Missions and Evangelism

Monday, 28th July 2008

As a youth growing up, whenever someone mentioned the words "missions and evangelism", I would picture having to give up the comforts of one's home to venture into the innermost jungles of Africa in order to bring the good news to the unreached.

Whenever I heard a sermon about the Great Commission, I would feel a sense of guilt and inferiority, especially when it mentioned martyrs like Jim Elliot who nobly and bravely gave up his life in the course of spiritual battle.

In the first 35 years of my life, I remember bringing only one person to Christ, and would feel envious of those who could share about their faith with others so easily.

Well, one of the results of embracing the grace gospel is that missions and evangelism have suddenly become part and parcel of everyday life, because it is God that puts me in the right place at the right time, and gives me wisdom to somehow bring up the gospel in a natural and non-threatening manner.

This started happening in November 2007 when I was attending my nephew's birthday party. My brother-in-law was steep in Buddhism at that point of time, and used to have statues of Buddha and the like all over his house. Somehow, we got to talking over dinner, during which he mentioned he saw Ps Prince and his family when he was holidaying in Australia. (He recognised Ps Prince because he saw Destined to Reign on sale at the Times Bookshop outlet at the Airport). One thing led to another, and I was soon sharing with him what God had been doing in my life. To cut a long story short, 8 months later, his entire family is now attending New Creation Church! Hallelujah!

With effect from 1 April 2008, I am now with a Canadian company which office is located in the heart of Raffles Place. While my previous workplace had colleagues who were mainly down-to-earth Mandarin-speaking heartlanders, many of my current colleagues are English-speaking intellectuals who may have attended church at some point of their life or another.

And that was when it dawned upon me what God's plans are for me at this stage of my life! It was at my previous company that a colleague introduced me to the gospel of grace. Now that I have been firmly entrenched and rooted in it, God has now placed me in the midst of people who can identify with the journey I have been through, and be shown the way back into the fold.

There is this particular colleague whose name is spelt the Biblical way, so I asked her casually how she got her name. She revealed that she used to attend a Baptist church until the age of 22, and have stopped attending it ever since. She even remarked that she has “attended church long enough to last her lifetime”.

A week ago, I shared with her about my being a Methodist for nearly 3 decades and how only recently had I begun to understand what the true gospel was all about. I also told her that many well-meaning Christians folks give up going to church because there were just too many rules and regulations imposed upon them. This seems to resonate with her, and she ended up asking whether she could borrow some Ps Prince sermons to listen to.

I was prompted to lend her "See The Father's Love for You", which is about the Prodigal Son, and she told me that she really enjoyed the sermon, especially the part about there being "music and dancing in the Father's house". Not only that, her preconceived stereotyping of pastors being boring and legalistic has changed because she saw one that was humorous and looked sharp in an Armani suit. Praise the Lord!

As I reflected upon this, I realise that missions and evangelism can be carried out without one sounding "preachy" or being "churchy". Rather, it is something really exciting and effortless! My mission is to make known that Christianity is more than just a religion that is practiced on a Sunday, but is a relationship with a true and living God who is relevant and practical for everyday living. And evangelism is being a messenger of that good news.

And so, I have placed on a shelf in my room, in between the book on Consolidated Accounts Singapore and the English-Chinese dictionary, several Ps Prince's CD and DVD sermons, which will come in handy the next time another opportunity to witness arises. Hallelujah!

5 comments:

Daughter Of Sarah said...

Praise God! =) Daddy God has indeed positioned you to help unveil the true person of Jesus to His lost little lambs. May He continue to use you greatly!

cybeRanger said...

Trust the Lord will use you mightily for His glory :)

Btw, you may want to get "Live In Israel Volume 2" (DVD Box Set — NTSC). Watch as Ps Prince unveils biblical truths about leadership, parenting and how making Jesus the central figure in your life will bless you and your entire household. Feel the people and places of the Bible come alive as you see up close Samson’s hometown of Zorah, Adullam Cave where David hid from King Saul, and Kirjath Jearim where the ark of the covenant rested before it was finally brought to Jerusalem.

My favourite is Disc 2 :)
Michmash: Coming Out Of Darkness

Beth Shemesh: The Law Demands Righteousness, But Grace Imparts Righteousness

Kirjath Jearim: The Secret Of David — A Man After God's Heart

Malcolm Loh said...

Hi Geri

Just read your blog and was encouraged by your evangelising experience.

Say, there are a couple of marketing positions available in my company. If you are interested, please drop me an email at mloh77@starhub.net.sg

Malcolm Loh said...

Hi CybeRanger

Has that set just been released? I was at the Rock two weeks ago but did not see it.

Will pick it up the next time I visit, thanks!

As The Deer said...

Hi brothers!

Thanks Malcolm for the offer. I've not done marketing before haha. =) I've been freelance writing most of my working life and God has blessed me so much in this area with regards to finances and time for the family.

I am still watching Live In Israel 1 with my hubby lol. We are trying to watch or listen to a sermon every other night together. I was feeling like were were cosy-ing up to our Hubstation more than we did to the Word of God. Hubby was totally receptive to the idea. Praise God!

Can't wait to start on the second set. I got it 2 weeks back. Watching the one on the high priest garments in the afternoon as well as Joyce Meyer's video and audio podcasts.

I like being plugged in to my charger as much as possible. =) Sometimes the world can be so draining.

Interestingly, I have not listened to the radio or to secular music in almost 2 years and I feel like I am not missing out on anything. I used to be so affected by emo music... =p. I found that they drained me the most.

Trying to keep my ears tuned to edifying sermons and music instead. And I must say that has made a huge difference in my life. God is good!

Regards,
Geri

Powered By Blogger