Friday, 22nd August 2008
The LORD has been placing in my heart to pen down my thoughts regarding scandalous and controversial passages in the Bible.
Nothing happens by chance but is through God's divine appointment that has caused my path to cross with Jeffrey, who is in the book publishing industry, and Geri, who is a scriptwriter, so I can tap on their expertise to get the book proofread and published should this really come to pass.
I was contemplating how the contents of the book should be presented. I have tried my hand at writing short stories and even a comic illustration, and that was when the Lord impressed upon me that it should be a combination of both!
So here goes, and tell me what you think:
SAVING ONE'S OWN SKIN AT THE EXPENSE OF ANOTHER'S
[Gen 12: 10-17]
Abram: Sarai dear, as there's a famine in the land, I think we should go down to Egpyt until it clears.
Sarai: OK, sure.
Abram: Umm, just one thing...
Sarai: Yes?
Abram: You may be 60 years old already, but are still a very beautiful woman. Pharaoh is sure to desire you when he sees you. If he finds out you are my wife, he will surely kill me, and then take you to be part of his harem.
Sarai: Go on...
Abram: Remember how God promised me that I will be a father of many nations? Well, if I die in the hands of the Pharaoh, that promise ain't gonna happen.
Sarai: So what do you suggest we do?
Abram: Is it ok if I told him you are my sister? In that way, I will be treated well and my life will be spared. But most importantly, God's promise can come to pass!
Sarai: Ok, if that's what God has prompted you to do.
IN EGYPT
Pharaoh's official: Your honour, two strangers have wandered into our land - a man and a woman. We have been informed that they are brother and sister.
Pharaoh: Bring her for me to see... oh and her brother as well.
Abram and Sarai are brought to the palace before Pharaoh
Pharaoh: Hi there, welcome to Egypt. How may I address you?
Abram: I'm Abram and this is my sister, Sarai. We are here to take refuge because there is a famine in our land.
Pharaoh: You have a very beautiful sister, Abram. Please, make yourselves at home in our country.
Abram: You are very kind, sir. Thank you.
Pharaoh: No, thank YOU! [looks lustily at Sarai and then winks at Abram].
Pharaoh gives sheep and cattle, male and female donkeys, menservants and maidservants, and camels to Abram in exchange for Sarai, whom he brings into his palace to be another of his many wives.
DAYS LATER
Pharaoh: WTH is happening? I've got this horrible rash, but worst of all, I cannot perform! Although we have already invented the pyramids, Viagra is still not on the cards until several thousand years more, so what am I going to do? And who is going to satisfy all these women in my palace?
Pharaoh's official: Your honour, I think this is happening because of that woman Sarai. He is actually Abram's wife.
Pharaoh: His WIFE???? Summon that sneaky son of a gun to me!
Abram is brought before the Pharaoh
Pharaoh: Is this true?
Abram: Yes, your honour.
Pharaoh: What have you done to me? Why did you tell me she is your sister when she is actually your wife. Now, take all that I've given you and get the hades out of my country!"
QUESTION TO PONDER: Abram lies about his wife, and Sarai ends up marrying the Pharaoh (which includes having to go to bed with him). In the end, it is not Abram but the Pharaoh that is punished by God! By being a selfish coward, Abram not only gets away scot-free but leaves Egypt with possessions such as sheep and cattle, male and female donkeys, menservants and maidservants, and camels. Why?
2 comments:
Because Abraham was under the covenant of grace? :)
Nods. Abraham was before Mosaic Law was establish. Abba called Abraham his kawan kawan as well.
Interestingly, Job was also before the Mosaic Law. He was Abraham's contemporary I think...
Lol. It was interesting to read. =D
I think it'd go well with illustrations or some descriptions ala scriptwriting style. Hehe.
Post a Comment