom 8:28 that in all things God works for the good of those who love Him and are called according to His purpose.

And I see that already happening. As a result of what has transpired (including Rev Koh's article on antinomianism), fellow church members are wondering what the fuss is all about, and as a result, started to listen to Ps Prince's sermons for themselves and be likewise transformed. Hallelujah!

Jasmin said...

Dear Malcom,

I'm a fan of your blog. I'm not here to side anyone but just to share from my own experience.

I don't know under what situation did Rev Koh give your name to the police. From my own experience, there was a break-in of my shop few years back.

The police came and their first question was "Did you have any conflict with anyone recently?" My husband told them that we had recently fired a staff. Because of this she was called to the police station for questioning.

I guessed no one would like to be singled out and called to the police station for questioning.

So Rev Koh might not have specifically fingered you out.

As for the cell group, I felt that if I were to keep talking about the 10 commandments, repentance,etc during NCC care group I wouldn't be removed but most probably refer back to Pastors or Deacons.

I believe that NCC will not just remove someone without a good reason but encourage us to continue to listen and learn.

HOWEVER...given that I think removing you from all positions is definitely bad taste.

There are tons of bad influence in the world, why the decision to remove someone who is so passionate in God's words. Instead isn't it better to understand and accommodate each other.

Did PLMC discuss this with Malcom before removing him? Explaining that they might have to take this step if Malcom doesn't conform to the church's teaching?

'Love your neighbor as yourself.'

mother said...

hello malcolm. its one of my first few times here (: may the grace of God abound more and more in your life (:

its encouraging to read your blog, because seeing you being persecuted for this radical grace of God that you preach just shows that not everyone's open to grace teachings.

i'm 18 this year, and going through many persecutions in my church as well. i'm from world revival prayer fellowship, a church i believe you've heard of before. i'm being persecuted for this same message which is being preached by you and me, and i'm meeting up with my senior pastor just tomorrow, and this blog post just gave me the encouragement, to know that there're actually people out there who're fervently preaching the true gospel, which people need to hear.

i'd like to encourage you with 1 John 5:4-5, for in Christ, any stronghold that comes against us, will be broken down, be cause we have the victory. we have the power to overcome the world. hold strong to your faith in Christ Jesus our Lord Malcolm !

lets just call me J (:

Malcolm Loh said...

Hi J

I'm pretty surprised to hear about your being persecuted because I've met your pastor before and he seems pretty open to the grace gospel.

In fact, he met up with quite a number of us grace folks about a month ago. I blogged about that event here

Rabbi Caught Eating With PublicansWill keep you in prayer, and do keep us posted on the outcome of your meeting with him.

mother said...

hey malcolm. yea i just met up with him today. we didnt really touch much on what i preach. so i thank god for that. guess it was kinda of a misunderstanding. its been getting me down a little. i've received 3 people comign to me just on sunday (4 days ago), tell me to watch what i preach. so i presumed this was another one. heh but i guess it wasnt. thank god (:

carry on preaching the true gospel !

God Bless You.

Jeffrey said...

God has called us to a ministry of reconciliation.

As zealous as we about our views and beliefs,sometimes how we share is as important as what we share.

It may be difficult to speak into someone's life when we have not earn the right to do so.

Unlike our relationship with God,sometimes people will only allow us to speak into their lives when we have only earned the right to do so.

Malcolm Loh said...

Hi Jeff

In theory, I will agree with you. But I was just wondering whether "earning the right" has a biblical basis or is it a phrase that is coined up by us.

For example, did Paul "earn the right" to speak into Peter's life? Did Philip "earn the right" to speak into the Ethiopian eunuch's life? Did Jonah "earn the right" to speak into the Ninevites' lives?

I am more inclined that as the Spirit leads, we obey. Our duty is to sow the seed of the gospel of grace; it is God that will cause it to come to fruition :-)

Jeffrey said...

Good questions bro.

I agree that we are to be led by the Spirit.

By earning the right I do not mean that we have to do everything to please someone to make them listen to us.

It was something that Andrew Wommack said about evangelism.There are Christians who shove tracts at people and told them to repent or burn.

What they were sharing wasn't the Good News and it didn't sound good.

I'll meet up with you for coffee and we'll talk again bro.

Must pay the price again to go to Shenton Way to earn the right.Just kidding.

Powered By Blogger