Thursday, January 3, 2008

Hearing The Rhema Word of Christ

Thursday, 3rd January 2008

An often-quoted verse in the Bible is Rom 10:17. The King James Version reads "Faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the Word of God."

If we look at the original Greek text, Paul is referring to specifically to the rhema word of Christ.

Ah ya, what's the big deal, some of you may be asking.

The entire 66 books of the Bible form the "Word of God". However, not everything in the logos Word given by our Creator God causes our faith to rise at a particular point in time. Let me elaborate...

For example, I may be reading a portion from the book of Genesis about the flood of Noah, or I may be listening to a law-based sermon. At the end of that exercise, my level of faith does not increase (and on occasion, may even be reduced!)

Yes, I have read from the Word of God or even listened to a sermon where passages from the Word of God is being referred to. However, my faith level has not increased because the rhema Word of Christ was absent.

Now contrast this to the following scenarios.

(1) I am doing my quiet time and meditating on Psalm 23. As I reflect on verse 6, "Surely goodness and lovingkindness will pursue me all the days of my life", I hear the Lord telling me, "Son, my blessings will hunt you down. Just rest in your position of righteousness in me." My faith level rises because I know Jesus, the Good Shepherd, provides all for His sheep. This passage of Scripture has become the rhema word of Christ.

(2) I pop in Ps Reuben's sermon entitled "I Shouldn't Be Here" into the CD player in my car. As I listen (again) to his testimony about how God turned his life around, and the extent of the love of Abba Father as depicted in the parable of the Prodigal Son, tears just flow freely down my face as I sense anew how much God the Father loves me too. My faith level rises and my opinion of God gets better. I have just heard the rhema word of Christ.

And that folks, is the acid test about whether you are hearing the Word of Christ.

In fact, if you look at the context of Rom 10, you will see that Paul is specifically referring to hearing the rhema Word of Christ via the preaching of it.

Rom 10:14
"How then will they call on Him in whom they have not believed? How will they believe in Him whom they have not heard? And how will they hear without a preacher?"

What this means is that pastors have a great responsibility to preach the "rhema word of Christ" rather than from the "logos Word of God" if they want to see their congregation being strengthened in their faith.

May God raise up more anointed preachers, so that we can hear the rhema Word of Christ. Amen?

No comments: