Saturday, January 17, 2009

A Recipient of Mercy

Saturday, 17th January 2009

So much has been spoken about God's grace, but it actually goes hand-in-hand with God's mercy.

To explain these 2 words simply:
Grace = getting the good things we do not deserve
Mercy = not getting the bad things that we do deserve

Because of God's mercy, we did not get the bad things we deserved. Instead, God's judgement fell upon Jesus. God's greatest act of mercy took place 2,000 years ago on that cross.

As a result of that great act of mercy, God's grace now profusely abounds upon us the New Covenant believer. We get the good things we do not deserve because God does not see us, but He sees Christ in us, the hope of glory.

Speaking of mercy, I was on the receiving end of it recently. I was with my family traveling along the KPE on New Year's Day at what I thought was a reasonable speed, when suddenly we saw a flash of lights.

It suddenly dawned upon me that the speed limit in the tunnel was only 70km/h and so I said to myself, "Oh oh. Kena saman liao." I was prepared to pay a fine, but I hoped that there would be no demerit points.

Just last Saturday, I received a letter from the Traffic Police. To my pleasant surprise, the header read "Advisory Notice of Speeding Offence".

It said that I would have been fined $130 and awarded 4 demerit points, but they were letting me off the hook this time around.

Thanks, TP for extending mercy to me and not giving me the bad thing which I deserved.

Readers, please drive safely when in the KPE and adhere to the speed limit of 70km/h :-D

No comments: