Thursday, 24th July 2008
Dearest readers of ROOTSS
A few days ago, I wrote an email to Rev Dr Gordon Wong regarding his review of Destined to Reign, which I have also reproduced here on this blog.
Rev Dr Wong is a lecturer in Trinity Theological College specialising in New Testament Studies. He was kind enough to reply to my email, and we have arranged to meet up for lunch for further discussions. I thank God for opening this door and look forward to an iron-sharpening session with him.
Speaking of which, I invited my own senior pastor out for a lunch treat back in January 2007, but 19 months later, he has still not reverted to me. It appears that he is even busier than President George Bush :-)
Anyway, Rev Dr Wong's nephew Chris is currently worshipping at New Creation Church. He had earlier written a response to his uncle and had hoped that it would be read by his fellow churchmates. I am helping him do the honours by reproducing this in full below...
Thanks Uncle Gordon!
That was a very good writeup, it was concise and to the point, and it addresses some of the main flaws I've come to see in the doctrine at New Creation in a very objective and well-thought out manner, and most importantly, it uses scripture as a foundation rather than opinion, which makes it a joy to read!
I still support very firmly Pastor Prince very firmly, in that on the whole, his preaching, when considered cautiously and prayerfully, has caused me to grow closer to Jesus like nothing else so far. The main thing that has blessed me is that his preaching encourages that righteousness and righteous living (commonly referred to as "works") is a result of salvation and a relationship with God, and not as much a requirement.
On the other hand, I also wholly agree that he tends to use rather vague arguments to justify some of his further fetched interpretations. These are often enough to convince someone who is not too concerned about looking deeper into the text of God's Word, or who come based on the assumption that Pastor Prince is correct unless proven otherwise (there must be heaps of the latter!). For example, several years ago, he did address the issue of Ananias and Sapphira during a Sunday Sermon. He too realised that piece of scripture did have the potential to make a hole in the doctrine, and he did seek God in prayer for the answer, and one night he heard God whispering two sentences to him, "A certain man named Ananias", followed by "A certain disciple named Ananias" over and over again. In response to this, he went to his Bible and did the usual digging. The references were to the the husband of Sapphira, and the man who prayed over Paul immediately after Paul's encounter with Christ on the way to Damascus, as this was how they were referred to in Scripture (or at least in the NKJV interpretation of It). Pastor Prince thus came to the conclusion that Sapphira's husband was referred to as "a certain man" because he did not truly have Jesus in his heart (similar to nominal Christians we find very often in church these days). It is of course clear that the other Ananias who was referred to as "a certain disciple" had a strong (relatively) relationship with God to be able to converse with Him in the manner that he did. The fact that they died, apparently shows the point, since their death gave them no chance for repentance, it is assumed that God knew that they would never repent anyway.
While I certainly am in no position to question anybody's experiences with God (i.e. did God really tell him or not), I have to say that to this day I'm not 100% convinced. The reference you brought up regarding the seven churches in Revelation is also my point of contention with this. This is just one of many examples. Jas and I do find from time to time during his sermons that we have moments that we just look at each other with the "can we take that seriously?" look.
Still, what I do find is that the message that comes through Pastor Prince so far has given me the most appealing picture of the Gospel as a whole. Now, when I say appealing, I don't mean "something I want to hear", but something that appealed to my common sense in the light of almost 16 years (at the time) of Sunday School lessons and church sermons. It made all the bits fall together. Righteousness by grace, and not just a position of righteousness, but a life of righteousness.
After all, it does say in the Word that because we are under grace and not under law, sin shall not have dominion over us, and therefore we are enabled to live righteously. Earlier I said that the message he preached did wonders for my relationship with God. To follow on with that, no other preaching has enabled me to break free of so many sinful addictions and mindsets so far. Or to be more accurate, no other preaching has encouraged me to seek God to break free from sin, rather than to break free from sin in order to seek God, and it was God who through that, continues to enable me to break free from sin.
I think God is using Pastor Prince to break a mindset of legalism, and to encourage a love-relationship with God. However, as you say, I can see that there are many points in his preaching which, if taken too literally or without much thought, could serve as a stumbling block to the receiver. I suppose I'm of the opinion that it is the person who can listen to his sermons objectively and with a questioning, seeking mind, and with strong attention to the Holy Spirit, that would benefit the most! As such, I think the little paper you've written here would be very useful for someone who is genuinely interested in finding Jesus through New Creation church, in contrast to alot of other things written or spoken about pastor Prince which either focus solely on demolishing his teaching or smothering over its weak points, most of which turn out to be equally unconvincing and biased in nature.
Thanks again! I do hope this does get published in the Methodist Message, but a part of me hopes that it will somehow get into circulation at New Creation Church, and be received constructively rather than defensively.
Chris
At the end of the day, the gospel of grace is not a debate involving intellectual arguments where one camp wins and the other camp loses. Rather it should be something that the Christian should experiment and experience for himself. If it does not work for him, well and good --- God will not force His blessings upon anyone. On the other hand, if it works for him, it should ultimately result in life transformation.

4 comments:
Hi Mal,
Thanks for publishing the letter from Chris which was very sincere and well written.
Chris brought out the sole reason why I embraced the grace gospel so wholeheartedly - quote "It made all the bits fall together" unquote.
I too had attended Sunday School since I was a kid. I was taught about what happened in the bible stories but not the why. However, all these lessons helped a lot when Pastor Prince preached from the OT because I already knew the stories and I could concentrate on listening to PP explain the whys.
PP is not infallible and some of his preaching may be vague - quote "Jas and I do find from time to time during his sermons that we have moments that we just look at each other with the "can we take that seriously?" look." unquote.
However, PP has told the congregation a number of times not to blindly accept wholesale what he (or any other preacher) preaches. He told us that we have to search the bible ourselves to confirm what we have heard.
I believe PP is filled with God's anointing. Sometimes his preaching may be seemingly vague or maybe not backed up by enough scripture, but I see God's anointing in him, so by faith I choose to believe and wait for God's further revelation to him to share with the congregation.
Sometimes, my spirit just agrees with certain truths preached even though their proof relies on PP's interpretation of certain verses which some others do not agree with.
For example, in his sermon "The Truth About The Judgment Seat Of Christ" (12/5/2005), he explained Matt 7:21-23 -
(NIV) "Not everyone who says to me, 'Lord, Lord,' will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only he who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. Many will say to me on that day, 'Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and in your name drive out demons and perform many miracles?' Then I will tell them plainly, 'I never knew you. Away from me, you evildoers!'
Some preachers have used these verses to preach that we can lose our salvation if we do not do the will of God, hence we need works to justify our salvation. If we accept this interpretation, then logically we should not accept Christ until we are on our death bed because the earlier we accept Christ, the longer the time and the greater chances we have to lose our salvation!
PP explained that those verses refer to the judgment day when ALL will see that Christ is the true God. In that day, those who sought their own way to heaven by worshipping their own god in their own way and doing their own works, will claim that since Christ is God, then the god they had been worshipping all their lives is Christ and all the works they have done in their god's name is in fact in Christ's name, and therefore now call Him "Lord, Lord".
So Christ rightly says," I never knew you" because they never accepted Christ during their lives on earth. If Christ is talking to backslidden Christians or Christians who have not done the will of God, then He cannot say He NEVER knew you because He should have at least known them before.
Can these two different interpretation of the scripture be proven? Of course not. We can only confirm the truth on judgment day itself. However, my spirit within agrees with PP's preaching and it also gels together with the gospel.
Some passages in the bible may seemingly (to quote Chris) "have the potential to make a hole in the doctrine" but PP has said before the bible is not confused but we are. He has said a number of times that we should not allow the obscure passages in the bible to rob us of the joy found in the clear passages.
I trust that in time God will give PP and other anointed preachers the revelation to those verses which I believe will gel together with all the clear truths that have already been revealed.
Sometimes we just need to believe first, and the concrete teaching will come later in God's good timing. For example, the Tiberius Church in Indonesia has been believing and practising in the power of the Holy Communion and anointing oil for years based on the senior pastor's personal encounter with Jesus, without knowing the full teaching behind them. But God brought PP to them through the senior pastor's son and PP has given them the teaching for the past few years.
Yes, we should read the bible for ourselves and confirm what the preacher says is in line with the bible. However, at times we ourselves don't know the answer and we are not sure whether what the preacher says is correct. Then I suggest we ask ourselves this question - "Do we believe that this preacher is truly anointed by God?"
If the answer is yes, then I suggest we believe first and enjoy the benefits of the truth first. After all, the preacher is filled with God's anointing to preach while we are not. If everything in the bible must be proven first before we accept, then we don't need faith.
Pastor Prince could have played it safe, like most preachers, and be a "good" preacher to all, or he could choose to be bold enough to speak forth and be judged by men.
I do find some bits & pieces here & there he has contradicted himself, or the interpretation won't quite convincing: one of the recent one was on the tithe, where he mentioned that 12 spies sent into the promised land, and when Joshua & Caleb left the other 10 to decide, the 10 represented the tithe. The number 10 may be there, but I have yet to see how this 10 spies represented 10% or one tenth of the congregation of Israelites.
Nonetheless I must admit I benefitted tremendously from his ministry. I checked the bible on a lot of things he has preached and I must agree that the Holy Spirit in me witnessed that majority of the interpretations are consistent and within the context of the bible.
Honestly sometimes a word or a verse from God during a sermon is powerful enough for all the cares one have in the world. In a sermon, God speaks to individuals who seeks Him, and confirmation, assurance were given during the sermon. Many a times I have been lead to read certain part of the bible, God showed me certain things, I shared it with my wife, and is subsequently confirmed on Sunday when Pastor Prince preached part or whole of verses I have read a few days before the service. There is communication here, there is a relationship here, and that is all it matters, cos God do "talk" to me, and I thank Pastor Prince for his preachings that I have a "real" relationship with God today!
Wait, before you think I worship Pastor Prince as well! NO, I don't! Yes, he may have flaws in his teachings, but he is also mere man right???!!! Nevertheless I have and will continue to regard him as my spiritual teacher in the word of God.
Through JP ministry, I have learnt more about Jesus and His words in a few months (I am now attending NCC for the 7th year), as compared to 10 years previously with an independent missionary church, where doctrines were, most unfortunately, taken from all over the places.
I read the bible more consistently. I meditate on His words as if they were life to me. I attempt to see Jesus in the everything part of the bible I read. I don't think it's just me, but many millions have benefitted from JP ministry.
God has certainly used him to bring many back to God in a LOVE relationship, not a master-servant relationship. Now that I am in love, He empowers me to serve Him, Who loves me.
Many preachers can have all the hard facts, but when all these hard preachings cannot bring back all the prodigal sons / daughters, but instead drive them more & more in desperation, despair, worthlessness and drive them away from God rather than towards God, then what is the point?
The problem with educated Christians is, they interprete too much using logics. Instead of being guided by the Holy Spirit, listens attentively with their hearts, they reasoned out most often with their brains + science + logics etc.
We can see that many a times, the simple in faith, the ones who are not that educated, who takes hours to read a story of the bible, or who can't really read, is happy with the little things of God, is happy that he is loved by God, and sees blessings of God in his/her life ... is used by God, and can be used by God. God can use these simple in faith to give a word of wisdom, though they may not be able to know the bible inside out, to help His people.
On the other hand, those who can quote verses after verses, reads the bible inside out, impress many with their eloquence and visions, takes many blessings for granted, and full of themselves to the extent that when God speaks to them, they could hardly hear! or they would question like, "Are YOU sure?", "It's not logical!", "what if ...?".....
No offence to many legalistic preachers out there, but at times I felt (it's my opinion only) that they are like Nicodemus, who has too much at stakes to follow Jesus, as contrast to the Apostle Paul, who is sincere to God and when he met the truth God he was radically transformed ..... it's all in the bible.
Shalom Shalom
William
Thanks for sharing the letter from Chris Malcolm. And the sharing of Stanley & William. Thru you guys, I see a greater need to establish my roots deeper into His Grace & Righteousness. It also convinced me that we do have a congregation of discerning christians despite what others have been saying of us. :)
It's cliche saying this but let's keep the fire gng! ;p
"It only takes a spark
to get a fire going,
And soon all those around
can warm up in its glowing;
That's how it is with God's Love,
Once you've experienced it,
Your spread the love to everyone
You want to pass it on."
- Kurt Kaiser
thanks! i've come to a better appreciation of Ps Prince's teachings now... it seems that he is making the same point as Tim Keller's '3 ways to live' (legalism, licentiousness and gospel living) which is super!
but i do agree with Gordon that in his unguarded statements, the positive role of God's law to show us how an alternative, countercultural community of holiness looks like is downplayed
Post a Comment