Just the other day, I was reading Chapter 2 of the book Experiencing the Spirit by Robert Heidler.In that book, the author recited a story about 4 blind men and an elephant. The 1st man felt the leg and likened the elephant to a tree trunk. The 2nd man felt the body and likened it to a wall. The 3rd man felt the tusk and likened it to a spear. The 4th man felt the trunk and likened it to a huge snake.
In a way, all 4 were right. Yet none of thel 4 were completely right.
The author said that likewise, we who are on the journey of faith, have not fully understood the person of the Holy Spirit.
I draw a parallel in that I have been a Christian since 1979, and was brought up in a Christian home. Yet, I am still learning more and more about God each day.
Just like the 4 blind men who thought they knew what the elephant was like, I thought I knew whom God was while growing up in Sunday School and learning stories about David and Goliath, Samson and Delilah, Moses and the Red Sea, etc. I held the notion that God had "changed" from a jealous God in the Old Testament to a loving God in the New. I know now that He is the same yesterday, today and forever.
I also dismissed tongues and the works of the Holy Spirit. I know now that the Holy Spirit is as relevant today as He was in the apostolic times.
I thought that one should strike a balance between law and grace. I now know that the gospel of grace implies that we are no longer under the law.
The cross used to mean salvation and deliverance from sin. I now know that the finished work also extends to our infirmaties for His divine health and healing, and our poverty in exchange for His riches in glory.
The blind men would never fully comprehend the elephant. Likewise, we as creatures will never fully comprehend our God.
Our God is far greater than words can make known,
Exalted and holy, He reigns on His throne.
In infinite splendor He rules over all;
Yet He feeds the poor sparrows, and He knows when they fall.
He rides the wild heavens, He strides thro’ the seas;
The high mountains tremble to hear His decrees.
His voice with great thunderings sounds from above;
But to His own children He whispers His love.
His power is great and will ever endure,
His wisdom is peaceable, gentle, and pure.
But greater than all these glories I see,
Is the glorious promise that He cares for me.”
1 comment:
hi! i was googling for the words to the song "His power is great and will ever endure...is the glorious promise that he cares for me.." so great to be able to find it here. thanks!
Post a Comment