Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Forever Family

Tuesday, 8th January 2008

In yesterday's post, I mentioned about an article that resonated deeply in my heart written by TRAC President, Rev Dr Wee Boon Hup.

In that article found in the 4th quarter edition of OnTrac entitled "Forever Family", he talks about church-hopping being an undesirable option.

As I read it, I realise what he says applies to my own situation. I had entertained thoughts about leaving PLMC, giving the excuse about not being fed. But the truth of the matter is that a mature believer has to learn to feed himself.

I also realise that it was out of my own self-interest that I had wanted to cross over to join NCC. But now, not only do I have to consider my own family, but that of my brother-in-law as well.

Like what Rev Dr Wee said in the article, those with a sense of community and family with their church will not quit. Neither will they lead a revolt to divide the church.

So rather than complain about not being fed, I should just continue to feed myself, supplementing my spiritual food intake by listening to the 300-plus Ps Prince sermons I have subscribed to, whilst still maintaining ties with others here in PLMC by attending the services here (and being used as His vessel and agent to change things from the inside).

Thanks, Rev Dr Wee for a most timely reminder that we are forever family.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

dear malcolm,
i rejoice with u as u continue to discover His will for u in PLMC. i believe God has a plan for u to remain there.

As for me and some of my friends, we left pl not bcos we are inmature and are cry babies who felt that the church did not meet our needs. The family that was supposed to be in pl has turned into an organisation.

i have been in pl for more almost 20 years and pl was my home. however, for the past 2 years things have changed. we used to feast but now there is famine. Yes, it's true that we should feed ourselves (bcos mature believer has to learn to feed himself), a mature believer must also know where to look for more food.
i cannot help but to feel condemned by pl sermons. It's always about us being not good enough, us not doing enough, us not loving Him enough etc. and every now and then the preacher will even criticised other churches' doctrine. What i used to know was that God loves me very very much. But it's hardly preached now, it's always we didnt do this, we should do that, we should not have... I feel more like a sinner in Christ than a victor in Christ after every service. family should not have leaders dat dictate beliefs.

As family we should support each other. like what dr wee said as famly members, we should share our concerns and support each other. but in pl, it's an organisation. there are leaders and members. family is not the leaders. the leaders tell u what to do and u do it, no question asked. they hear your cries but they never listen. they tell u that u are not good enough and even doze off while u share.

Famly also knows when to let go and release unto greater things. and i have to learn to let go painfully.

lastly, may God deal with me as graciously as he did with u dat i may celebrate with u

Malcolm Loh said...

Hi unpacking

Thanks for your feedback. I have forwarded it to Rev Dr Wee so that he is kept informed about what is happening here in PLMC.

Actually, I suspect he already had some inkling because he sent us a grace-based preacher to replace a law-based one back in Aug 2007.

It's too bad you did not stay on long enough to hear his sermons, but I've made them available on this blog.

Anyway, do not feel condemned in any way, because we who are in Christ have no more condemnation.

Anonymous said...

hi malcolm, there is no need to forward it to rev dr wee. his hands are tied and it was really not necessary to go up to that level.
anyway, i dont feel condemned cos we are all in Christ. i wish u well and hope to see u around. and maybe one day we can have a meal or a drink at botak jones. love that place too!
anyway, have u tried ashton at katong? nice!

Malcolm Loh said...

Hi Unpacking

The reason I sent your comments to Rev Dr Wee is because he is an old boy of PLMC, and he has a certain sentimental attachment to it.

As the TRAC President, it is also his prerogative to place pastors where they are needed.

I've not tried Ashton at Katong. Please drop me an email at mloh77@starhub.net.sg and maybe we can catch up over a meal there...