Saturday, April 7, 2007

A Time of Refreshing

Saturday, 7th April 2007

Our cluster had a Leaders' Retreat in Austin Hills over the Easter weekend.

Just after the 9am service on Good Friday, 17 of us set off in 4 cars for the 2nd link.

Larry (3L3) had a brilliant idea. He gave a walkie-talkie to the driver of each car so that the convoy of cars could keep in constant touch with one another.

[Several of our cluster's members will also be driving up to KL for the Ohana Camp in June, so let's do the same thing then]

There was a bit of a jam to clear customs, but after we did, we headed for a restaurant that is famous for its bittergourd soup. I'm not really a fan of bittergourd, but this soup was delicioso! There was only a very slight tinge of bitter aftertaste. Thanks, Larry and Soo Shan for blessing us with lunch.

After lunch, we headed for Austin Hills resort. The room was humongously big.

We then gathered in our cluster leaders' room for a time of worship and teambuilding activity. The last game were especially meaningful because it reminded us that each of us play a part in the body of Christ.

The Holy Spirit was truly moving in our midst. I had an unpleasant conversation with a fellow brother of mine back in Feb 07, and we had not spoken to each other since then. However, a breakthrough was encountered at this retreat, because I sought his forgiveness and he came over to embrace me in a gesture of reconciliation! Praise the Lord indeed!

Soon, it was time for dinner. Our cluster leaders, Sunny and Yeok Ming brought us to a restaurant, where we had, inter alia, fish head curry and frog legs. The food was equally delicious. Thanks, Sunny and Yeok Ming for blessing us with dinner.

We then headed back to the resort, where we had a time of bowling. After that, we gathered again in the Yaps' room where some of us shared about how we meet our spouses. As we listened to the stories, we acknowledge that God is indeed an awesome God because the way He brought the different couples together was unique, and yet similar in the sense that His hand was in action in the circumstances that He had shaped.

One of the decals on my car says "Coincidence is when God chooses to remain anonymous". Amen!

Speaking of the decals on my car, I am truly grateful to the LORD for His protection. When a dear sister saw the decals, she warned me about the danger of driving up to Malaysia. I took heed about what she said, but having dedicated the car to the LORD, I did not want to now have to peel off the decals. So I asked everyone I knew to pray for the LORD's angels to surround and protect His vehicle. And praise the LORD! There was not a single stratch on it when I inspected it upon arriving home.

But I digress.

After that time of sharing, it was time to call it a night.

The next morning, after breakfast, we gathered again in the Yaps' room. After worship, our cluster leaders shared with us about the need to remain connected with God, so that our ministry will be fruitful. I was reminded of Sunny's favourite verse (Jn 15:5) where Jesus talks about Him being the vine and we the branches. Apart from Him, we can do nothing. So we need to keep connected to the LORD.

It was free-and-easy time for the next one and a half hours. We then checked out and headed for the mega shopping centrre Tusco for shopping and lunch.

After lunch, we went to check out the "church of chapalang" (a private joke).
There is even a ready-to-use baptismal pool (another private joke).

Soon it was time to head back to Singapore.

As I reflect back upon the events, I thank the LORD for this time of refreshing. The best thing to happen to me in PLMC is to join the 3L cluster, and I felt the LORD reminding me about the dynamics of ministry in the larger body of Christ.

At our cell meetings, we as cell leaders are serving and ministering to our cell members. In turn, we need to be ministered to, and that is where the leaders' cell comes in, where we are cell members. In turn, the cluster leaders receive ministry at the cluster leaders' cell.

In fact, I am also already looking forward to the next cell leaders' retreat, and my prayer is that there will be 100% attendance.

Shalom

No comments: