A Happening Day

Sunday, 16th September 2007

On 26 August 2007, my entire family experienced a close encounter with the Third Person, which I blogged about here.

Anyway, that evening's sermon was based on Ruth, and in particular, Ruth 2:3 mentions that Ruth "went and gleaned in the field of the reapers; and she happened to come to the portion of the field belonging to Boaz..."

When I left the service, I had this blessed assurance deep inside of me that as new covenant believers, we ought to have an excellent opinion of our God, who just cannot wait to bless us exceedingly abundantly over and above all that we can ask or imagine. As such, we should wake up every day with this expectation that God will fill it with "happening" divine appointments, as He puts us in the right place at the right time to receive those blessings.

Well, one such "happening" day was 3 September. During lunchtime, I sent my daughter to the YMS Arts Centre in Waterloo Street to practice the piano in preparation for her exams to be held there a week later. After dropping her off, I went to the nearby post office at Bras Basah Complex to run some errands -- ie. to mail out the first batch of copies of Destined to Reign to those who had subscribed to the ROOTSS mailing list.

I had been to this SingPost outlet a couple of times before (Tecman, which is where I bought the books from, is located on the 4th floor of the same building). So it took me by surprise when the gentleman at the counter asked me a totally unrelated question -- as I was filling out a form to send one of the books to USA -- which was whether I was interested in making investments! I said I was open to it, and he then referred me to a financial consultant who was stationed there in the post office...

I had sometime in July 2007 cashed out of a unit trust (which I purchased in February 2006) at a 35% profit (not because I had timed the market right, but because of the Holy Spirit's prompting), which I blogged about here. Since then, I had been considering when would be the right time to re-invest...

... and the LORD gave me the answer in the most unexpected way, when I was not even looking out for it! This is what one would term as "serendipity" (Pastor Prince talked about this in his sermon "doing the one thing", which has been made available for listening on this blog).

Anyway, to cut a long story short, SingPost has tied up with Prudential, and the latter has just launched a new unit trust fund called Global Balanced Fund at the initial price of $1.00 per unit. This unit trust is considered so safe by the Singapore Government that one can use even use one's CPF Special Account to purchase it. It is considered "global" because the underlying investments will be placed in USA, Europe and Asia, and "balanced" because it is to be made up of both equities and bonds.

As I signed the purchase forms, I gave thanks to the LORD. Here I was sowing into the lives of others with a copy of Destined to Reign, and there He was putting me at the right place at the right time, providing me with the answer to what to re-invest in (and at the same time, giving business to that financial consultant).

But that was not the only happening thing that happened that day. In the evening, I brought my daughter shopping at VivoCity (and sponsored everything that she bought because she has been faithfully giving beyond the tithe -- which I blogged about here).

After shopping, I decided to pay a visit to Stanley, who runs a dessert stall called "Dessert Tree" located at #02-139 of Bukit Timah Market Food Centre, and whose spiritual awakening testimony has been reproduced here.

His stall was supposed to close at 10pm, but since I took the trouble to visit him, he decided to keep it open, and even treated me to a bowl of Mango Pudding Ice Jelly (which is one of his 2 specialities -- the other being Red Rubies Ice Jelly). It was very delicious. My daughter is not a mango fan, yet she took several helpings of it...

While we sat there talking with him keeping us company, he had to be interrupted numerous times because there was a steady stream of customers (even though it was already past his stall's normal closing time). I felt very "paiseh" and had to excuse myself at about 11pm, even as he attended to yet another customer.

As I drove back home with my daughter, I pondered over the day's events and felt a deep appreciation of the love of our Abba Father. His unmerited favour is available to all of His children. The question is whether we believe that He can be that good. If we do, then we put ourselves in a "receiving mode" to enjoy those blessings. Amen?

No comments:

Powered By Blogger